New FRAM Ultra filters are NOT used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xil

I've been lurking here for years and this is my first post. I felt like I had to do something to clear up some misconceptions stemming from a recent post about someone finding a "used" fram ultra filter at walmart.

No, I don't work for fram. I just happened to have purchased 5 new fram ultra's for my mitsubishi so I have a bunch of samples here to check out. The filters I have should (with changing it out every other OC) be enough to take my car almost to 100k.

Anyway, onto the business. I actually returned the fram TG and exchanged it for the Ultra because of what I read on this forum (might as well have the best). When I examined the filters, the inside appeared to have a thin film of protective oil on the metal, it's not oil. However, the seal is dry. What appeared to be "used oil" around the plate is actually some kinda hard resin used to seal the end cap. The marks are due to an appalling paint job, not a filter wrench. Even the rim of the filter looks used but it's actually just honest to god poor quality on the paint. It took me a while to set up a good macro shot of the media but as you can see, it's also dry.

2dselb5.jpg

LOL that's silly...used filters? Well they would not be used by walmart themselves. FOr one, they crush all their used filters heh...and I think it's rare for a customer to upgrade to an xg filter
smile.gif

I do not know about all this used filter stuff, but those filters are built like tanks. I looked at one not long ago. Have yet to pull the trigger and try one though..

Thanks! I think that some of the sure grip flakes off as the filter and box was tossed around. Whats your opinion about that?

It's probably been sitting on the shelf so long it's decaying like most of the Kmart oil artifacts.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
It's probably been sitting on the shelf so long it's decaying like most of the Kmart oil artifacts.

Ummmm, ultra filters just hit the market recently.

I'm convinced that the Fram Ultra is a superior filter (its about time)....and equal or better then the K&N, M-1, Bosch Distance Plus, Puro Sunthetic, as well as some other high-tier filters.

At $8.97 at WalMart.....its also a best buy.

Since its a 15K filter.....I will purchase one for my Focus....and do two OCI;s (7000 +/-) on each filter....with M-1 0w20.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
I'm convinced that the Fram Ultra is a superior filter (its about time)....and equal or better then the K&N, M-1, Bosch Distance Plus, Puro Sunthetic, as well as some other high-tier filters.

Since its a 15K filter.....I will purchase one for my Focus....and do two OCI;s (7000 +/-) on each filter....with M-1 0w20.

I stopped using the XG when Walmart started selling the cheap classics. Didnt make sense for a 6k OCI. I would like to go back to the Ultra and leave it on for 2 OC's but I prime my filters so I know that means 1/4-1/3 qt of old oil will be left behind. Am I just being fussy? Or is it better to get out as much as I can?

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

I stopped using the XG when Walmart started selling the cheap classics. Didnt make sense for a 6k OCI. I would like to go back to the Ultra and leave it on for 2 OC's but I prime my filters so I know that means 1/4-1/3 qt of old oil will be left behind. Am I just being fussy? Or is it better to get out as much as I can?

It would seem that a 6000 OCI would work perfect for using the ULTRA for two OCI's.

If your really fussy....just remove the filter after the first OC....drain as much oil as possible from the filter....and re-attach.

Looking at your last picture, I'm sure you can understand why someone might think an oil filter wrench had been used on that filter.

Note to Purolator and Fram: If you guys cannot paint a textured coating properly, don't bother trying; both your companies (and competitors) make and have made millions upon millions of oil filters without grip paint, and people still somehow use them.

It would seem that a 6000 OCI would work perfect for using the ULTRA for two OCI's.

If your really fussy....just remove the filter after the first OC....drain as much oil as possible from the filter....and re-attach.

Yeah, going to be a battle with my mind to re-install a used filter.
crazy2.gif
Will convince myself doing that will keep it from getting stuck

Yeah, going to be a battle with my mind to re-install a used filter.
crazy2.gif
Will convince myself doing that will keep it from getting stuck

Once you do it and see how "clean" the new oil looks when you've left the filter in place it probably won't bother you much anymore.

Thanks! I think that some of the sure grip flakes off as the filter and box was tossed around. Whats your opinion about that?

The inside of the box is kinda rough, and it rubs off some of the coating during shipping. But its just at the contact, very little. Not like it's flaking off on its own.

Definitely going back to the XG/Ultra with sure grip after tonight. My first OC with a Puro classic installed - spent 1/2 hour swearing trying to get it off. Same hand tightness I always use. Now I'm spooked wondering if the replacement Puro classic is tight enough.

Definitely going back to the XG/Ultra with sure grip after tonight. My first OC with a Puro classic installed - spent 1/2 hour swearing trying to get it off. Same hand tightness I always use. Now I'm spooked wondering if the replacement Puro classic is tight enough.

Or you could use a PureOne with it's textured paint, price wise right in between the two and an excellent filter, but I do like those top of the line Frams, have a couple on deck and looking forward to trying them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back