2003 Lexus ES300 ATF Replacement Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to help out my wife's friend who is recently widowed and fretting about her car. She had a trans service done at 98k by the dealer-dropped pan, changed filter and replenished fluid (Type IV). She now has 113k. Dealer told her she should have ATF changed at 125k. I found an Owners Manual on-line which does not call for any ATF change except under severe operating conditions.

If it were my car I would do a complete ATF replacement right now via cooler line but owner is really watching her pennies.

I have owned several Lexus and Toyota vehicles and found all of their recommended service intervals for ATF were inconsistent and illogical. I always followed my own schedule and changed out ATF every 25k miles, especially on my RX 300 which had a weak tranny design.

What do you folks recommend for this ES 300? Thanks.

Last edited:
The filter Toyota uses is really just a fine screen. I haven't replaced mine yet. T-IV is a highly friction modified clean running fluid, there is very little varnish or gelling like the former Dex III. For a drain and fill your getting +- 1/3 of capacity. T-IV ages grey. If its grey to a paper towel give it another drain. Purple still ok. Otherwise 30k for a drain and fill is good for T-IV.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
The filter Toyota uses is really just a fine screen. I haven't replaced mine yet. T-IV is a highly friction modified clean running fluid, there is very little varnish or gelling like the former Dex III. For a drain and fill your getting +- 1/3 of capacity. T-IV ages grey. If its grey to a paper towel give it another drain. Purple still ok. Otherwise 30k for a drain and fill is good for T-IV.

Thanks. Is your 30k recommendation taking into account the fact that the first service didn't happen until 98k? That means 2/3 of the original fluid will be in there for 128k miles.

Originally Posted By: artbuc

Thanks. Is your 30k recommendation taking into account the fact that the first service didn't happen until 98k? That means 2/3 of the original fluid will be in there for 128k miles.

My statement took that into account, I highlighted above.

Surprised the dealer didn't just flush it, opting for a drain and filter instead. Tells me they thought the fluid was in bad shape, hesitant to flush. Use the highlighted text above as a guide what to do.

The drain and fill is slightly under 4qts. if the level is good, simply measure what comes out. Also check the drain bolt. May be a 10mm hex socket like mine. Not a common socket to have around.
http://www.sears.com/lisle-corp-3-8-driv...p;blockType=G11

The transmission bolt is less tight than an oil drain bolt. Pay attention to the effort coming off.

Surprised the dealer didn't just flush it, opting for a drain and filter instead. Tells me they thought the fluid was in bad shape, hesitant to flush. Use the highlighted text above as a guide what to do.

The drain and fill is slightly under 4qts. if the level is good, simply measure what comes out. Also check the drain bolt. May be a 10mm hex socket like mine. Not a common socket to have around.
http://www.sears.com/lisle-corp-3-8-driv...p;blockType=G11

The transmission bolt is less tight than an oil drain bolt. Pay attention to the effort coming off.

As I indicated,I have owned/own several Lexus/Toyota cars and have done numerous ATF drain/fills and total replacements via the cooler line, so I have the 10mm hex. Based on my experience with Lexus dealers, I wouldn't read anything into the fact they didn't do a flush. In fact, the two dealers I have experience with did not even have a flush machine and did only drain/fills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back