Sig 556 rifle wear ay 1500 rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I'd do a review of my Sig 556 after its had a few rounds thru it. So far I've run about 1500 rounds thru this rifle: mostly PMC but some Hornandy, Federal, and Tula. So far I've had 1 malfunction, a failure to fire. Of course, this occurred during a rifle match, while the timer was running. I didn't recover the round so I don't know if it was defective or if it got a light hit.

Rifle has been lubed consistently with Aeroshell Fluid 18.

The assembled rifle. Pretty much stock Sig 556 Classic.
IMG_1070.JPG

Flash hider wear. Flash hider is from PWS and has been installed since I got the rifle.
IMG_1072.JPG

Receiver wear from the cartridges impacting the side of the receiver. They all so that and they all dent cases too.
IMG_1073.JPG

Field stripped. Little more complex than the parent AK design.
IMG_1076.JPG

Gas piston head.
IMG_1078.JPG

IMG_1090.JPG

Gas regulator. No signs of erosion.
IMG_1080.JPG

Bolt striped. The extractor is not normally removed except to replace it.
IMG_1081.JPG

Bolt face wear.
IMG_1087.JPG

Trunnion showing cam wear on the initial rotating cam.
IMG_1092.JPG

Trunnion showing where the bolt carrier impacts on the right side.
IMG_1094.JPG

Receiver rail wear.
IMG_1097.JPG

Ejector.
IMG_1100.JPG

IMG_1101.JPG

Bolt carrier.
IMG_1102.JPG

IMG_1103.JPG

Receiver buffer plate.
IMG_1106.JPG

FCG.
IMG_1107.JPG

To summarize, I'd classify all the wear on this rifle as being parts polishing themselves in. I haven't seen any signs of peening or other destructive wear. The parkerizing has worn off in places and the paint has too, but there just isn't any metal being removed in significant amounts.

BSW

That will clean right up.
grin2.gif

Seriously at 1500 rounds, should just be broken in. Does really look like a mind meld of my AK with my AR and Sig stepped in.
shocked2.gif
banana2.gif

Looks like fun!

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Strange question, but what camera did youb use for the pictures, great quality.

BTW nice gun.

Canon S100.

To get better depth of field I usually take pics with the longest focal length the camera allows, even if I need to be across the room. I then crop the pic down, since I have pixels to burn.

I'm using Picasa for editing contrast, color, and sharpness.

BSW

Those are just cool looking rifles. Sig has always made a great product....well except maybe the Mosquito in my opinion. If I get another 223 military type semi auto this is on my list.

Although the allure of a 308 Battle Rifle always seems to get me. LOL

I've always wanted a FN FAL but...

1) I don't get ammo for free.
2) For the shooting I do 5.56 works perfectly fine.
3) 5.56 rifles are just lighter and handier than 7.62 NATO rifles.

BSW

Looks way overly complicated. Even more than a FAL.

I know a guy that bought one of these and now he wishes that he bought an AR.

Originally Posted By: Tempest

How is an FAL complicated? I mean you must think an SKS is complicated too then. LOL

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

How is an FAL complicated? I mean you must think an SKS is complicated too then. LOL

True enough. Bad example.
45.gif

It's them darn fancy self loading weapons! They're all complicated.

Now, if you want simple, give me a .58 caliber Minié ball firing rifled musket! Knock down power? [censored] yeah, it'll knock you down and anyone you hit with it is going down too! None of that fancy 'cartridge' [censored] to worry about either! Did you know that a brass cartridge has four parts? And two different types of chemical? That's six things to go wrong!

Back to reality:

The Sig has to have a removable charging handle as the rear of the upper receiver is solid. That lets me mount a optic easily and gives a good spot for the rear sight, but increases the part count. The standard 'book' field strip includes removing the firing pin, which also increases the part count but usually isn't necessary.

Everything designed and made by men is a compromise. Firearms, because of what they do and the constraints we impose on them, are distilled compromise.

BSW

Originally Posted By: Tempest

the 500 design is a AK with a swiss touch ! which comes from the fn-cal design ..great weapon every one i shot less than 1'' moa at 100 yds ......

Originally Posted By: AMC
Looks great for 1500 rds! Whatever cleaning/oiling procedure you are using appears to be working very well. Nice rifle!

Typically, I clean the rifle after shooting it then apply a light coat of Aeroshell 18 to the moving/wearing parts. Since the oil in AS 18 evaporates in about a month, if the rifle appears dry before the next time I shoot it, I oil it again before shooting.

Since the gas system is nitrided stainless, I leave it dry with the exception of the recoil spring, which is lightly oiled to keep it from rusting.

BSW

I love that series of rifles.

I have one just like that but I put all green Swiss furniture on it with Aurora iron sights. I have at least 10k rounds down range with it and its still fantastic.

I'm cheap so I feed it whatever steel cased [censored] I can buy on sale, never complains though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back