2012 Chevy Cruze 1.4 Turbo Cruze

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is best oil. I drive 50 mi per day in central kansas. 90% highway. Changed factory oil at 4000 mi and used ACDELCO Synthetic Blend 5W30. Is Mobil 1 that much better. My concern is will mobil 1 handle the heat of turbo. I am going to keep changineg oil at 4 to 5000 mi.

Related: My brother has a 19hp Briggs engine in a riding lawn mower the had Mobil 1 in it, when motor gets hots started missing , knocking and lots of valve noise. changed oil to Mobil 5000 5W30 and all problems went away. This was 2 years ago. Been running great since.

Originally Posted By: Deerebilt
Is Mobil 1 that much better.

YES!!!! The Delco 5w-30 gets chewed up and spit out by 5000 miles in the 1.4T engine. The UOA's I've done of QSUD 5w-30 and the ones I've seen of M1 5w-30 in the 1.4T show that the oil is good out to 8-9k miles. The wear numbers at 5k miles on the Delco oil correlated to 8-9k miles on M1/QSUD. That's better, IMO.

Pretty much any full synthetic 5w-30 that meets dexos1 specifications will be fine for 5000 miles in an Ecotec 1.4T.

I run QSUD 5w-30 for 8k miles in my Cruze's 1.4T. The UOA's I've done have shown that 8k miles on QSUD is the right length on that oil for my engine and mostly-highway driving.

Last edited:
Does M1 0w-40 meet dexos and related requirements for your application? Highway use is not terribly strenuous, but this is an ideal oil for turbocharged ecotec engines, IMO.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Is Mobil 1 that much better.

YES!!!! The Delco 5w-30 gets chewed up and spit out by 5000 miles in the 1.4T engine. The UOA's I've done of QSUD 5w-30 and the ones I've seen of M1 5w-30 in the 1.4T show that the oil is good out to 8-9k miles. The wear numbers at 5k miles on the Delco oil correlated to 8-9k miles on M1/QSUD. That's better, IMO.

Pretty much any full synthetic 5w-30 that meets dexos1 specifications will be fine for 5000 miles in an Ecotec 1.4T.

I run QSUD 5w-30 for 8k miles in my Cruze's 1.4T. The UOA's I've done have shown that 8k miles on QSUD is the right length on that oil for my engine and mostly-highway driving.

+1

AC delco syn blend is better suited for the CRuze's 1.8.

I really like the way those QSUD UOA's look in the 1.4T, that is likely what I would run if it were my car.

Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum & Ultra in 5w30 meets the Honda/Acura Turbo spec. Those two oils are my choice for turbo engines. I run 5w30 PP in my Mazda CX7 DI Turbo engine and UOAs demonstrate, excellent service using 6K oil changes. Ed

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Does M1 0w-40 meet dexos and related requirements for your application? Highway use is not terribly strenuous, but this is an ideal oil for turbocharged ecotec engines, IMO.

The only Mobil 1 oils to carry a dexos cert are 5W-30, both in regular flavor and EP.

I changed the FF at 1600 miles in my 1.4T Cruze using Mobil 1.
I changed that fill at 6600 (5K) using Mobil 1.
While I'm not sure I'll always use Mobil 1, I am sure I'll use full synthetic because of the turbo. QSUD seems to be the best deal at WM.

I think you can go to 7K w/o problems on a full syn. with your type driving. The OLM would allow you to go even further.

What MPGs are you getting?

Any oil with the Dexos specification will be ok. If you use only the approved motor oil, it's ok to go by the oil life monitor instead of mileage.
What is best oil. I drive 50 mi per day in central kansas. 90% highway. Changed factory oil at 4000 mi and used ACDELCO Synthetic Blend 5W30. Is Mobil 1 that much better. My concern is will mobil 1 handle the heat of turbo. I am going to keep changineg oil at 4 to 5000 mi.

Related: My brother has a 19hp Briggs engine in a riding lawn mower the had Mobil 1 in it, when motor gets hots started missing , knocking and lots of valve noise. changed oil to Mobil 5000 5W30 and all problems went away. This was 2 years ago. Been running great since.

Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
Any oil with the Dexos specification will be ok. If you use only the approved motor oil, it's ok to go by the oil life monitor instead of mileage. ]

I respectfully quibble. This is too broad a brush to paint with. Any oil includes the synthetic blend dexos1 oils that have shown to be a poor match for the 1.4 turbo engine in the Cruze.

Any full synthetic dexos1 oil is okay to go to roughly 20% on the OLM before changing. I've verified this personally by changing dexos1-spec QSUD at 30% on the OLM and 10% on the OLM, and have the UOA's posted (too lazy to search right now). 10% showed the oil was just barely shearing out of grade, while 30% indicated I could have gone a little longer. Using Goldilocks logic, the "middle" of 20% on the OLM should be "just right".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back