Mobil 1 0w30 dexos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this question has been previously answered, please point me to the response. Why is Mobil 1 0w30 NOT dexos approved whereas Mobil 1 5w30 is? If Mobil 1 0w30 was dexos approved, I would probably use it rather than GC 0w30 - I know GC 0w30 is not dexos approved either, but I consider it superior to non-dexos Mobil 1 0w30. Before dexos came to be, Mobil claimed either Mobil 0w30 or 5w30 were interchangable in GM cars - now not!

I'd love to run a 0w-30 in my Cruze.

Probably it's licensing fees, and not wanting to confuse the average Joe in Wal-Mart staring at the 5-quart jugs of oil deciding which is "better" to run for 3000 miles...

Originally Posted By: john1944
If Mobil 1 0w30 was dexos approved, I would probably use it rather than GC 0w30 - I know GC 0w30 is not dexos approved either, but I consider it superior to non-dexos Mobil 1 0w30.

I can't answer your question as to why M1 0W-30 is not dexos approved, but GM does not actually forbid one from using it so why don't you if you're concerned about extreme cold starts?
What are the coldest temp's you starting you vehicle un-aided?
M1 0W-30 is a much lighter oil to GC which really is an inappropriate choice being even heavier than even M1 0W-40 on start-up at temp's as high as 80F.

BTW, PP 5W-30 is dexos approved and is even lighter than M1 0W-30 at all but extreme cold temp's; say below -30F or so.

You and your engine would never even know the difference between Mobil 1 5w-30 and Mobil 1 0w-30.

If it's a direct-injection vehicle use whichever synthetic is cheaper - it's not like you'll be doing extended OCIs with it.

GM requires the manufacturer to pay a licensing fee as well as a fee per/gal. of the oils that carry the dexos logo. As GM specifies 5w-30 for the current dexos1 approvals, then XM is not going to submit 0w-30 at this time. Simple enough.FWIW--Oldtommy

GM specifically requires/recommends 5W-30 for virtually all their U.S. engines so dexos at any other weight would be contrary to their specification. No company could reasonably be expected to put out a dexos licensed oil other than 5W-30 since GM's dexos license is ONLY for "5W-30" and GM would never grant a license if they tried.

If this question has been previously answered, please point me to the response. Why is Mobil 1 0w30 NOT dexos approved whereas Mobil 1 5w30 is? If Mobil 1 0w30 was dexos approved, I would probably use it rather than GC 0w30 - I know GC 0w30 is not dexos approved either, but I consider it superior to non-dexos Mobil 1 0w30. Before dexos came to be, Mobil claimed either Mobil 0w30 or 5w30 were interchangable in GM cars - now not!

As the others say, currently dexos1 is only licensed for the SAE 5W-30 viscosity.

The main difference between dexos1 and SN/GF-5 is NOACK, 13% and 15% respectively. (1) NOACK increases when the first number in SAE xW-Y decreases. (2) NOACK also increases when the base-oil quality decreases from Group IV to III to II to I.

We don't know the NOACK on Mobil 1 0W-30; so, we don't know whether it would satisfy the 13% requirement of dexos1 or not if GM started licensing dexos1 for SAE 0W-30.

Nevertheless, it's perfectly OK to run a fully synthetic SAE 0W-30 in a dexos1-specifying engine after the warranty period.

Originally Posted By: JRed
You and your engine would never even know the difference between Mobil 1 5w-30 and Mobil 1 0w-30.

If it's a direct-injection vehicle use whichever synthetic is cheaper - it's not like you'll be doing extended OCIs with it.

Why the bias towards direct injection?

I was of the mind, too, that dexos1 is only a 5w-30 specification. Mobil 1 is available in both 5w-30 and 0w-30. The 5w-30 is licensed. Petro-Canada makes synthetics in both 5w-30 and 0w-30. Only the former is licensed.

However, look at the dexos1 approval list here. Idemitsu 0w-30 is licensed globally, as is their 0w-20. Edge with SPT 5w-20 and Edge with Titanium 5w-20 are licensed in Canada. There are other examples.

The first time I saw a grade other than 5w-30 on the list, it was only one, and I thought it was a typo. As we can see, it's something else.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I was of the mind, too, that dexos1 is only a 5w-30 specification. Mobil 1 is available in both 5w-30 and 0w-30. The 5w-30 is licensed. Petro-Canada makes synthetics in both 5w-30 and 0w-30. Only the former is licensed.

However, look at the dexos1 approval list here. Idemitsu 0w-30 is licensed globally, as is their 0w-20. Edge with SPT 5w-20 and Edge with Titanium 5w-20 are licensed in Canada. There are other examples.

