Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 purchase - cold feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJC

I was ready to head to US Costco tomorrow to get a set of 4 tires (215/65R16) Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 for a 2004 Sienna ... but a bit of BITOG research and scant tirerack info had me questioning my decision. They are $447 out of the door, including a $100 rebate. But realistically I don't care about saving a few dollars on a tire that sacrifices wet grip - esp in rainy Vancouver BC.

I have had the Primacy MXV4's, and they seem like a decent well-rated tire. The Costco tire guy also mentioned the Michelin Defender. I'll phone tomorrow and see what's available.

Thoughts?

EDIT: My main concern is longevity, quiet and good wet traction. We don't get enough snow for that to be a significant consideration.

consider Bridgestone Turanza Serenity?

Bought them from US side of Costco, they come with longest threadwear warranty (70,000miles), obviously more quiet ride and excellent traction when dry/wet.

It's been on my wifey's camry for over 4mnths now and couldn't be more happier.

Q.

Most LRR tires will be a bit lacking in the wet traction area. Remember this all relative to what you are comparing it to, so chances are the EP422 is still passable. The Defender likely suffers from reduced wet traction as well due to its fuel-saving characteristics, but likely to a lesser degree than the EP422:

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/wheels-tires/318615-michelin-defender.html

Originally Posted By: Quest
consider Bridgestone Turanza Serenity?

Bought them from US side of Costco, they come with longest threadwear warranty (70,000miles), obviously more quiet ride and excellent traction when dry/wet.

It's been on my wifey's camry for over 4mnths now and couldn't be more happier.

Q.

Turanza Serenity was just replaced with the new Turanza Serenity Plus. This tire should improve on the poor rolling resistance of its predecessor.

Last edited:
I don't see the Turanza Serenity Plus listed in 215/65R15. Thanks for the feedback gentlemen.
55.gif

Costco seems to list the Standard Touring All-Season for the 2004 Sienna instead of the Grand's.

I have it narrowed down to the Michelin Defender and the BF Goodrich Traction T/A T, in the 215/65R16. I had the Traction T/A's as well as they seemed to be decent on my Volvo wagon.

If it's among just the Michelin Defender and BFGoodrich Traction T/A, I would recommend the Michelin every time. The BFG is a very old design. The Michelin, on the other hand, is about as new as it gets.

A relative has these on a corolla used in FL, and has had no complaints. They have been in use for about a year now.

Originally Posted By: NJC
I was ready to head to US Costco tomorrow to get a set of 4 tires (215/65R16) Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 for a 2004 Sienna ... but a bit of BITOG research and scant tirerack info had me questioning my decision. They are $447 out of the door, including a $100 rebate. But realistically I don't care about saving a few dollars on a tire that sacrifices wet grip - esp in rainy Vancouver BC.

I have had the Primacy MXV4's, and they seem like a decent well-rated tire. The Costco tire guy also mentioned the Michelin Defender. I'll phone tomorrow and see what's available.

Thoughts?

EDIT: My main concern is longevity, quiet and good wet traction. We don't get enough snow for that to be a significant consideration.

On a side note: what is your mileage on your 04 Seinna? are you struts holding up well?

your vehicle's ability to stop safely and quickly not only relies on good tires, but well-performing struts/shocks as well. If your struts are worn, you will not only have difficulties stopping but also establishing uneven wear on your new tires also.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest

On a side note: what is your mileage on your 04 Seinna? are you struts holding up well?

your vehicle's ability to stop safely and quickly not only relies on good tires, but well-performing struts/shocks as well.

Indeed, good points of consideration. I have taken a previously bouncy 2003 Sienna for a drive, so I know the feel. But this 2004 Sienna has 160K, and feels solid and tight at the front.

The Critic made a good point about why pay for the Defender longevity when driving habits will never see the mileage vs time. Typically we do about 13-15k km's per year, so it would take 10 yrs to get to the Defender's rating.

So now am further considering a Michelin that has a softer compound ... I'll have to phone and check stock because my time is limited.

The Bellingham Costco only stock the Michelin Defender and Ecopia EP 422 in a 215/65R16. Too bad - next option is the Pirelli P4 four seasons, carried locally (Canada). Expensive, at $670 installed, but appear highly rated.

Originally Posted By: brelandt
My parents had the Michelins and I installed the EP422 and they love them. I second the Turanza with serenity as well.

that comparison is kind of pointless without knowing which michelin.

if they were oem energy series tires then yea those are blah anyway.

I guess I cut off the second half of my post..

I'd get the bridgestones and if you dont like them.. they should have an exchange policy.

make sure you run them for at least a couple hundred miles and realize that tires take 500+ miles to fully break in(in most cases)

I went with the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons in a 215/65R16. It faired in the top 3 in its class, and it has more of a proven record than the Michelin Defender. But the Michelin reps have certainly paid their Costco visits, or invited all of the tire employees to a Palm Springs conference because they are ALL pushing the Defender.

Big road trip soon, will post back of the details. And proudly Made in ... China?

Originally Posted By: NJC

The Bellingham Costco only stock the Michelin Defender and Ecopia EP 422 in a 215/65R16. Too bad - next option is the Pirelli P4 four seasons, carried locally (Canada). Expensive, at $670 installed, but appear highly rated.
But, can they get any Michelin or Bridgestone in the catalog?

There is a Discount Tire store in Bellingham. First shop the web for the best delivered price of the tires you choose, then ask the DT store to match that price. I used onlinetires.com the last time I bought from DT to get their best price. And, I never buy the added warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back