Harbor Freight Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have one of these? Had a hugh storm a few weeks back and the power was out for almost 5 full days in our neighborhood. Every place was sold out of generators but I lucked out and was able to borrow one from a friend who had power. It was the Predator 5500/6500 max from Harbor Freight. 420cc 13HP, Started with one pull, ran it for about 4 days. Ran pretty much anything we could plug in- fridge/freezer, hot water, soft water,cable TV, internet/computer, microwave, lamps, hair dryer. No A/C but had no way to hook it up. The thing ran well and ran strong, easy on gas too IMO. Looking for advice on whether or not this is a generator with a good rep or not. It's currently $500 and goes for $400 on sale. Who makes the engine?

Who makes the engine? Chonda manufacturer of the week. Those are decent for the price certainly, but if I were to buy one for reliability, it would either have a Generac, Briggs, or Honda engine on it. Or Subaru.

My HF generator with over 1000 hours still runs like a top and does not burn oil. It was made by Jenn Feng which is the same people who own McCulloch. Mine is model 3708. Any Honda GX390 engine part bolts right up to it.

I've got the 2011 model before it was Predator and it is blue. The engine is made by Lifan who from what I gather has a good reputation for scooters and small engines. They do have a website at www.lifanpowerusa.com.

We've got probably 20 or so hours on ours and it's great. Starts with the click of the key and will reasonably run what you throw at it. During October's Snowpocolypse it ran our fridge, freezer, and a space heater to keep us ice and toasty overnight. Before that it ran our sump pumps to keep the basement dry.

I would definitely recommend it if you need a generator. Also I hear the Champion units are quite good.

Originally Posted By: Sonic
... Looking for advice on whether or not this is a generator with a good rep or not. It's currently $500 and goes for $400 on sale. Who makes the engine?

I like them, but they're hit/miss in regards to reliability. They will require extra attention to keep them reliable. Bolts will loosen and stuff will fall off if you don't go over ever screw, nut and bolt. Plastic and rubber components tend to be brittle.

Like said, Lifan had been a common engine manufacturer for HFT gens. I'm not sure who they use now. They're all decent IMO. I've got a ~5yr/old eBay purchased 5000watt gen with a Chong Qing engine on it. It purrs like a kitten.

I would never spend more than maybe $400 max on one though. If you're going to invest big bucks, I'd go with a genuine Honda.

Joel

Last edited:
Look for an old used one that is fully working. Pay more for it and have it a lifetime.

I have a 1970s kohler that is mint, and is very durable. I paid $250 for it used. It still had all its cross hatching on the cylinder wall. So it had very low hrs.

Its pretty hard to make a junk engine, but it is very easy to make a junk generator section. Example would be, a poorly insulated rotor, low quilaty coppy wire, low quality insulation that breaks down quickly, etc. It will fail while the engine keeps on running strong.

Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69

Its pretty hard to make a junk engine, but it is very easy to make a junk generator section. Example would be, a poorly insulated rotor, low quilaty coppy wire, low quality insulation that breaks down quickly, etc. It will fail while the engine keeps on running strong.

You're right on the money. The old ones are built like tanks, but man does an old ~8-13hp flat-head go through some gas.

Problem is, even the higher dollar name branded use lots of Chinese components in the generator ends.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69

You're right on the money. The old ones are built like tanks, but man does an old ~8-13hp flat-head go through some gas.

Problem is, even the higher dollar name branded use lots of Chinese components in the generator ends.

Joel

The key is not to have the govenor loaded up. If you have a 2.5KW gen running at 1850 watts, you will really burn the fuel. If you have a 5KW at 1850 watts it will use less fuel. Less engine load overall.

That's a good point. It's better to have slightly larger than you need and run it at ~50%.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back