Cosmoline MSDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
What can you tell me about Cosmoline? Obviously there is not an MSDS for the original stuff that used to soak weapons during WWII.

I'm sick of cleaning it off WWII guns but without the stuff milsurp prolly wouldn't be available...I imagine bunkers full of rusted useless rifles had they not been soaked in cosmo...

So what the heck is/was this stuff?

i have seen it. i think its partly wax. i had a car that had cam i liked a lot. so i bought a new one from the factory cause no one else made one like it. when i got it , it was covered in Cosmoline, in a card board box. so i ask how to store it. i was told NOT take the coating off, it will last forever. some time ago i looked up Cosmoline, on the internet. you can buy it, its NOT cheap.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmoline

NO
mad.gif

Darn, I want some of that stuff to keep our cars looking new. Sounds like just the ticket for a "set and forget" rust-proofing!

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Darn, I want some of that stuff to keep our cars looking new. Sounds like just the ticket for a "set and forget" rust-proofing!

You must enjoy the cosmo aroma.

I use Lee Liquid Alox on the turn stops of my 4WD to stop the graunching sound on turns, and to rust proof small stuff...same stuff as Lubrizol Alox 606-55 (google Lubrizol 606-55).

Originally Posted By: Bangaroo
What can you tell me about Cosmoline? Obviously there is not an MSDS for the original stuff that used to soak weapons during WWII.

I'm sick of cleaning it off WWII guns but without the stuff milsurp prolly wouldn't be available...I imagine bunkers full of rusted useless rifles had they not been soaked in cosmo...

So what the heck is/was this stuff?

OT: and where do you get all this surplus WWII weaponry? Is it safely functional?

There's heaps of surplus stuff coming out around the world.

Most militaries keep the old stuff stored "just in case", until they are a few generations obsolete.

I have a surplus P.38 (Walther AC42) that was packed in Jizzmoline.

Even after a detail strip and cleaning in a solvent tank, it still reeks of the stuff.

I know of guys who have had great luck wrapping their cosmoline coated firearms in paper towels, then in a black contractor's trash bag.

Taping it all shut, then putting it in a locked car trunk for a afternoon parked in the sun.

It can easily get 120 degrees and up in a car. I can only imagine it gets much hotter in a closed trunk.

BTW, the trunk melted a bunch of my wife's scented candles that we got from a garage sale. Although I got them back in working order by placing them upright, and again locking them in a closed trunk, now my trunk smells all pretty and not like antifreeze and oil that I have spilled in there.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: tom slick
Look up c&r firearms to find 50+ year old firearms. Here is an example

http://www.jgsales.com/c-r-guns-c-290.html

Posting that link is just plain nasty...

We have to pay $3k plus for a Krag, and $1200 for a Finnish Nagant.

Can y'all get regular Red Commie Nagants? How much? The Krags and Finnish Nagants are getting higher over here. A basic WWIIish era Tula Mosin-Nagant can be had for $150 easy right now..

Originally Posted By: Bangaroo
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: tom slick
Look up c&r firearms to find 50+ year old firearms. Here is an example

http://www.jgsales.com/c-r-guns-c-290.html

Posting that link is just plain nasty...

We have to pay $3k plus for a Krag, and $1200 for a Finnish Nagant.

Can y'all get regular Red Commie Nagants? How much? The Krags and Finnish Nagants are getting higher over here. A basic WWIIish era Tula Mosin-Nagant can be had for $150 easy right now..

Just got a '39 Tula 91-30 for $90. it goes to the range later this morning.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

OT: and where do you get all this surplus WWII weaponry? Is it safely functional?

I'm not sure if the program is still around but I got mine from the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP), mailed directly from federal arsenals to my home. Most of them were refurbished after WWII by the Army and squirreled away for a war that never happened. The others were Lend-Lease weapons that were finally returned home from overseas (esp. Denmark).

Pretty much anything from CMP is absolutely caked in cosmoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back