initial thoughts, the new Dest. LE2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was asking about these if a previous thread. This is a new tire with minimal data out there on them.

265-70-16

The Destination LE2 replaces the previous LE, which was sold as a decent, sub-premium, all-around LT/SUV tire. The previous version was more truck-based in it's design-- heavier, more aggressive tread design (still in the all-season category), and a bit more noisy. The LE2 is following the trend of the SUV/CUV becoming pure on road vehicles. The LE2 is also priced higher than the old LE, at ~$180 per corner.

I'll skip description and specs--- those are available everywhere.
1. they are very quiet. they issue some white noise, but no hum or growl. Far quieter than the old LE, either old or new.
2. they track very nicely. they are not razor sharp like a lo-profile, but they do not wander like the previous yokohama geolanders did. In my application they seem spot-on.
3. damp pavement traction- too early to say much-- but they are certainly outperforming the old tires.
4. they ride smooth, small cracks/bumps are not carried through (compared to the yoka/goodyear combo when they were at same or lower pressure).
5. they do feel more lightweight at the wheel.
6. mud & off-road grip expected to be minimal. the previous LE was decent for light trail use IME.
7. smooth as glass going down the road. A very good tire in this regard.
8. dry pavement turns--- they track well and do not balk during the transition from a mild to aggressive turn. You can feel them roll in some but they do not seem to change personality as some do during the transitions.

The LE2 claims a 15% lower rolling resistance than the LE. I can't measure the two, but the LE2 at 29psi coasts notably easier in my truck at 45mph and below than the previous mix of tires that were running 35psi.

other observations-- dramatically different weights were needed when I look at the install. some tires hardly needed any. Others used some pretty hefty lead. Regardless, I can't feel any vibration on the road... they may come with various imbalance, but they were not out-of-round or have tread walk that I've seen in the past with LEs, Uniroyals, and others.

Overall opinion-- I think these tires will be good at exactly what they are intended to be. I suspect that they will perform well as daily-driver road tires with a nice blend of grip, road manners and comfort, while not excelling in any one area. Their weight ratings fall in line with the other tires listed for this truck, despite weighing in on the lighter side. I do expect to see a small but measurable mpg increase, in the .25-.5mpg realm, compared to what came off.

m!

Last edited:
is this on the tundra? are they load range C or what?

What load range were the oem tires.

to get the same capacity out of load range C tires they have to be inflated more than standard p-metric type.

well I thought the tundra was in the 1/2 ton class. most of those come with load range C

Well I did a little research it does seem that toyota put P-metric tires on a 1/2 ton?

Last edited:
Pretty much backwards Rand. Most 1/2 ton trucks sport P-metric tires from the factory. There are virtually no tires in this size in a Load Range C. (Note the 70 profile - not the 75 profile size that has a ton of options in P-Metric and LT series tires).

Originally Posted By: Rand
well I thought the tundra was in the 1/2 ton class. most of those come with load range C

Well I did a little research it does seem that toyota put P-metric tires on a 1/2 ton?

Most 1/2 ton trucks have P-metric tires from the factory. Only when you get to the 3/4 ton trucks does the factory generally install LT-spec tires (with C or E load ranges). There are exceptions I'm sure, but as a general rule, most 1/2 tons come with P-metrics.

These are oem-sized p-metrics. rated at 2400 lbs per tire. every option I saw listed for this truck was between 2200 and 2900 lbs.

Vehicle dry weight is around 4500 lbs (surprisingly a bit light). Max cargo capacity is 1500 lbs IIRC. I don't recall seeing any LT-listed tires come back on my searches.

My Nissan Frontier takes the same size tires. There are a few LT tires, but most of them are P-Metric.

Thanks for your input on these tires. I'm going to need new tires this fall, and I'm starting to think these might be the way to go. I want something that will give me decent traction and be as quiet as possible on the highway.

Originally Posted By: meep
I was asking about these if a previous thread. This is a new tire with minimal data out there on them.

265-70-16

The Destination LE2 replaces the previous LE, which was sold as a decent, sub-premium, all-around LT/SUV tire. The previous version was more truck-based in it's design-- heavier, more aggressive tread design (still in the all-season category), and a bit more noisy. The LE2 is following the trend of the SUV/CUV becoming pure on road vehicles. The LE2 is also priced higher than the old LE, at ~$180 per corner.

I'll skip description and specs--- those are available everywhere.
1. they are very quiet. they issue some white noise, but no hum or growl. Far quieter than the old LE, either old or new.
2. they track very nicely. they are not razor sharp like a lo-profile, but they do not wander like the previous yokohama geolanders did. In my application they seem spot-on.
3. damp pavement traction- too early to say much-- but they are certainly outperforming the old tires.
4. they ride smooth, small cracks/bumps are not carried through (compared to the yoka/goodyear combo when they were at same or lower pressure).
5. they do feel more lightweight at the wheel.
6. mud & off-road grip expected to be minimal. the previous LE was decent for light trail use IME.
7. smooth as glass going down the road. A very good tire in this regard.
8. dry pavement turns--- they track well and do not balk during the transition from a mild to aggressive turn. You can feel them roll in some but they do not seem to change personality as some do during the transitions.

The LE2 claims a 15% lower rolling resistance than the LE. I can't measure the two, but the LE2 at 29psi coasts notably easier in my truck at 45mph and below than the previous mix of tires that were running 35psi.

other observations-- dramatically different weights were needed when I look at the install. some tires hardly needed any. Others used some pretty hefty lead. Regardless, I can't feel any vibration on the road... they may come with various imbalance, but they were not out-of-round or have tread walk that I've seen in the past with LEs, Uniroyals, and others.

Overall opinion-- I think these tires will be good at exactly what they are intended to be. I suspect that they will perform well as daily-driver road tires with a nice blend of grip, road manners and comfort, while not excelling in any one area. Their weight ratings fall in line with the other tires listed for this truck, despite weighing in on the lighter side. I do expect to see a small but measurable mpg increase, in the .25-.5mpg realm, compared to what came off.

m!

Thanks for the info. However, I am not so sure the LE2 is going to replace the original LE. I am thinking more along the lines of just another option.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Thanks for the info. However, I am not so sure the LE2 is going to replace the original LE. I am thinking more along the lines of just another option.

Tire Rack shows the original LE on "Closeout"...

Unless *they're* just not going to carry it anymore.

I don't see it staying around.

firestone is dumping them too at their service locations. I believe it's being discontinued.

Yeah, I think you may be correct. Last time I looked it appeared both lines would be available but I see now everyone is closing them out as you all said. That stinks. A great tire now going away.
frown.gif

agreed. I have enjoyed my 2 sets. The LE2 meets all expectations so far. I'm pulling a friend's 25' pleasure boat out of the lake saturday--- so we'll see first-hand how they do on a boat ramp... and this is a big boat.

Boat ramp test was excellent. Pulled a 25' cabin cruiser, about 6500 to 7000 lbs with trailer. Walked right up the ramp, no drama. We stopped halfway up as an added test and it did spin for a brief moment but immediately took hold.

While this doesn't indicate much about how they will be in 25000 miles, I am quite pleased with them for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back