GM 5.3 V8 normal oil use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tpitcher
My 2003 GMC Sierra 5.3 w/185,000 miles still burns no oil in 7,500 mile OCI. The level is still at the same place I filled it to -- and that's mostly towing a 3,000 Lb. Boat!!
shocked.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I had a 99, 01, and 04 Silverado with the non-AFM 5.3. None of them consumed any oil. My 11 isn't using big time, one notch on the dipstick in 5K (which is basically nothing), but with the stories of 5.3 AFM's out there, it does make me wonder what the future holds. I only have 17K on the clock.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the years of the 5.3L that are not using? I am looking at trucks for a future purchase and I want to know which to ...not look at. My suburban uses oil a bit, but not that much. Ouch

What does non AFM mean?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Does anyone know the years of the 5.3L that are not using? I am looking at trucks for a future purchase and I want to know which to ...not look at. My suburban uses oil a bit, but not that much. Ouch

What does non AFM mean?

I have seen complaints on 5.3's from 07-11. That does not mean 12's are not consuming oil it just means not enough miles have been put on them.

i believe none of the 4.8L's have afm. meaning that the afm oil burning problem (in some) would not be present.

I would touch a Silverado with AFM, even if one was given to me. (okay, if I could trade engines I would...) The problems with those are endless, and they DO get worse as they age. The horror stories I hear from the techs are so bad at times they are almost funny. At least we here on bitog catch these things early. Imagine those who don't. Even heard a few stories of them dropping into 4cyl mode while towing! While GM did get some fixes in there, I'm still learly. This coming from a GM guy..

Unless I really needed the 5.3, I'd stick with the 4.8....

There is a guy that had a 2011 had his lifters replaced twice on his 5.3 Silverado, he is so brand loyal he said "if this happens again I am buying a Silverado with a 6.2", of course it happened and he bought a Silverado with a 6.2. To each is his own.

If it was mine, I would run it from 3,000rpm to red line back and forth for 20 minutes. Maybe this could free stuck rings. I have "YET" to have ANY of my rigs have consumption issues. My secrete....SHHHHH, don't tell anyone lol is get them to operating temp, then hold them on the floor repeatedly every day that I drive them. My Zx2 goesto 7,000rpm on a daily basis with the SCT, my 6.0 PSD goes to 4,500rpm with the Spartan tuner....

I do not even have to do that everyday. 2-3 times a month drive do this for me, I have been able to keep my cars from consuming oil. The best part is do to the mountainous grades is that I do not even have to speed to let the engine properly "stretch".

Dave, you must be an old guy, the grumpy one in the slow lane going 40mph in a 70mph zone while you waive your fist at me as I downshift and shoot around the rolling road block...
I'm kidding,
crackmeup2.gif

So my GM oil guzzling friend, hammer down and see what that does

If you grandpa it, it could have issues...Drive it like you stole it...seriously

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: caravanmike
i believe none of the 4.8L's have afm. meaning that the afm oil burning problem (in some) would not be present.

Unless something has changed, AFM was on all gas GM gas V8s in the Silverado. I was looking into a 2011 and it was on every single V8 engine in the 1500 and 2500 - 4.8l, 5.3l, 6.0l & the 6.2l. I was hoping to get away from it by going to a 2500 Suburban, but it was on that one as well. It is the main reason I did not by a GM truck/suv at the time.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
The 4.8 does not that is why if you look at the EPA statements a GM Truck with the 4.8 gets lower mileage numbers than the 5.3.

Wow - I must be getting old again. I hate it when that happens! I was primarily looking at the Suburban, Yukons, and Tahoes at the time. I was really bummed at the time because I wanted the Suburban 2500, but everything had AFM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back