2007 Toyota Camry LE 4 cyl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: The Critic
90k is already a significant amount of miles, so you are likely seeing the signs of normal wear. There probably is not much you can do aside from trying a thicker oil.

At 90k? I would only expect oil use if it is leaking or has been beat on and neglected.

Yes, think about it....90k is mid-life for most cars. Sure, many of us would like to believe that cars should last 200k+, but that is probably not what most manufacturers had in mind when these vehicles were designed.

Not to be smart, but are you saying that it`s just by chance that they last to 200k?

Not exactly, most people on this forum expect stuff to last forever, and that is simply not a realistic expectation. However, I have no idea how these numbers of 250k service life are arrived at, as most of them are derived from past experience and not any other credible source.

Coincidently, my buddy's daughter has an '07 Scion tC 2.4L(purchaced 1 yr ago), with the same engine and ~mileage(95K) as Frank D's '07 Camry. And this tC also burns oil at quite a high rate for a high school girls car to be using. Just back/fourth to school(graduated) and her little job. She isn't playing taxi with her friends I am told! So, this car doesn't see lots of driving.

No leaks to be found and there is no sign of smoke from the tail pipe in this Scion tC. The engine runs great and it's strong(er) feeling than my buddy's(her dad) '04 Camry 2.4L(a nice engine itself).

They have tried HM oils to no avail thus far. I will get together with him and discuss the PCV and it's location.

Is the PCV difficult to change in this engine???

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Coincidently, my buddy's daughter has an '07 Scion tC 2.4L(purchaced 1 yr ago), with the same engine and ~mileage(95K) as Frank D's '07 Camry. And this tC also burns oil at quite a high rate for a high school girls car to be using. .................

I would not draw and parallel conclusions on that car that was bought used with 95K. No telling what the previous owner did or did not do to that car.

Known problem this year. There is a TSB for it.

http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2011/T-SB-0094-11.pdf

"Some 2006 – 2011 model year vehicles equipped with the 2AZ-FE engine may exhibit engine oil consumption. The piston assembly has been changed to minimize oil consumption. Use the following repair procedure to address this condition."

Its mind boggling how many I4's there are in these years.

Dealer will not perform TSB at no charge, you are over the 60,000 mile warranty. I will bet PCV valve will not cure your "problem" but we'd like to know if it does.

I have a 2009 Camry(same drivetrain as yours) that consumes 1 quart every 4-5,000 miles depending on which oil I use.

Car seems to drink PP 5W-20 a bit faster than M1 5W-20. I change oil every 8,000 miles and top up at 1/2 quart intervals. Car has been consuming oil at this rate since about 100,000 miles and now has 194,000 miles on it.

I recommend experimenting with different oils to see if any particular oil is best. If you can, try to relax and enjoy the car and just keep the oil topped up. You will probably not spend a lot of money on repairs, so this will likely be an economical car for you.

2006 Toyota Camry v6 with 266,000 miles. no major repairs..

anyway, my buddy have 2009 matrix with 2.4l, the car consume oil about 1.5 qt.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Coincidently, my buddy's daughter has an '07 Scion tC 2.4L(purchaced 1 yr ago), with the same engine and ~mileage(95K) as Frank D's '07 Camry. And this tC also burns oil at quite a high rate for a high school girls car to be using. .................

I would not draw and parallel conclusions on that car that was bought used with 95K. No telling what the previous owner did or did not do to that car.

The maintenance records that came with this car was like no other. The previous owner(PO) and private seller, kept the records & clean CarFax Report and original date of sale, in a nice folder with all reciepts/dealer work orders. You wouldn't believe(yes you would) how the dealer(yes, the DEALER) ripped off this PO(professional young lady). This was a great selling point. She had receipts from all over the North/South East but, NO PVC record. Lots of Highway miles between NY-NC/SC.

And I was wrong on the miles that were on the OD when they(buddy/daughter) bought the car. There were 98K miles on it in summer 2011.(~25K/yr).

...the dealer(yes, the DEALER) ripped off this PO(professional young lady). This was a great selling point. She had receipts from all over the North/South East but, NO PVC record. ....

fact of the matter is: not that many factory trained stealership mechs would care about the routing maintenance part of servicing/replacing PCV valves, period.

I had numerous fights with local stealerships including a rather famous one here locally (where it was that Japanese brand that was bought out by French?) where when queried about the PCV valve for a 95 sentra, the parts counter guy gave me a blank stare and said it's not a regular dealer stocked item (say what??!)...then when I told him about the importance of the PCV valve functionality in an emissions-controlled gasoline vehicle in N/A, he grabbed his so-called senior tech from the shop and told me that no such thing exists (!?)... I went back to my friend's home (15mins), took some pics and took the PCV valve along back to the mech and they gave me a blank stare, still insisting that there's no such thing called a PVC valve exists...(what arrogance)...ended up filing a formal complaint to the national HQ .....

Arrogance and ignorance littered this automobile landscape and don't be surprised if some so-called senior mech still don't know what they are dealing with/ or talking about....

Aside from TSB or factory recalls, I don't bring any of my vehicles to stealerships, period.

Q.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
My 2.4 doesn't use any, and I tow with it. I dunno. But normal wear wouldn't suddenly increase consumption. A PCV that's stuck would.

Mine either with 133k + on the ODO!

Let us know at 2k. Get some highway miles on it, where the known problem with the TSB I linked will be exposed. Hope your not effected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back