I'm new and have a ticking lifter question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

As the subject line indicates I am new and I have a ticking lifter question.

I have a '01 Saturn SL1, 5 speed, 1.9L SOHC with 135000 miles on it. Ever since I had roughly 115000 miles on my car I've had lifter tick at start up. I've been browsing BITOG for quite some time on and off looking for a decent oil or additive that might shut this tick up but to no avail. The things I have tried are.

-Lucas HD oil stabilizer
-Lucas Synthetic oil stabilizer
-MMO
-Gunk Engine Flush
-Motorkote
-STP Oil treatment

-I ran Castrol GTX religiously since I bought the car with 30000 miles however once I hit about 100000 miles I started experimenting with different oils
-Mobil 1 5w-30
-Mobil 1 10w-30
-Mobil 1 0w-30
-Castrol Syntec 0w-30
-Valvoline Maxlife Nextgen 5w-30
-RLI 0w-30
-Royal Purple 5w-30

I know the easy answer is to just replace the lifter but since it's only ticking at start up I'm having more fun experimenting with different oils to see if there is one out there that can restore this lifters ability to hold pressure.

Any assistance would be very welcome

Thanks,
Bill

Some of the top group -Lucas HD oil stabilizer -Lucas Synthetic oil stabilizer -STP Oil treatment would contribute to the tick by thickening the oil to the point there would be a lack of oil flow, especially at startup. The bottom group would clean that up some. Kreen has worked well for me stopping ticks, but I'm wondering if yours may require a mechanical fix. If Kreen can't quiet it down, head to a mechanic. Its a commercial internal engine cleaner, can only be purchased online.

Forgot this one - Rotella T6 5w40 full syn HDEO. Used that in a noisy, ticking oil burning Corolla. Quiet as a mouse on that oil, cut the consumption by 1/2. On the shelves at Walmart.

You could try Mobil 1 High Mileage. I would give Rislone Engine Treatment a try before any of the other additives...

Last edited:
Try another filter.
My SL1 had a tick at startup too (very brief) and I never let it bother me, I knew there was oil in the sump and it ran great.

For a BITOG'er though, that can be hard to just swallow
48.gif

The only thing I'm concerned about with deviating from a 5w-30 or 0w-30 is I heard these engines don't like anything besides those weights. What adverse effects can I expect from running a 5w-20 or a 5w-40? Also I don't know if this matters but I do 90% of my driving in short distances usually 6 miles.

Also I never used treatments until the tick started.

Would the 5w-20 thin out too quick and cause more problems than the one I have? Same with the 5w-40, would that be too thick and hurt more than help? Or should I run a 5w-20 for just maybe a 1000 miles or so to see if the thinner oil would clean things out. Also are there are any brand recommendations that maybe have a little better detergent package than others?

Me a Pure One filter might work, and I always believe if it worked before, so go back to what was working the week before the ticking started. GTX in 5-20 might be worth the try. What is the worse that can happen??

From what I've read, that era Saturn engine is not a candidate for thin oil. Will consume like crazy. Regarding the T6 I mentioned. Yeah its thicker, but being a synthetic it still flows well. Being a 5w40 it will be a thicker version of a 5w30 based on your described driving conditions. The "40" would be experienced on hot days, highway commutes, etc. Didn't bother a 1.8L Toyota engine, yours should have no problems. It ran the best of all oils I tried on that engine.

Being a M1 user, I have formed the opinion that if you have a ticker, M1 magnifies it. No fact to that, just what I hear swapping oils. I agree with the option of M1 HM, I'm currently using it. Different brew than regular M1, slightly thicker, expanded add package.

I have one on my 91 BMW. Only can be heard in the cold. Have tried oils, adds, etc. Nothing helps. Replacement when it isnt so hot is my approach...

I'd try whatever filter and oil combo you were using before the tick. Or fast track things, using the filter you had the best luck with and, try a 5W40 oil with 20% MMO, or a pint of Kreen. Keep an eye on the oil level, and run the MMO or Kreen oil combo for a 3000 mile OCI. If that doesn't work consider living with the tick or checking and replacing if needed, the lifters and the cam.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Forgot this one - Rotella T6 5w40 full syn HDEO. Used that in a noisy, ticking oil burning Corolla. Quiet as a mouse on that oil, cut the consumption by 1/2. On the shelves at Walmart.

No question high milage Toyotas seem to "like" the stuff. Worth a try anyway. One way or another it's good oil.

I'll definitely look into the t6 diesel oil option. I'm looking at changing my oil this friday anyway, I have the lucas synthetic oil stabilizer in there right now and I'm not liking it. I'll probably leave my current bosch filter on there since I just changed this oil about a month ago. I'll report back on my findings.

The T6 being a HDEO is loaded with cleaners, will rid the engine of the artery clogging Lucas. t6 is $21 a gallon, Purolator Classic filter is $3.97 at Walmart. $25 experiment, why not.

do some searching on saturnfans and saturn spot. there are saturns that have a very noticeable tick sometimes when cold but it isnt lifters. i dont think anyone knows what it is. my 98 does it but so far the 95 doesnt. but the 95 has a noisy injector that sounds like a lifter. i wouldnt even be concerned with it, youll likely never fix it. but it doesnt need fixing its probably just the nature of the beast.

also yes use a purolator filter or wix. and dont use 5w20 . 5w30 is as thin as you should go and i run 10w30 in mine in the summer. theres plenty of people who run 15w40 and have good oil reports and results. but do not use a 20 weight oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back