What is the handgun equivalent of F-150

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was in the market for a vehicle, I chose the F-150 because it is high quality built, known to be durable and due to its popularity had easily available parts and accessories that is inexpensive.

Now I am in the market for a conceal carry gun, what would be a F-150 equivalent?

Just one caveat, no plastic guns please.

The comparison does not make sense.
The gun you should carry, is the one you can conceal, comfortable to carry regularly, functions reliably, and in a caliber that you shoot well and practice with.

Last edited:
I saw the title and was trying to think of a gun the pops spark plugs, ticks, and has failing cam phasers!

But all that aside I think spasm3 hit the nail on the head: ability to conceal, light weight and comfortable, reliable, and one that you can handle easily and shoot well with.

I shoot well with .22LR and are very tempted to get a Beretta 87 as a carry. However , I understand parts are going to be expensive, and .22LR is not the most practical round in self defense.

So I look for a opinion based on a recent happy purchase.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
The comparison does not make sense.
The gun you should carry, is the one you can conceal, comfortable to carry regularly, functions reliably, and in a caliber that you shoot well and practice with.

For a no plastic guy I would recommend a 1911, a Bersa Thunder or PPK, or a revolver of your choice.

I like my Kel Tec P11, there are times I have to reach back and pat it with my hand to make sure it is still there. My S&W stays home it is heavier and pokes me in the side when sitting.

There seems to be alot of good reviews on the m&p shield that just came out a few months, but since you said no plastic, then maybe a revolver or something like colt mustang. If you are willing to conceal a bigger sized gun then maybe a sig p229, or some of the compact 1911s.

Is your F150 an automatic? Most since 2004 are.

F150s though have become bigger and more cumbersome. I would go for the Ford Ranger handgun.

How often do you shoot at the range? Are you careful about cleaning guns after use? Are you familiar with semi autos at all?
If you are not really a gun guy but want to carry for self defense, then I would suggest a five shot snubby revolver in .38 caliber. You can get good self defense ammo for these, they are small and easy to conceal. I own a hammerless (internal hammer) Taurus revolver as a carry gun. I have run many, many hundreds of rounds through it, both .38 and .357 (mine is indeed a .357) and it is a very good revolver. S&W also makes these "hammerless" revolvers. The lack of an external hammer makes them less likely to snag on your clothes when you draw.

If you can't handle a defense situation with 5 rounds, you are in the wrong place.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Sometimes the wrong place comes to you.
Like in a certain movie theatre

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
glock or 1911 Id guess.

I agree with 1911. Just like the F-150 is sort of a default pickup, the 1911 is a default pistol. Lots of aftermarket support and lots of repros. Just like an F-150, you can get a bare bones one or a fancy one.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
glock or 1911 Id guess.

I agree with 1911. Just like the F-150 is sort of a default pickup, the 1911 is a default pistol. Lots of aftermarket support and lots of repros. Just like an F-150, you can get a bare bones one or a fancy one.

And like he F150, the glock has a lot of hard plastic, doesnt look that great yet is handsome and simple, and gets the job done in a tough, no nonsense manner for a long time...

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
I saw the title and was trying to think of a gun the pops spark plugs, ticks, and has failing cam phasers!

But all that aside I think spasm3 hit the nail on the head: ability to conceal, light weight and comfortable, reliable, and one that you can handle easily and shoot well with.

Zinger! That there's funny I don't care who you are!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back