Boston City Metered Parking only for residents???

Status
Not open for further replies.
We parked the van at the meter on Berkeley street (right over the mass pike bridge) at about 8:00pm. We got $40 ticket stating the violation was we parked in the residents only spot. The meter had no indication that resident sticker was required to feed the meter. It did say that meter was active during weekdays between 8am-6pm. Nothing was mentioned about what happens after that time. We actually skipped lots of side streets because those streets themselves were marked with resident parking only. The Berkeley street is a major one way street. We can only hope that there are no permanent residents making the bridge as their home :)

Is this a racket by Boston to fleece visitors? There really was no way for us to know that a metered spot can not be used by occasional visitors. Are there any cities in the world where they put parking meters but give you tickets if you actually park there??

After coming home, I googled this. I found that resident parking stickers are given to residents AT NO CHARGE. The meters don't need money after hours. All of those meters have two hour maximum and re-feeding meters is NOT allowed. I do not understand how this scheme is supposed to work. Is resident supposed to come out of his house every two hours and find another meter and feed the money during the day time hours when the meter is in operation? Or the metered spaces becomes reserved for residents after hours and are not allowed to be used by non-residents? And if that is the case, should that be clearly marked on the meter itself? We had parked their just before 8:00pm and moved out at 9:00pm. The ticket was written at 8:17pm

I know in other cities/counties (e.g. Fairfax/Arlington VA DC area) residents need to PURCHASE the parking stickers to park on the street but there are no meters on those streets.

cities make millions on parking fees and fines, and it'll never go away because it feeds itself; all the employees required to administer the system.
I liked watching parking wars' philadelphia segments because it reminded me why I don't like going into the city anymore. what with trying to figure out parking garages, who can validate the ticket, where you pay, discounts for this much time, etc.
for some reason, they don't have philly on parking wars anymore (revealing the corruption of the city perhaps?)

I work downtown, the meters themselves do not have directions. Would cost a fortune to individualize 7k+ meters. Streets have signs indicating parking type at the beginning and end of the parking zones. There are 6 parking garages with the capacity for 3k cars within walking distance of Berkeley Street. Why most of the street is reserved for residents. You will lose time and money disputing the ticket. Your location is vague, if you live in one of the New England states, dont think about not paying. The states work together, will cause you grief down the road.

Visitors - One of the original cities in the USA, Boston was not planned. Its cattle paths and one-ways. With only 7k meters, parking on the street is complicated and confusing. If you don't know the city spend the extra $20 and use the garages or..the easier and cheaper option is park at subway stations just outside the city. The subway lines will take you anywhere you want to go.

These were brand new meters. They could have easily marked the meters with red letters saying "For residents only". I suspect this is done with full intention of trapping tourists. I mean which other city puts parking meters but then does not allow you to park there?

They use signs. Most large cities do. If there is a meter, it means parking is not free for residents there. They have a resident sticker on the window that indicates payment method. Not all residents have the ability to pay online, monthly, etc. so they still have meters. Next time I'm down there will have a closer look.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I work downtown, the meters themselves do not have directions. Would cost a fortune to individualize 7k+ meters. Streets have signs indicating parking type at the beginning and end of the parking zones. There are 6 parking garages with the capacity for 3k cars within walking distance of Berkeley Street. Why most of the street is reserved for residents. You will lose time and money disputing the ticket. Your location is vague, if you live in one of the New England states, dont think about not paying. The states work together, will cause you grief down the road.

Visitors - One of the original cities in the USA, Boston was not planned. Its cattle paths and one-ways. With only 7k meters, parking on the street is complicated and confusing. If you don't know the city spend the extra $20 and use the garages or..the easier and cheaper option is park at subway stations just outside the city. The subway lines will take you anywhere you want to go.

+1 take the MBTA (Mass Bay Transit Authority) or the "T" when you visit Boston.

In regards to meter/resident spots it is meter during the day for everybody and after a certain hour (typically 6) it turns into a resident spot (where they don't have to feed the meter.) The only deal with this is residents need to leave the spot at a certain time in the morning as it becomes meter again.

Many years ago I was ticketed for parking right in front of the Boston Parking Authority offices, but there were no signs indicating you couldn't do so. I took lots of photos of my car with the ticket on it, the surrounding area, etc. and fought the ticket. The judge dropped it, but I probably caught him on a good day.

Straight from the City Office Web Page:- (please note this specific page does not specifically say anything about the metered parking. The web site does have a different section about metered parking and whether it takes quarter or credit card etc but that section mentions nothing about resident permit)

========================================
Resident Parking Permit

Boston's Resident Permit Parking Program is an initiative designed to give residents a better chance of finding an on-street parking space in their neighborhood. Many of the parking spaces on Boston's residential streets are regulated as "Resident Parking Only."

A smaller number of parking spaces on these same streets are posted as "Visitor Parking" areas for the guests of neighborhoods residents. Residents who live in areas where parking is regulated for residents-only must apply for a Resident Parking Permit to avoid receiving parking tickets.

Resident parking permits are provided at NO CHARGE for qualified residents.

Be glad this didn't happen in winter. Residents get testy when "their" space that they cleared of snow gets another car parked on it.

Despite the fact that, you know, they cheaped out on their apartment and didn't get assigned, off street parking.

Yeah having license plates guarantees you the right to use the street, you just have to share it.

Nah, They ticket everybody, not just tourists. When I worked the financial district, the jewelry district, and the hospitals; if you found a legit space with a meter, its just a 25 $ hit. Company paid the ticket. Nasty - grams would follow if you parked in expensive spots. Don't ever get caught with an expired sticker or registration. Those are moving violations on you.

I actually find meters with small charge better than not. Otherwise vehicles get left and parking spaces are hard to find.

i have been driving in my city, Wichita,ks from 1965. and complain about this city, and the streets. but i keep forgetting that people in some other citys have it much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back