New Makita MAC 700 air compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple of questions about an air compressor I just ordered. It's a Makita MAC 700

1. How long should I run the factory fill before I switch to Synthetic?
2. How many ounces will the pump hold, capacity?
3. What size is the drain plug? I want to install a magnetic plug on it.
Thanks,
Dusty

the book should tell you.

what are you planning on running with that. It looks nice but it wont run most air tools.. would be great for tires.. and intermittant use such as nailers etc.

the below is from a review on amazon.com it kinda answers some of that:

I just received the compressor and it's the first one that I've owned. The shroud was cracked upon receipt, but I don't think it's worth the trouble to have that piece replaced.

Now that I've gotten everything figured out, I think it'll work fine, but the manual is a complete disaster. Some important setup instructions are completely omitted and others are so obtuse as to be worthless. If you don't know your way around compressors, the following steps that I took may prove useful:

1. Remove the plastic plug on the back of the compressor and pour in the included oil until the level is about half way up the little transparent indicator window.

2. Replace the disposable oil plug with the long black plastic one that they include (not in the instructions -- the piece is item number 36 on the parts diagram)

3. Remove the other disposable plastic plug from the side of the compressor (high up and toward the back of the shroud. This is where you need to install the air filter (also not in the instructions.) The air filter assembly is item number 35 on the parts diagram -- it's the other spare part included that's chrome and about the size of a hockey puck with a wing nut holding it together.

4. You'll screw in the air filter assembly where you removed that plastic plug, but I'd suggest that you use some teflon tape on the threads to make a good seal.

5. The instructions mention that you're to open the air receiver's drain valve for initial start up. Nowhere in any diagram is any part labeled as such, but I'm pretty sure it's item number 47, a valve on the side of the compressor very near the bottom.

Last edited:
Small stuff really, for airing up my car/truck tires after those [censored] trashed the free air.
After research and Trav's advise I chose this one.
It looks to be the most heavy duty in it's class, which is mostly oil free junk.
I live in a 600 SQ/FT apartment, so getting the 150 gallon with a diesel engine isn't an option right now but will come in the future.

That 700 has an impressive cfm for it's size. Plus, iirc, a 100% duty cycle. A nice compressor I've looked at several times.

its VERY nice.. just not enough air for stuff like a impact wrench. I'd love to have one..
I have a tiny oil-less.. for one reason. I also dust out registers with it. It was 39.99$ when it goes.. I'll probably upgrade again.

I got tired of dragging my 2hp 8gal hotdog style with air filter on it.. that thing didnt roll worth a darn and killed my back.. the new one weighs about 25lb and easy to move.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. How long should I run the factory oil before putting in synthetic pump juice?
Dusty

I ran mine a year but I didnt use it very often..

It should give you a recommendation in the book.

you can decide if thats good or not.

I found online that the manual recommended a 20 minute break in. Is that enough time to then make the switch over? The manual does not mention synthetic so I assume 20 minutes and "switch it over" Also what size are the threads on the drain plug so I can aquire a magnetic type?

Last edited:
I have the dual tank version of this. Great compressor, well made. Stands up to most anything.

I ran mine about 20 minutes and then switched to synthetic (amsoil). Wasnt particularly scientific about it, just used it for various things and then fairly quickly went to syn. Maybe it was too soon? I dont know... But Ive used it for various things including undercarriage oiling, and it works great.

The compressor itself felt notably cooler after I went to syn oil.

I have a MAC 700 and changed out the oil after the break-in and using it a couple of times and it works well. It took 8 oz. of oil to refill. I don't know the tread size of the bolt.

You will like the compressor. It is quiet and well made. It runs my 1/2 impact wrench and have I used it to remove an axle bolt as well as lug nuts on tires. Mostly just use it to refill tires. It cycles a lot due to the small tank size but it refills quickly and quietly so that is not a problem.

does it have a drain plug.. most just have a fill plug and you tip over.

Which would make a magnetic one worthless.

Originally Posted By: Rand
its VERY nice.. just not enough air for stuff like a impact wrench. I'd love to have one..

You can run an impact wrench with it. I was able to get one
wheel off before the air compressor kicks in.

Not only does it have a drain plug, it is a quarter turn ball valve with a nice handle. Easier to use than a screw type that is hard on the fingers. Use it often - amazing how much water collects and what damage it can do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back