How much oil in AC system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Since the system has been opened, substantial work must be done anyway. Id get solvent, do a flush, possibly replace the condenser or at least try to flush it, definitely put in a new receiver dryer, add the OE amount of oil in the dryer and compressor, seal up with new O-rings anywhere I could, and then fill with Nitrogen and R22 or an equivalent refrigerant suitable for sniffing. Overpressurize it and leak check, when youre OK with that, pull it to 500 micron of vacuum for 30-90 minutes (longer is better) and then fill with the right mass of 134 per the OEM setup.

Good to go.

If you flush with solvent you had better be very sure you get all of it out or it will ruin a compressor. It takes a lot longer than you think to blow out components that you flush out with solvent, even the types of solvent that are supposed to evaporate. Also, most newer style condensors are not easily flushable and are better off replaced. Most car manufacturers don't recommend flushing when doing AC repairs. If the compressor fails, most recommend replacing the components instead.

As far as the condition of the his OT, it was not that bad. I have seen some that are a lot worse. I have seen plenty of OT's with a few small pieces of metal shavings on it that have never had a compressor failure. My 98 K1500 that I bought new and only had a leaking compressor was like this.

He said this was his beater car and is why I suggested replacing the OT, the valve, evacuate and recharge. Of coarse he may have a high pressure situation causing the valve to blow which will require more repairs.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
You're not even going to replace the dryer after opening the system???!?

You have to be joking. There is cheap, and then there are bad decisions.

Other horrifying bad decisions include, but are not limited to:

-Adding one full bottle of STP to the transaxle because the input shaft bearing has about 1/16" of play in it. At least the fluid I drained to make room for the STP didn't come out silver like it did when I bought it.

-My concentric slave cylinder was on the way out. While waiting for a weekend where I could get a lift in a heated garage, I just pumped the [censored] out of the pedal at stoplights.

-JB welding one of the charcoal canister hose barbs back on after a crash.

-Triggering the new upgraded horn relay with the old horn relay. Pulled power for the new horns right at the alternator, I did use a fuse.

-Sealing a rusty wheel tub leaking into the trunk with RTV gasket maker.

-When rebuilding the front end and replacing the completely rotted out k frame, I discovered that the sway bar was really crusty at the somewhat worn bushings, making for a lot of slop after I knocked all the scale off the bar. I reused the bushings and took up the slack with electrical tape.

-Fender held on with self drilling self tapping sheet metal screws.

The steering, mission critical suspension, brakes, tires(H rated on all 4 corners) and engine are maintained meticulously. Everything else can be hacked together for all I care about this clunker.

Last edited:
Go my new relief valve, oring kit, and orifice tube today, went out and bought this this bottle of pag 150 at Advance Auto and 2 cans (1.5 lbs) of 134a from walmart. Using an extremely clean graduated turkey baster, I added ~3.75 ounces of oil to the system, 2 ounces into the condenser under the orifice tube, 1.5 ounces into the low side service port(drains pretty evenly between the accumulator and compressor), and 1/4 oz into the charge line on the manifold gauges to ensure the compressor would get hit with oil the second it came on. I replaced the two o rings I disturbed adding oil and putting in the new orifice tube, the relief valve came with new orings on it. I then pulled a vacuum to 29 inches for about 2 hours, with a half hour break for the pump midway through and to ensure that the orings I replaced weren't leaking. It charged up fine and is operating with healthy pressures.

This is by far the coldest this AC has ever been, ICE COLD. I don't know if there was air in the system before, the additives in the oil actually did something, or what. It will now freeze me out of the car no problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back