MaxLife Over Mercon V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to MaLife over Nissan Matic J/S in wife's Armada and also use it in 95 Camry. Very smooth so far. Over the last few months I've read a few posts where it seemed that there were questions about MaxLife being compatible with or ok to substitute for Mercon V.

Spoke to Valvoline tech today to confirm. Tech said the additive package in MaxLife is above any beyond the spec for Mercon V...use it as a Mercon V replacement and sleep well.

Anyone have a reason not to believe it??

Mercon V is probably close to the cost of Maxlife, and it works well in the transmissions it's specced for.

Maxlife does seem to work as a Mercon V replacement, though.

Last edited:
No reason not to believe it, but is there something about Mercon V that dissuades you from using it?

I am guessing this is for your F-150?

Consolidation is nice but not necessary. Certainly not pursuaded away from Mercon V but around me It's dealer's or SuperTec which isn't really a serious negative. Or sometimes AA has Aamco Mercon V. Lots of times AA and most others just don't stock much and the few quarts they have are pretty overpriced.

Way crazy as I'm working 25 miles north of NYC and live 50 miles north of NYC. I blame Dem's and price fixing!!
shocked.gif

MaxLife just fits in really well ans so far it's made the 10 Armada feel smoother (even wife said it and she don't notice much on a car!!) and certainly made the Camry feel great but after 68k and 17 years that's not a fair comparison at all!!
sick.gif

Originally Posted By: JRed
Mercon V is probably close to the cost of Maxlife, and it works well in the transmissions it's specced for.

My area MaxLife is $17 per 4 qt bottle and MotorCraft is $25 per same. According to Valvoline tech MaxLife additivies surpase Mercon V additives. Theoretically a slightly better product for less $$$. Real world always different in application though!

I've been using Max Life Mercon III/V or what ever it is, for a 99 Saturn since 2006 with 70k miles or so. It now has I believe over 150k miles, no issues, shifts great. Seems to be a high quality fluid. I'm using it in a 94 Saturn SL2 with probably over 200k miles, with good results.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Consolidation is nice but not necessary. Certainly not persuaded away from Mercon V but around me It's dealer's or SuperTec which isn't really a serious negative. Or sometimes AA has Aamco Mercon V. Lots of times AA and most others just don't stock much and the few quarts they have are pretty overpriced.

Way crazy as I'm working 25 miles north of NYC and live 50 miles north of NYC. I blame Dem's and price fixing!!
shocked.gif

I can certainly understand the cost and availability factor playing a big part in which way you go
laugh.gif

MaxLife just fits in really well ans so far it's made the 10 Armada feel smoother (even wife said it and she don't notice much on a car!!)

If the trans really “feels smoother”, that’s because the friction materials are slipping more between shifts. That’s a bad thing. I’d suggest that you do some serious research on how automatic transmissions actually work before you decide whether or not you should stop using the correct fluid and start using the wrong fluid. A few extra dollars for the right fluid will be much cheaper than a rebuilt transmission. Just because something cheaper is available, that doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to use.

Keith

Originally Posted By: KB2008X
MaxLife just fits in really well ans so far it's made the 10 Armada feel smoother (even wife said it and she don't notice much on a car!!)

If the trans really “feels smoother”, that’s because the friction materials are slipping more between shifts. That’s a bad thing. I’d suggest that you do some serious research on how automatic transmissions actually work before you decide whether or not you should stop using the correct fluid and start using the wrong fluid. A few extra dollars for the right fluid will be much cheaper than a rebuilt transmission. Just because something cheaper is available, that doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to use.

Keith

I agree with the comment that cheaper does not mean it's the right thing to use....BUT that's not the case here as MaxLife is spec'd as a replacement for Matic J and matic S. According to Valvoline the additive pack is above and beyond the Nissan fluids as well.

I posted here concerning Mervon V as that is not specifically listed by Valvoline on the bottle. A phone call to Valvoline was answered with a yes, MaxLife is a-ok to use in place of and in conjunction with Mercon V.

Originally Posted By: KB2008X

Keith

KB makes an important point to consider!

Originally Posted By: JRed

My area MaxLife is $17 per 4 qt bottle and MotorCraft is $25 per same. According to Valvoline tech MaxLife additivies surpase Mercon V additives. Theoretically a slightly better product for less $$$. Real world always different in application though!

I don't think that additives alone make a good ATF, just like good additives alone will not make a good motor oil. I think the tech is wrong. For the proof, check the product data sheets of any real mercon V and Maxlife. Maxlife has kinematic viscosity at 100C below 7cst, while the Mercon V fluids are well above 7cst, which shows that Maxlife is thinner than Mercon V fluids. Also, the Maxlife ATF bottles I saw at AAP a month ago did not claim compatibility with Mercon V. I think what's happening is that Maxlife ATF got reformulated recently making it incompatible with Mercon V, and yet the web site materials as well as the tech support people are out of touch with this. If you still have doubt, try to confront Valvoline techs with these facts.

If you want to save money on Mercon V fluid, order Castrol Mercon V ATF from AAP online, then use CCABIN code on check out. This will knock $20 off purchase of $50, or $40 off a purchase of $100 or more. Should be cheap enough IMO. If AAP is not available in your area, consider NAPA Auto Parts. Their NAPA mercon v ATF is made by Ashland (same as Valvoline). The cost in my area is about $4.60 a quart making it the cheapest Mercon V fluid retail price I know. Still, changing the ATF in some Fords at this rate can be pricey. The old 1996-2007 Taurus requires about 15 quarts for a full flush (and a new filter). That's approximately $100 (with AAP discount).

