STP High Mileage Oil Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
STP High Mileage Oil Treatment

Does it "treat" oil with high miles or cars?
smile.gif
wink.gif
cheers3.gif

Saw this at Wally World today and it is a new offering from STP in a gray bottle...

MSDS

LOL. Be interesting to see if they put any signficant amount of ZDDP back in it. Last batch of the blue bottle circa 2010 I did a VOA on had just about SL motor oil level. Wouldn't be enough to raise it but a few point once mixed into the motor oil.

I have to say I miss Valvoline's MaxLife additive I could buy at Ollie's or Big Lots! cheap, complete with bilingual French.
smile.gif

*Since it's gone, I might be trying this for a leaker 96' Camry I picked up...

Last edited:
Looks like the usual thickener stuff that can be found in many different cans and bottles around the world. Thick like gear oil... marketed as a "Viscosity Improver"...

I am amazed that STP Oil Treatment is still around. Most cars and trucks today require thinner oil and STP is thick stuff that probably is of little use except in a car or truck that is an oil burner.

If I was going to use an oil supplement I would use something like Lubegard Engine Oil Supplement. Or LubroMoly.

For cleaning an engine something like MMO or Kreen. And actually if you have a seal leak try Auto-RX.

But if you really want a better oil probably better to just use something like Mobil 1 or Pennzoil synthetic rather than a conventional motor oil. And forget about the supplements except for fuel system cleaner and maybe fuel stablizer if you are going to store a vehicle for a while.

Ya know I just got some of those $7 wix analysis kits.... maybe I need to do a voa. cuz I'm pretty curious if it is any better than the blue bottle. or is it just blue bottle with a seal conditioner?

welp I decided to do my first VOA. STP High Mileage Oil Treatment. I'll put it in the mail this afternoon.

Define "high mileage". The Mercury Marauder my ex-wife took has 160,xxx and burns maybe a quart in 5,000 miles and the inside of the engine is spotless. Why does it need an additive?

I'm curious......as far as additives go....really, honestly, what would be the "difference" between say, using Lucas Oil Thickener per label directions (20% of oil capacity....or sub. 1 qt of oil). Vs......STP's Oil Thickener....

If I recall, neither of them are very "beefy" as far as additive structure.....both are simply "thick" lol. Only, they use smaller dosings.....I think STP is a half-quart (pint) or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back