Valvoline WB vs Pennzoil YB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best protection, fuel economy, durability and of course from your personal preference, just curious
smile.gif

If cost were the same I'd go for the Pennzoil. If one were cheaper, I'd buy that one.

We don't have a lot of Valvoline users around here.

IMHO SN certified is SN certified with maybe a few differences in additives offering the consumer maybe a better cleaning as opposed to a little longer longevity?? I seriously doubt any LARGE differences.....BUT all that said my BITOG reading have made me biased toward PYB!!!
shocked.gif

We don't have a lot of Valvoline users around here.[/quote]

Yes i notice that, thats why i would like to see them show up and tell us their experiences with both oil, if they did.

I've seen cars go well past 200k on either oil. Which is cheaper would the one I'd put in my car. Either oil changed at regular intervals will serve you well for many years.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
IMHO SN certified is SN certified with maybe a few differences in additives offering the consumer maybe a better cleaning as opposed to a little longer longevity?? I seriously doubt any LARGE differences.....BUT all that said my BITOG reading have made me biased toward PYB!!!
shocked.gif

yes I know, its getting confusing somethimes, but maybe pyb is loaded with additives, but from what i read here, its looking like its not that impressive, average i would say.

Originally Posted By: wolf_06
shocked.gif

yes I know, its getting confusing somethimes, but maybe pyb is loaded with additives, but from what i read here, its looking like its not that impressive, average i would say.

I've been using it in my 95 Camry and it makes me feel good...BUT I'm willing to bet if you put Valvoline in my PYB my Camry wouldn't know the difference over the 4k OCI I'm currently running!!

It is? I have no horse in this race, but the data that I have seen on both suggest to me that VWB's additive pack is not that strong versus PYB. In the conventional realm, it would seem that SOPUS and MOBIL lead with the remainder trailing somewhat. Do you see something different?

I'd take whatever is cheaper. My stash for my G missed being VWB by less than a month. Both are regularly on special up here. I prefer the PYB on paper, but that doesn't mean a lot in the real world.

I am curious to which moly, sopus is using in PYB. It does have a healthy dose but is the the newer panacea trinuclear moly or the older kind that takes 3x as much to equal it?

VWB does appear to be weak on paper but it puts up some of the best UOA
I've used both, I liked VWB better in the engine but I like PYB better on paper. Man is that messed up!

I used Valvoline or ashland oil company brands many times, never did u.o.a.. I would say Valvoline "niche" is their High Mileage Oils, it is very good and well thought of here.

Yes i notice that, thats why i would like to see them show up and tell us their experiences with both oil, if they did. [/quote]

The only oil I ever had break down on me was Valvoline. It was almost 30 years ago but I still see no reason to try it again when I am happy with what I use.

At the risk of starting another war of words with a particular poster by writing this, it looks to me, based upon the PDSs of the two oils as well as the posted UOAs that PYB is the stronger oil of the two.
Now, on 4-5K drains, I'd expect maybe lower wear metals from VWB, but stronger TBN retention with PYB.
Which oil cleans better?
Who really knows?
I'd be inclined to say PYB, but Valvoline oils do seem to produce very good results on moderate drain intervals.
I have Valvoline oils in two cars at the moment, so I must think they're pretty good.
I've run PYB in the past, and thought it seemed very smooth and quiet, but then Valvoline does too.
These are quite different oils with entirely different add packs, but both seem to work well in service.
Maybe the answer is buy whichever is cheaper?

Valvoline was the only oil I used until I started using synthetics about 8 or 9 years ago. Any time I had one of my engines open they were always spotless.

Originally Posted By: JRed
If cost were the same I'd go for the Pennzoil. If one were cheaper, I'd buy that one.

Agreed. I have used a lot more PYB than VWB.

shocked.gif

I beg to differ, in that sense a Doctor who got straight A's in med school and a Doctor who almost failed, are both doctors, but both are different, what one would you use?

There is no "bad oil" just "Bad oil" for certain applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back