Comparing Grease Characteristics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious on this one?

If I am reading this right, you folks are saying Lithium greases are not the best for water washout?

I have been using this Amsoil product, which is a lithium product for years and have had great luck with it, are you saying it is the worse type of grease to use in my application(snowmobile idler wheel bearings)or am I reading it's ingredients and this post/info all wrong?
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/gwr.aspx

I really feel as though the calcium and aluminum bases perform better with water in real life applications....that said let us keep in mind that generally these are blended with more care and by private blenders. Lithiums are by far the most produced. The big boys produce it very fast and very cheaply and thus there is a lot of [censored] lith base greases. The Amsoils and the high end greases produced by the big boys is a different story in quality than the "every day" lith bases.
49.gif

Not saying worse irv but there's different severity "levels" of water wash out.

Lithium would never work in my work world

Originally Posted By: daman

daman, in the sled thread, you stated you were considering using this Amsoil grease for your sled, is that still the case or are you considering something a little more stout/different now?
Personally, I can't see a snowmobile idler wheel bearing being classified as anything less that severe?
Those little suckers must spin at a crazy rpm most times and are exposed to water, snow, dirt, sand and varying temps constantly.

Originally Posted By: irv

daman, in the sled thread, you stated you were considering using this Amsoil grease for your sled, is that still the case or are you considering something a little more stout/different now?
Personally, I can't see a snowmobile idler wheel bearing being classified as anything less that severe?
Those little suckers must spin at a crazy rpm most times and are exposed to water, snow, dirt, sand and varying temps constantly.

Compaired to a say an exavator bucket,payloader bucket that see's water/manure dipping,silt,salts,acids day in and day out a idler wheel is minuet.

i would try the Amsoil in a snowmobile application as it's much less severe application for water,plus i would be just a tad bit concerned with the thickener and bearing slide in a AC grease in cold winter temps.

stick with what your using irv good choice.

Originally Posted By: irv

Compaired to a say an exavator bucket,payloader bucket that see's water/manure dipping,silt,salts,acids day in and day out a idler wheel is minuet.

i would try the Amsoil in a snowmobile application as it's much less severe application for water,plus i would be just a tad bit concerned with the thickener and bearing slide in a AC grease in cold winter temps.

stick with what your using irv good choice.

Understood.
Thanks
thumbsup2.gif

I don't envy those of you who are operating heavy machinery. I too have examined using alum. complex and I've come away feeling a sense of noncommittal attitude. I just drive a street vehicle and it's covered when not in use. I think the water washout is somewhat overhyped. I'd be glad to be shown differently. LC is widely available and I've had pretty good success with LC w/ moly (currently using 3%). I'd switch if the benefit was greater.

Mike,

Have you considered using a calcium sulfonate complex grease versus the LC with moly. Moly is a bit corrosive. I've seen calcium sulfonate greases with EP levels that moly has and with water washouts of less than 3%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back