I'm undecided whether to take the Shell or this Castrol:
Castrol Edge FST 0w40
Specs:
V 100° : 13.5.
V 40°: 79.
Viscosity Index: 169.
HTHS: unknow

Any advice?

European Castrol Edge is not even related to US labeled Edge, its a completely different animal with the same name.
I have used both these oils at one time or another. Both are excellent, i don't think there is enough difference between them to call one better or worse.

Buy the one that is cheapest or most available.
JMO

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

What oil grades are recommended by Honda?
BTW, cute car.

In my engine Honda recommends Acea A1/B1, A3B3 or A5/B5 with grades 0w30, 0w40, 5w30, 5w40, 10w30, 10w40 (with 0w30 and 0w40 best choices), so no problem with grades.
wink.gif

Thanks for that.
You haven't mentioned how you drive your little Civic FX3?
Unless you do a lot of flat out driving on the Autostrada you don't likely need a 40wt oil. A high VI (at least 175) 0W/5W-30 would be an option to Shell Helix 0W-40.
Just a thought.

Cheers!

Hi CATERHAM.
Well, my driving is 50% autostrada and 50% urban with very very high traffic
smile.gif
. Any days i perform many stop and go ;(

Unless you do a lot of flat out driving on the Autostrada you don't likely need a 40wt oil.

Why?

Because the only real lubrication benefit of a 40wt oil would be if you are some how generating very high oil temp's and that would require a lot of WOT to occur if at all.
Additionally, a 40wt oil can offset higher than normal oil consumption that can occur when a lot of high rev's are used continuously like during very high cruising speeds.

That's the reason a 40wt oil is not specified by Honda here in North America; no high speed driving.

I would go for a 0w30/5w30 with HTHS around 3.0. Anything higher than that will just sap power and gas mileage with no real benefits/

Because the only real lubrication benefit of a 40wt oil would be if you are some how generating very high oil temp's and that would require a lot of WOT to occur if at all.
Additionally, a 40wt oil can offset higher than normal oil consumption that can occur when a lot of high rev's are used continuously like during very high cruising speeds.

That's the reason a 40wt oil is not specified by Honda here in North America; no high speed driving.

Thanks for the clarification CATERHAM.

Originally Posted By: Vincenzo_f

Thanks for the clarification CATERHAM.

In your case I would go with Castrole Edge 0W30!

Last edited:
The VI of the Shell Helix is much higher at 186 so I would prefer that oil being significantly lighter on start-up.

What oil grades are recommended by Honda?
BTW, cute car.

CATERHAM I take advantage of your expertise to clarify my doubt about VI. Higher VI is always a benefit?

Originally Posted By: edyvw

In your case I would go with Castrole Edge 0W30!

Edy, actually is out of stock so i decided to try another "option".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back