High oil consumption Audi a6 N/A v6 rotella t6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was using M1 0w40 last oil change and it used about 1.5 quart in 4500 miles.
Which was OK with me.

I switched to rotella t6 5w40 and it has used a quart in 1400 miles. What can I do to reduce the consumption? I have never let the low oil light come on. The car has no leaks.

The last owner (a friend of mine) said he had seafoamed the engines crank case with very small amount Seafoam and ran it for 1000 miles. I'm sort of concerned that this is why the consumption is high? No smoke from exhaust or any sOrt of unusual behavior.

The car is driven in Texas, the climate is wicked hot and ac is constant running.

Is it possible the engine burns m1 0-40 (which is thinner) Less than the thicker rotella 5w40?

Last edited:
Oil consumption sometimes spikes briefly when you chage oil brands. Give the engine a bit of time to 'settle' with the T6.

It is not uncommon for oil consumption to increase after a change in chemistry/viscosity, but what you have reported is more of a shift than I would expect. Is this particular engine known to "shear" the oil?

I don't know of any shearing with the 2.8l v6 30 valve.
The car is known for numerous oil leaks but I have fixed them all.

My experience was flipped. Burned a lot of oil on M1, switched to T6 and it dropped by 50%. Not sure why you would burn more T6 which is thicker. PCV blockage? I'd check that.

There have been posts on the web regarding increased oil consumption, ticking, etc shortly after use of Seafoam but it usually dissipates over 1k or so. If you haven't used it recently, don't think its a cause.

I have a friend who bought a CPO 2003 A6 3.0, with 40k on it, he now has 80k and he has complained about it using over a qt before 5,000 miles. Only dealer Castrol oil changes since he owned it

Some of the Audi turbos have a very bad reputation for frying oil, which results in varnish and long term trouble. The cheaper dino oils in particular are a real Audi or VW turbo killer.
Only use a top quality Audi approved oil (Probably Castrol Edge, Liqui Moly Synthoil High tech or Mobil 1 etc)and never, ever use a non Audi oil filter.
Always keep the oil level close to maximum!!

Last edited:
I've said it once ill say it again, m1 is junk and that is why you are having to add, when will people learn to stick with good old.Dino and change it more often.

Originally Posted By: boosted
Dino and change it more often.

That may apply to some older Audis - it certainly worked on mine. However, what "dino" would you recommend for a brand new Audi? I can't think of any that meet the manufacturer's specifications.

Hi,

I've said it once ill say it again, m1 is junk and that is why you are having to add, when will people learn to stick with good old.Dino and change it more often.

boosted - You may say it once and say it again - but actually it means very little what you say. The runs are on the board for M1 and keep being added to!

Did you read his entire post or did you just stop reading after you saw "M1" and immediately proceeded to ranting?

He stated that he switched to T6, and his consumption got even worse.

My thinking is that he has an engine issue that's not related to a particular oil. I highly doubt switching to mineral oil would make the consumption stop.

By the way, I use M1 0w-40 in our C300 and it consumes no oil to speak of between 10K OCIs.

I'm not overly familiar with that engine. But at that consumption rate with an NA version, I agree that there is something else going on. I know it has its fans and detractors, but perhaps a little ARX might clean up the ring packs a little.

My experience with T6 is that consumption almost always lessens where it is an issue.

Blanket statements like these add nothing to the discussion.

I've now put 2100 miles on the rotella and ive added somewhere between 1000 ML and 1250 ML already. 1.25 QT

What can i do to reduce the consumption?
I will not use rotella again, I dont care how cheap it is.

riddle me this: does it seem possible that this engine "likes" and therefore burns less of the M1 than the "thicker" rotella?

How can i clean the rings? I dont want to add anything else in the crankcase besides the M1. Would the M1 just clean the rings over time?

I believe audi says 1QT under 1000 miles is OK. But i hae a feeling they set the bar down so low only so they dont get many warranty claims.

Originally Posted By: audia6
I believe audi says 1QT under 1000 miles is OK. But i hae a feeling they set the bar down so low only so they dont get many warranty claims.

Maybe so.
Many manufacturers claim that a quart in 1K is within the normal range.
Anyway, why not just go back to M1?
M1 0W-40 bought on sale is no more costly than T6, and has a much higher VI.
I would check through the PCV system to ensure that it's working, but after that, just go back to M1.
Also, do not top up when the oil is a bit below the full level.
Let it decline to the point that it will take at least a quart.
You might see lower consumption at lower sump levels.
This Audi has a low oil light on the dash, no?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: audia6

Maybe so.
Many manufacturers claim that a quart in 1K is within the normal range.
Anyway, why not just go back to M1?
M1 0W-40 bought on sale is no more costly than T6, and has a much higher VI.
I would check through the PCV system to ensure that it's working, but after that, just go back to M1.
Also, do not top up when the oil is a bit below the full level.
Let it decline to the point that it will take at least a quart.
You might see lower consumption at lower sump levels.

This Audi has a low oil light on the dash, no?

I switched because i thought switching to a thicker oil would reduce my consumption. And people over at audizine talk about how well their car is with rotella and how satified they are i thought hey, why not.

And ive been driving in such heat here in texas i thought the engine might benifit from the 5w40. (oil temp at 225) HOT!

Woulnt running the oil low cause damage to the engine?

The low oil light never once came on on me even when the dip stick stated i was at the lowest point. I believe thr light goes off when its too late lol.

Sorry for the grammer mistakes. Typing on my iphone.

Also the consumption in the m1 was starting to increse as the summer started as well. Does weather play a role in consimption? In winter temps are 65ish and in summer reaching 100+

Hi,
audia6 - Driving style and application are the major factors (after engine design/condition) in monitoring oil consumption. Engine operating temperatures (oil & coolant) are more important than ambient temperature

Many people agonise over oil consumption - if it is within the Manufacturer's parameters it is actually benefitial to oil and engine life

Of course using the correct specification lubricant is a given

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back