The first time I saw a grade other than 5w-30 on the list, it was only one, and I thought it was a typo. As we can see, it's something else.

Ah, thanks Garak!

GM has been talking about extending dexos1 to other SAE viscosity grades. Now, we know that they have done so already.

Therefore, I am taking back what I said earlier that currently dexos1 is only licensed for 5W-30. It was so in the very recent past but obviously not any more.

Once again, the primary difference between SN/GF-5 and dexos1 is NOACK. A fully synthetic SN/GF-5 5W-30 would easily exceed the 13% NOACK requirement of dexos1. But this may not be so for 0W-xx.

As far as Mobil 1 0W-30 is concerned, I am guessing that its NOACK is around 12%, but this is only a guess. There is a chance that it may be more than 13% and therefore may fail to meet dexos1.

But the NOACK is mainly for controlling oil consumption, and even for that purpose, chances are that it doesn't make much difference if NOACK is already less than 15%. For the dexos1 specification, you would be good with any high-quality, major-brand fully synthetic SN/GF-5 oil, even though it's not certified for dexos1, as long as it satisfies the SAE xW-y viscosity and HTHS viscosity (less than 3.5 cP or greater than or equal to 3.5 cP) requirements.

By the way, it's a pity that GM followed the path of the European car makers and has become the only US or Japanese car maker to specify its own certification. We really don't need this useless fragmentation with car-makers' oil certifications.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: Garak

Idemitsu 0w-30 is licensed globally, as is their 0w-20.

That's interesting about Idemitsu but I doubt their 0W-30 is available here in NA.

GMorg, there weren't others licensed before. All the hype and marketing we were exposed to at its launch indicated it would be 5w-30 only. Also, GM has been using 5w-30 only for a very long time. So, while it's wrong to claim that currently only 5w-30s are dexos1 licensed, it was true not that long ago.

On the other side of the coin, can anyone show us a new GM manual that calls for a 0w-20 or 5w-20 dexos1 oil in a North American application? As far as I can tell, at least right now, it's an orphaned certification.

I've heard of oils claiming obsolete specifications, but not a lot about oil companies paying licensing fees for which no applications exist yet.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
john1944 said:
BTW, PP 5W-30 is dexos approved and is even lighter than M1 0W-30 at all but extreme cold temp's; say below -30F or so.

Do you have a PDS spec that you base this statement on? If so, which one? Please explain.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
john1944 said:

Do you have a PDS spec that you base this statement on? If so, which one? Please explain.

PP SN 5W-30 has the same HTHSV of 3.0cP as M1 AFE 0W-30 but a significantly higher 177 VI vs only 166 for M1. Consiquently PP will be lighter at all start-up temp's down to below zero. At what point M1 has an advantage is hard to say but I suspect it will be well below 0F.

The OP hasn't said at what temp's he will be starting his vehicle this coming winter but unless it's consistently below about -30F PP 5W-30 is what I'd use.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
john1944 said:

PP SN 5W-30 has the same HTHSV of 3.0cP as M1 AFE 0W-30 but a significantly higher 177 VI vs only 166 for M1. Consiquently PP will be lighter at all start-up temp's down to below zero. At what point M1 has an advantage is hard to say but I suspect it will be well below 0F.

The OP hasn't said at what temp's he will be starting his vehicle this coming winter but unless it's consistently below about -30F PP 5W-30 is what I'd use.

Do you have newer PP specs than April 2009? This data sheet shows a VI of 169, a pour point of -39 (vs -50 M1) and a MRV of 14,800 at only -35 while M1 0W-30 has an MRV of 13,250 at a colder test temp of -40. This data comparison seems to suggest that the M1 is thinner at cold temps.

Last edited:
Indydriver said:
CATERHAM said:
john1944 said:

My car, a 2003 Chrysler minivan with 245,000 miles, sits outside in the winter (St. Paul, MN) - no engine heater. It isn't consistently below -30F, but it can be below -20F for a spell. Because of the miles on the engine, I like the heavier GC 0w30 and have had no winter starting problems in the past. But GC 0w30 is getting harder for me to find. I do 10,000 oil changes myself and check and top off the oil every 2000 miles.

[, I like the heavier GC 0w30 and have had no winter starting problems in the past. But GC 0w30 is getting harder for me to find. I do 10,000 oil changes myself and check and top off the oil every 2000 miles.

Hard to argue with success. However, if you need to change due to availability, either of the alternatives being discussed should provide similar performance.

I'm impressed as I recently gave up on my 2000 3.3L with 167,000 mainly due to incessant oil leaks. And my vehicle was always kept in a heated garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back