Why use 15/40 engine oil in a diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
But, I would like to know what fleets use in Alaska, Canada, Russia and similar places.

There is plenty of 15w-40 use up here. Even when it comes to winter use, those that do cold starts often just switch to a 10w-30 HDEO. There certainly are advantages, however, to being able to use one viscosity year round. For the heavy duty usage issue, as Doug Hillary mentioned, not everyone out there actually runs the tests and crunches the numbers to realize the benefit from the synthetic lubricants. Conventional 15w-40 under manufacturer recommended OCIs will work fine. Going beyond those limitations with a premium lubricant requires a little more effort than simply reading the manual.

Originally Posted By: skyship
...BUT what I can't comprehend is the number of smaller truck and diesel car owners using 15/40. My own Volvo V40 had 15/40 used by a previous owner a few times.

Why not? You mentioned that the price difference isn't that much. Well, it depends upon one's source, too. 15w-40 can often be had at a very attractive price.

Fortunately in Canada all the majors, that's Mobil/ESSO, Petro-Canada and Shell plus some independants offer 0W-30 and 0W-40 HDEOs at a reasonably price.
For a diesel car or light truck with a small sump capacity I'm sure it's false economy to use the antiquated low VI 15W-40 grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back