Turn the AC off before you shut the car off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
My wife never turns the AC off before shutting the car off. So when you start the car up the next day, it immediately goes on. Is that bad?

I have been leaving mine on in all my cars all the time all year long since 1970..The a/c has been on in my 05 Vic since the day I brought it home back in 2005.

If there was a issue with leaving the a/c on all the time all year long I would have known about it by now..My entire family [and friends] leave their a/c on all the time.

I am very surprised to see so many people here shutting their a/c off everytime they get out of their car..That really makes no sense to me..Just IMHO.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
My wife never turns the AC off before shutting the car off. So when you start the car up the next day, it immediately goes on. Is that bad?

I have been leaving mine on in all my cars all the time all year long since 1970..The a/c has been on in my 05 Vic since the day I brought it home back in 2005.

If there was a issue with leaving the a/c on all the time all year long I would have known about it by now..My entire family [and friends] leave their a/c on all the time.

I am very surprised to see so many people here shutting their a/c off everytime they get out of their car..That really makes no sense to me..Just IMHO.

I don't like to start the engine and immediately get a blast of air in the face as I plug in my phone charger!

I typically do this. My wife never does. I learned this from my uncle when I was very young. This was the same uncle that drove 2 MPH over railroad tracks
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

I don't like to start the engine and immediately get a blast of air in the face as I plug in my phone charger!

I never get a blast of air in my face..I do not even like the air blowing in face at anytime..Most cars have a low setting for their climate control system for the fan speed..If you can not figure out how to set your climate control system to low position maybe you should go back to your dealer and they can show you how..While you are there they can show you how to work all your other accessories.

I usually shut the A/C off with fan on low sometimes up to a quarter mile before reaching my driveway. It's still blows some cold residue. As I'm pulling into the driveway, I'm shutting off all (lights if on, fan, radio, radar detector, GPS etc.) - Habit

The compressor might be cycled OFF anyway when you shut the engine off. They don't run nonstop. I agree it takes more than a b;ock to drain the evap chamber of water.

Last edited:
good point, most modern compressors do spend a lot of time with the clutch open as well as closed!

Down here when you park a car with a good AC it drains water for several minutes after you leave!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

I never get a blast of air in my face..I do not even like the air blowing in face at anytime..Most cars have a low setting for their climate control system for the fan speed..If you can not figure out how to set your climate control system to low position maybe you should go back to your dealer and they can show you how..While you are there they can show you how to work all your other accessories.

I love how the condescension just DRIPS off every word!

I turn it off before I get there just to let it dry off a little, else I get that weird lockerroom smell from the HVAC on startup. And yeah, I perfer it off if I can get away with it, more power more better.

More MPG too.

I keep mine set on Auto all the time - let the car figure it out.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
And yeah, I perfer it off if I can get away with it, more power more better.

More MPG too.

With modern cycling compressors the MPG effect is nil - has been debunked may times by many people. If you roll the windows down you mess with the drag and increase it, decreasing MPG.

And performance - Almost all (if not all) cars built in the last 20-30 years shut off the AC at WOT so you still get max performance.

Originally Posted By: Kestas

This gives the evaporator a chance to dry off and prevent the formation of mold, which smells bad.

+1. This is the only reason I do it.

Same here. ^^^

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I typically do this. My wife never does. I learned this from my uncle when I was very young. This was the same uncle that drove 2 MPH over railroad tracks
smile.gif

Uh, we have some train tracks here that if you didnt drive 2mph over them, you will break something.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
I keep mine set on Auto all the time - let the car figure it out.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
And yeah, I perfer it off if I can get away with it, more power more better.

More MPG too.

With modern cycling compressors the MPG effect is nil - has been debunked may times by many people. If you roll the windows down you mess with the drag and increase it, decreasing MPG.

And performance - Almost all (if not all) cars built in the last 20-30 years shut off the AC at WOT so you still get max performance.

This ^^^ My '07 Grand Marquis actually shuts off the A/C at approx 1/2 throttle, sometimes can be a bit irritating...

In the summer I never shut off my A/C, never had a musty odor from any vehicle... If you are going to park the vehicle for a week or more after using the A/C, maybe it'd be beneficial to operate the blower on vent for a few minutes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back