Starting my first stash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: afoulk
Maybe the ketchup is his wifes stash
grin.gif

bahahahaha

Though the sad thing is, that Ketchup would probably be better than some oils (Bullseye, CityStar) and some oil additives!

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Anyone know where I can get SN PYB in bulk?

I'd fill my garage.

Sams club here, 12 QT case for 28.99

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

I wonder how long it will take Tallpaul to use all his oil? Perhaps he goes through it quickly, but even with three vehicles I could never use half that oil in a reasonable amount of time.

Much of that stash dates to 2004-2006. I have enough left now to last about 4 years. I would have had a bigger stash yet but ended up selling about 50 quarts. It got to where I was so OCD I would buy oil I didn't need and didn't plan to use just because it was a great deal.

Hey, at one time we had a thread going where everyone posted the total quarts in their stash. Have to dig that one up.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Originally Posted By: stephen9666

I wonder how long it will take Tallpaul to use all his oil? Perhaps he goes through it quickly, but even with three vehicles I could never use half that oil in a reasonable amount of time.

Much of that stash dates to 2004-2006. I have enough left now to last about 4 years. I would have had a bigger stash yet but ended up selling about 50 quarts. It got to where I was so OCD I would buy oil I didn't need and didn't plan to use just because it was a great deal.

My wife's famous words to me have always been,

"there is ALWAYS going to be a deal on oil. You don't need to buy every time there is a sale or clearance!"

And you know, she's right! (but don't let HER know that!)

My stash has some 65-70 quarts right now. Mostly G-Oil and various flavors of Valvoline NextGen. All nearly free after mail-in rebates. I agree with those saying that it's usually not worth stashing oil as there will always be deals. But if you're getting the oil for under $1 a quart, that's a quart worth stashing ;p

The three cars in the household require about 16 quarts for a single oil change. I am guessing that this stash will last me for a couple of years.

Originally Posted By: dubie2003
Way are the pink bottles? Also, what is up with all the ketchup?

That's SLOB! CD-2 Street Legal Oil Boost. A healthy dose of zddp. Big Lots sold off a bunch of this stuff about 5-6 years ago at $1-1.50 a bottle and a bunch of us loaded up.

I have barely bought a single quart of oil since 2007. I've mainly lived off stash oil. Bad thing is I loaded up on anything on sale, regardless of grade. With 3 cars that spec 0 or 5W20, it's hard to get rid of 40 and 50 weight oils! My solution has been to dilute w/ MMO.... If it flashes off, I top off w/ SLOB... I may have to break this rule w/ the new Si. I really want to baby it consider the thrashing I give it...

I've still got at least 5 bottles of VSOT, and 30-40 bottles each of SLOB and the CD-2 75k+ additive as well. Not to mention 14-15 bottles of arx...

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Originally Posted By: dubie2003
Way are the pink bottles? Also, what is up with all the ketchup?

That's SLOB! CD-2 Street Legal Oil Boost. A healthy dose of zddp. Big Lots sold off a bunch of this stuff about 5-6 years ago at $1-1.50 a bottle and a bunch of us loaded up.

I have barely bought a single quart of oil since 2007. I've mainly lived off stash oil. Bad thing is I loaded up on anything on sale, regardless of grade. With 3 cars that spec 0 or 5W20, it's hard to get rid of 40 and 50 weight oils! My solution has been to dilute w/ MMO.... If it flashes off, I top off w/ SLOB... I may have to break this rule w/ the new Si. I really want to baby it consider the thrashing I give it...

I've still got at least 5 bottles of VSOT, and 30-40 bottles each of SLOB and the CD-2 75k+ additive as well. Not to mention 14-15 bottles of arx...

Yeah, SLOB. And the black bottles to the left are CD2 high mileage additive. Those SLOB bottles were brittle and would crack easily. I have repackaged all my slob into quart Maxlife bottles and printed big white labels pasted over the Maxlife label so I won't accidently SLOB my engine to death.

We were on a "no salt added" ketchup kick at the time and those were very reasonably priced so we were stocked up.

Hah! Yeah I've lost one bottle of SLOB due to brittleness. I just bought another set of shelves so that I can reunite and unbox the rest of my stash. I moved last summer and some of the SLOB is boxed in my "wine cellar." I wanted to keep the whole stash there but wifey kinda objected...

I found an old email where I had tallied the BITOG grand total stash count. The email is listed below and notice how far down the list I am.

Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 8:15 AM
Subject: Huge Oil Stashes

After the Bobistheoilguy.com site grand total member stash got up to around 12,000 quarts, I pulled out all who had 100 or more quarts. Check this out. Johnny, the oil king at 690 quarts, is a Pennzoil retiree.

690 Johnny
-----------
535 shortyb
-----------
426 Zaedock
-----------
356 nel
350 Auto Union
331 Acheron 2000
------------
282 linkman
272 BrianWC
256 lip277
239 GreggyD
217 Lurker Ken
209 TallPaul 204 flatland Tacoma
200 Rick A
--------------
190 LT4Vette
189 va3ux
188 ToyotaNSaturn
174 John k
170 derek244
168 PT1
160 wsm41bn
155 r961161
150 MasterACiD
146 Panzerman
145 audi guy
141 gedcruise
140 cfromc
138 Locomotive
121 Ankur Gupta
115 74 Laguna
115 Lonnie
113 Hessam
100 Syntec-Man

I only "buffer" stash. I get all the oils I would like to try and the ones I regularly use, just so I don't run around looking for a sale when my oil is due to be changed.

So, I only have max 4-5 changes worth of oil, and if there is an incredible sale I buy another change worth.

Nothing is worse than having to pay full price for a Group III syn, IMO. Paying 45$ for a jug of Pennzoil Platinum, I wouldn't feel great about that.

Don't know when the list was compiled, but I've got over 150...

Just bought 24 qts of 5w30 PU for $3.96 ea.

Most of the stash was built at $0.96 ea...including 12 qts of QSUD 10W40 I bought last month...

The only reason to build a stash, IMHO, is to avoid paying retail prices...

Otherwise, I would just pick up what I need before doing an oil change.

And yeah, my wife knows...hard to disguise the shelves filled with oil... And the case boxes under the work bench... But when one of the kids happens to mention that the service light is on...and I can take care of it that evening...it makes up for the clutter...a little...

Last edited:
Per the title of the last few posts-2007. Yeah, my wife knows, too. Just not that I'm ever more obsessive than most of the folks on bitog. Well, quantity wise. What's funny is we're a heck of a lot better off than we were in 2007 and I won't go out and buy a nice synth for my new car. Five year old Supertech HM for you!

Originally Posted By: Falken
Nothing is worse than having to pay full price for a Group III syn, IMO. Paying 45$ for a jug of Pennzoil Platinum, I wouldn't feel great about that.

If you don't like hunting for sales, try the Real Canadian Wholesale Club or its equivalent in Montreal. I don't know if you like M1 or not, but they have that for $7 cheaper than WM's regular price. They will occasionally have QSUD in stock, too.

Cool thanks Garak!

I was just passing by Cornwall, Ontario today and saw one of those Clubs there but didn't think to go in.

I love QSUD will have to go back sometime and check it out, fingers crossed for QSUD 0W20...

Yes, I was in Ontario checking out if they stocked different oils in Canadian Tire and Walmart. No luck on 0W20 jugs of any brand. My hope was to find QSUD 0W20 in a 4.73 L jug for 24$ WM but no luck...

Did spot at Walmart a Castrol Syntec 5W20 Dexos... Had bad experiences with GTX in the past and think I'll pass, but the Dexos spec seems like good base stock oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back