alternative to volvo penta 75w-90 full synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lars11
well, maybe it will work. However, this is one application where I wouldnt try to outsmart the manual at all. Note Volvo's intensity in recommending only Volvo OR SHC and nothing else.
In the steering servo or engine, Volvo recommends its own (of course) or "any dexron" or in the engine API SH... quite open recommendation, right?
But in the drive, ONLY Volvo full synth OR the Mobil SHC. That's no joke.

I thought about it and realized that the 30 dollars in yearly savings of using mobil 1 just isn't justifable when it would cost several thousand to rebuild the drive if i'm wrong.

well, maybe it will work. However, this is one application where I wouldnt try to outsmart the manual at all. Note Volvo's intensity in recommending only Volvo OR SHC and nothing else.
In the steering servo or engine, Volvo recommends its own (of course) or "any dexron" or in the engine API SH... quite open recommendation, right?
But in the drive, ONLY Volvo full synth OR the Mobil SHC. That's no joke.

I agree with you here. However, my manual is rather specific on engine oil, stating never to use a multi-viscosity oil, ONLY SAE 30. This seems about as backward as it gets, but who am I to question? Seems 75% of boaters ignore that advice.

no I agree with you cchase on engine oil.
But as I tried to state clearly, I don't think the fact that you can very well use many oil alternatives to run a chevy v8 proves that you can successfully use lots of alternatives in the modern cone clutch duoprop or single prop Pentas.
I use delvax mx 15w40 in my 5.0gi with identical oli pressure as the volvo mineral oil, volvo recommmends mineral 20w50 or straight 30 synthetic but also a very low sae s classification. I think it means "use stout, fairly hi visc oil, change it at 50 hrs, beware of fuel dilution"
In my manual, volvo's take on multi vis oils is to "ignore any multi vis recommendations stamped on the block or printed on the oil cap". I think that is to avoid using a truck or auto recommendation left printed on the engine parts.

But I suspect that for light use, most GL5 synth would work ok. I just don't try it myself. Only been boating with pentas since 1980 though.
wink.gif

No, exactly like this: Mobilube SHC fully synthetic sae 75w90. Don't think that's LS. The drive has a cone clutch, you don't want that to slip=heat.

Mobilube 1 SHC Fully Synthetic 75W-90 is no longer available under that name in the US. According to an email today from an ExxonMobil Marine Tech (by the name of Luc), "... [Mobil] Delvac Syn Gear 75W-90 is the modern replacement for the old SHC 75W-90."

The Delvac Full Synthetic lube is not near as pricey as the VP lube, or even Mobil 1 75W-90 for that matter unless you can find the M1 on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back