Last edited:
I agree with the previous poster, Mercon V application is not recommended on the ML jug, thus I wouldn't use it for that application. I'd stick with Mercon V.

Like MaxLife though, currently running it in two vehicles, a Civic and a Tacoma, and soon to be an Accord. But all those applications are recommended on the ML jug.

Valvoline reformulated MaxLife ATF several years ago (2008?) to nearly match the low viscosity of Dexron VI (6.0 cSt at 100C). For Dexron VI specs, see

http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/resour...amp;language=en

Earlier Dexron formulations (e.g., IIE, IIIH) were more viscous like Mercon V, but some newer transmissions designed for Dexron VI require a lower viscosity fluid. GM has asserted that Dexron VI is a suitable replacement for earlier Dexron fluids in nearly all GM applications. The older Dexron fluids reportedly shear down to a viscosity below 6.0 in typical service intervals. Valvoline claims that MaxLife ATF meets or exceeds all of the performance tests for Dexron VI. So the current formulation of MaxLife ATF is effectively a Dexron VI clone with the advantage that it is a full synthetic while most Dexron VI fluids are blends of conventional and synthetic base oils. Note that MaxLife ATF is not a certified Dexron VI fluid because it does not use the mandated Afton additive package.

Valvoline recommends MaxLife ATF (which has a viscosity of 6.1 cST at 100C) as a replacement for a broad range of fluids including Mercon V. See

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

AMSOIL makes similarly broad claims for AMSOIL ATF which has a viscosity of 6.8 cSt at 100C. See

http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/atf_gm_dexron_spec.htm

But note that Valvoline recommended MaxLife ATF as a replacement for Dexron VI BEFORE they lowered the viscosity to nearly match Dexron VI. (My recollection is that the older formulation of MaxLife ATF had a viscosity of 6.8 cSt at 100C, but I can't immediately find my archived copy of the relevant data sheet.) I wonder what compatiblity problems with the old formulation of MaxLife ATF in Dexron VI applications motivated its reformulation with a lower viscosity.

Thank you for posting that info ponderosaTX.

Maybe people will stop parroting that MaxLife is the same as Mercon and Dexron VI.

I used Valvoline oil and ATF exclusively for several decades for daily drivers and for extreme applications, but I'm not buying the marketing [censored] regarding their magic fluid that somehow is able to meet multiple manufacturer specs.

Keith

If you're really looking for one ATF for the Nissan and Ford, Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle ATF would be your answer. I have the PDS from Valvoline, but they do not have any info on their website because they are only selling it at O'Reilly until sales pick up. Not sure how to post the PDF for everyone to see though.

It has the viscosity of a Mercon V, and meets the specs for most Euro makes. Plus, it's a full synthetic. ~ $6 per quart.

Quote:
If you're really looking for one ATF for the Nissan and Ford, Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle ATF would be your answer. I have the PDS from Valvoline, but they do not have any info on their website because they are only selling it at O'Reilly until sales pick up. Not sure how to post the PDF for everyone to see though.

It has the viscosity of a Mercon V, and meets the specs for most Euro makes. Plus, it's a full synthetic. ~ $6 per quart.

It's been discussed previously in this thread. The pdf can be found by clicking on Hokiefyd's link and then the pdf on the Valvoline site. And, it's currently sold at AAP for ~$6.50/qt.

Again, since Mercon V is not listed on the ML bottle/jug/pdf I'd not use it for Mercon V applications. But I'd have no problem using ML for Nissan D,J,K, or S as shown on the jug and pdf, or any other application listed.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
I have the PDS from Valvoline, but they do not have any info on their website because they are only selling it at O'Reilly until sales pick up. Not sure how to post the PDF for everyone to see though.

The PDS doesn't say a whole lot about it. It's a slightly thicker ATF (around 7 cSt at 100*C), so it doesn't pass viscosity requirements for MERCON LV or Dex VI and the like. Advance Auto Parts and AutoZone both sell this product (blue bottle). I bought some at Advance a few weeks ago. Honestly, I don't think it runs as smooth in our CR-V as the MaxLife does, but the jury is still out on that. I will put three more quarts of Valvoline's IMV through it in about 4,000 more miles.

My lack of experience, knowledge shines thru....please school me. Did Vslvoline merely not put Mercon, Mercon V on the bottle and only Mercon LV because the LV will surpass the others and be compatible??

I've spoken to them a few times and they do seem to be pretty squared away and honest. When I asked about the Nissan Armada I said it wasn't VVT and the tech said you should be good but let me make sure....In other words, I don't trust you saying it's not VVT I'll look it up!

Anyone know of a reason I should NOT believe Valvoline when they say it's a fine substitute for Mercon V?? And I don't mean in theroy!

If the tranny calls for Mercon V, and if you want to use a Valvoline fluid, Valvoline makes a very good (in my experience in my old Aerostar) Mercon V ATF.
Maxlife ATF ain't it.
With an automatic, more of any given additive is not what matters.
What matters is the friction characteristics of the ATF and its viscosity.
Always use the recommended ATF in any tranny, unless there is a documented reason to use something else.
An automatic transmission is an expensive piece.
Use an alternative "just as good as or better than" fluid at your peril.

My lack of experience, knowledge shines thru....please school me. Did Vslvoline merely not put Mercon, Mercon V on the bottle and only Mercon LV because the LV will surpass the others and be compatible??

Probably so. Mercon LV is the new, lower viscosity version of Mercon V. I believe that you can use it wherever a Mercon V is specified. Similar to Dexron VI replacing Dexron III, and Mopar ATF+4 replacing ATF+3, and Honda DW-1 replacing Z1. Hot finished viscosity doesn't seem to be that critical to ATF performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back