Snapper Commercial mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at a Snapper Commercial "Ninja Mulcher" push/self propelled mower the other day and I was wondering if anyone has one they could comment on I was thinking about getting it. It's model (CRP2185)

I have had one for three years.....a Snapper Ninja Mulcher. It is not, I think, a commercial grade but has a large B&S engine. I am extremely happy with it. It cuts and mulches well, even when the grass is wet. I mow about2/3 of an acre with it right now and have had no problems. I change the oil in the middle and at the end of the mowing season using Rotella straight 30 wt.

Make sure you carfully consider the ninja (mulching) deck vs the hi vac (bagging) deck. Each does it's specialty really well but the opposite not so much.

I have the ninja blade on a standard deck rider and it does a good job.

You will be very happy with that mower.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Boomer
I have had one for three years.....a Snapper Ninja Mulcher. It is not, I think, a commercial grade but has a large B&S engine. I am extremely happy with it. It cuts and mulches well, even when the grass is wet. I mow about2/3 of an acre with it right now and have had no problems. I change the oil in the middle and at the end of the mowing season using Rotella straight 30 wt.

Decent mower, enjoy!

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Make sure you carfully consider the ninja (mulching) deck vs the hi vac (bagging) deck. Each does it's specialty really well but the opposite not so much.

I was given a snapper ninja with the rear bagger and I found it almost useless in my grass, it clogged all the time at either the bag outlet or just loaded up under the deck when used in mulcher mode... If you've got shaded fine grass or a variety of grasses/"weeds" you'll want something else. It worked very well on a perfect dry lawn but totally failed in my mowing/brush hogging use.
I use an early 90's side discharge lawnboy now, that cuts much much better, it takes cutting 8"+ grass in the rain to slow it down due to clogging...

Originally Posted By: bepperb

bepperb hit the nail right on the head with that comment. The ninja mulching deck does a decent job - but there are better mulching mowers around (Toro Super Recyclers). However the hi vac Snapper mowers are #1 at bagging leaves - if that is want you are looking for.

The hi vac is almost like an outdoor vacuum cleaner. If you really want the best of the best, look around Craigslist for a used Snapper hi vac with the Wisconsin Robin engine. They were found in both 2 cycle and 4 cycle versions. I had the 2 cycle version. They both are heavy mowers, however they are unbreakable. You could pass them down to both your kids and their grandkids. Robin engines trump Briggs engines hands down. Hi Vac Snapper mowers can suck up a quarter off the ground (and almost give you change back).

I've had my Kawasaki powered Snapper commercial mower for about 13-15 years now. It's been very good, and it's been 100% repairable. Some of the bearings, belts and the rubber roller needed replacement. While not cheap, they were available locally, and they kept my old mower operating perfectly.

I'm getting to the point where the deck is starting to rust and I'll need to sandblast and re-paint it. It's worth the effort.

Mine has the castering front wheels. I'm not crazy about them. The mower did a better job with the conventional front wheels. The castering ones have a number of "holes" to set height. Problem is that one row of holes is too close to the centerline. And If I choose this row, the wheels don't caster. Ugh. (not a major problem, but it is something to be aware of)

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
I was looking at a Snapper Commercial "Ninja Mulcher" push/self propelled mower the other day and I was wondering if anyone has one they could comment on I was thinking about getting it. It's model (CRP2185)

I've got that mower. It's on it's second season of use. It's got a Briggs 850 professional series engine w/ spin-on oil filter, an actual throttle control, heavy steel wheels with bearings and extra bracing around the push handle. The drive system is awesome.

I'd prefer it had an aluminum deck like they used to, but you can't get'em on a Snapper anymore. I could have mail-ordered the same mower with the Kawasaki engine, but it was a bit more money and I over-spent as is. This is how it looked right out of the box.

016-1.jpg

013.jpg

015-1.jpg

Joel

I've used nothing but Snapper mowers since '85, don't mention anything else, I ain't interested... Currently have three Hi Vac that are all in good or better condition(this after using one for the last 4-5 years that ran fair at best and long worn out by about anyone's standards)...

My flagship is a overhauled '83 that now has a 5.5Hp '04 Honda powerplant, will whip through 6" grass like it was hot butter...

Originally Posted By: Best F100
.... The ninja mulching deck does a decent job - but there are better mulching mowers around (Toro Super Recyclers).

"Ninja" is not the deck, it's the blade. I believe my Snapper Ninja Commercial has just a standard deck, with a plug instead of the discharge chute and then the fancy Ninja blade. I do agree with you though. The specific mower in question does mulch very well, but something like a aluminum decked Toro Super Recycler is totally designed from the ground up to be a superior mulcher.

The drive system and hardware between the two are night and day though. The best thing about the Toro Supers is the fact the deck is aluminum and it mulches well.

Instead of growling loudly, bogging and stalling like a Toro Super Recycler will when trying to mulch too much, the Snapper won't skip a beat, but will blow debris out from around the deck and leave nice mushy clumps.

The Snapper is nice if want to spend that kind of coin on a new 21" mower. In hindsight, I should have saved a few hundred and got a Toro Super.

Joel

I have the same Snapper as JTK but with the Kawasaki engine which uses full size Purolator Oil Filters, mounted lengthwise against the body, instead of the Briggs setup where the filter projects out from the body.

As to the blade, mine has both the Ninja which is a 4 blade surface split blade vs the Bagger and Side discharge Snapper blade, the latter being optimal for bagging during the fall and the former being optimal for mulching.

Engine starts always on 1st pull, no choke needed and I change the oil every 2nd month with 5W30 Castrol conventional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back