04 TDI, M1 TDT 5w-40, 9812 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
TDIUOA.jpg

"Aside from your Jetta magically turning into a Ferrari, you couldn't ask for much more than this."

LOL

nice .2 on the insolubles... what oil filter were you using?

did you add a bypass?

Awesome report.

Last edited:
Take that 505.01!

Apparently it takes about 120k miles to break in a TDI.

Are all these changes on TDT or just the last one? Which other oils were used?

Originally Posted By: Benzed
Apparently this oil doesn't have any molybdenum. Anyone else notice that? What about adding a moly additive?

Adding snake oil to a high quality oil like the one used would interfere with the function of the additives pack. If this oil needed some moly, Mobil would have added some.
Liqui Moly themselves don't even use Moly in most of their better synthetic oils, although they still sell cans of it for folks that think it will help.
The UOA is near perfect although it would be nice to know what the remaining TBN is and it demonstrates that you don't need fancy VW approved oils to get good results, just a 5/40 with enough Zinc.
I suspect this engine has an easy life of mostly highway use in a clean air environment, as the Silicon and Insolubles are very low, unless it has a bypass filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: meb
How many miles are on the motor?

130K miles total. The first oil used in the series is of a different type, but it's a pity the OP did not confirm which other oils were used. I've seen a lot of VW TDI UOA's and this is probably the best one. Must have been all highway, no cold starts, clean air and driven like a Granny, using good oil and filters.

Originally Posted By: skyship
Apparently this oil doesn't have any molybdenum. Anyone else notice that? What about adding a moly additive?

Adding snake oil to a high quality oil like the one used would interfere with the function of the additives pack. If this oil needed some moly, Mobil would have added some.
Liqui Moly themselves don't even use Moly in most of their better synthetic oils, although they still sell cans of it for folks that think it will help.
The UOA is near perfect although it would be nice to know what the remaining TBN is and it demonstrates that you don't need fancy VW approved oils to get good results, just a 5/40 with enough Zinc.
I suspect this engine has an easy life of mostly highway use in a clean air environment, as the Silicon and Insolubles are very low, unless it has a bypass filter.

Because it does help as my mileage and equipment has proven. Get off your soap box. No one is listening

This oil doesn't need any help being excellent, if Mobil thought the additive package on this oil needed moly they would have added it, much like they do on the vast majority of their synthetic oil lineup. They've intentionally omitted it from this formula and I doubt there's any way to make this oil "better"; it is one of their best.

Mobil uses 44 ppm Mo (and 113 ppm B) in my VOA of Delvac 1 LE 5W30. Evidently they do think molybdenum has a place in at least one of their premium truck oils.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie

Mobil uses 44 ppm Mo (and 113 ppm B) in my VOA of Delvac 1 LE 5W30. Evidently they do think molybdenum has a place in at least one of their premium truck oils.

Charlie

Not only that, but they also use it in Mobil 1 0w-40, their flagship product
thumbsup2.gif

However, on this point I must agree with skyship, if this particular product needed moly, or if moly was advantageous to its performance, they would have included it. We KNOW they do in their other lubricants. SO this leads me to believe that by adding it ourselves, we would not be making this product "better" by playing "Chemist the home game".

Originally Posted By: The Critic
TDIUOA.jpg

What was the very first oil used, because the figures are bad for a 2500 mile OCI ?? It's got a weird add pack with no Boron and is out of the 40 grade range.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back