bg 44k....conclusion on use., please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALS

1)I've just replaced my plugs and wires...is BG 44k going to hurt them?
Absolutely NOT
2)I have about 10,000 miles on my fuel filter. do I have to replace it after bg44k?
Absolutely NOT
3)do I need to change oil after that? I got my last change 500 miles ago.
It is recommended on various auto sites that you should change the oil afterward. That one is still up the air whether you should or not.
4)is bg44k available at NAPA? Unknown I have always got it at my dealer. Give NAPA a call and see if they carry BG products. Or go to BG's web site xxx.bgprod.xxx and look up a "distributor" for your area. Call the distributor to find a local retail outlet.

[ August 30, 2003, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: ALS ]

ok, I've decidede to try bg44k on my 85,000 miles Ford 4.6L sohc, and need some final conclusive suggestions from all of you, please.

What should I do before and after?
2)I have about 10,000 miles on my fuel filter. do I have to replace it after bg44k?
3)do I need to change oil after that? I got my last change 500 miles ago
confused.gif

4)is bg44k available at NAPA?
Please,please let me know what you guys think...
Thanks!

I can't answer your qeustions, as I am just going to try it myself for the first time. My brother in law is Service Manager at a GM dealership. He told me that at a recent meeting, GM told them they had done testing of fuel system cleaners and there were only two that really worked well...GM's own brand (of course!) and BG44K. So I though, hey, I'll give it a shot.

They seem to have strange distribution channels. I ended up orderering 3 cans online.

quote:

Originally posted by 97tbird:
ok, I've decidede to try bg44k on my 85,000 miles Ford 4.6L sohc, and need some final conclusive suggestions from all of you, please.

What should I do before and after?
3)do I need to change oil after that? I got my last change 500 miles ago
confused.gif

4)is bg44k available at NAPA?
Please,please let me know what you guys think...
Thanks!

OK, I am about 3/4 of the way through my tank of gas that contains BG44K. Car has 85,000 miles on it. No question that the throttle is more responsive and the car feels more peppy.

1. No way it BG44K going to affect your plug wires! I don't know if it will leave any deposits on your plugs. There is some white / yellow powdery deposits on the tip of my exhaust, so good chance it may leave some spark plug deposits.

2. I don't think you necessarily have to change your fuel filter, but if you have never run a fuel cleaner, there is a good change it will loosen up some crap in your gas tank and could clog your filter. I didnt change mine, but I have run Techron before and I do have my filter changed occasionally (like maybe once or twice since the car was new).

3. You dont have to change your oil after you use BG44K. Some people say it may affect a UOA if you have one done. I dont know if this is true.

4. I really doubt it is available at NAPA. Seems like a lot of car dealers use it, especially import car dealers...or order it online. It is easier to order online and costs less, so why not?

97tbird,

Are you still looking for answers? Basically, you shouldn't have any worries other than just finding some! Two Napa stores in my area carry it, but I'm not sure if all Napa stores do. Besides car dealers, all the indy Saab garages in my area carry it. (They all dump it in during a major service, after they've just done a fresh oil change.)

I ran 2 cans of BG44k through my 540i and after a few hundred miles on new oiil the TBN of the oil was around "2", using the old system. It has a nine quart sump and the oil was Mobil Super 13000 15w40 HDEO. So I'm guessing the BG44k is pretty strong stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by 1maniac:
I ran 2 cans of BG44k through my 540i and after a few hundred miles on new oiil the TBN of the oil was around "2", using the old system. It has a nine quart sump and the oil was Mobil Super 13000 15w40 HDEO. So I'm guessing the BG44k is pretty strong stuff.

I can tell from the deposits around the tip of my exhaust and the smell it creates in the exhaust at idle that this is POTENT stuff. WAY STRONGER than Techron I used before. The throttle response seems so much better. I am not even through the tank of gas and I feel very positive about BG44K.

sprintman,

Based on this list of international distributors, it looks like you folks have been left out of the loop.
frown.gif

Maybe there's a Schaeffer or Amsoil product that someone can recommend?
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Eiron:
97tbird,

--snip-- I'm not sure if all Napa stores do. --snip--

It is sold by the reps, and each has a specific territory. Down here in Houston, I've seen it in Car Quest (about 95% of them) but some don't have it...

I have to put my vote in for changing the oil soon after the treatment. BG44K is fairly aggressive and if whatever it cleans finds its way into the oil, it will deplete the detergent/dispersent additives fairly quickly. I did a treatment and kept the oil inservice for another 1K. When I did my UOA, the TBN was ZERO. Prevailing theory is there were considerable deposits in the combustion chambers. Alot came off and some made it to the oil. The D/D adds did their job til depleted and left me with very little protection. So...cheap insurance, change the oil IMHO.

Aggressive is an understatement and wonderful for your seals....NOT!! A PM from somebody most here respect wised me up to this so I purchased Techron which appears to have done an excellent job in both vehicles.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Aggressive is an understatement and wonderful for your seals....NOT!!

Agreed. Needless to say that was the first and LAST time for me to use BG44K. I am now enlightened and have been using Fuel Power for the past few thousand miles. I use the FP/Neutra brew in the Xtterra for some added cleaning power. Both Fuel Power and Neutra are supposedly safer to use than most one-time or "shock" treatments when used in the proper fuel ratio. It seems to be working very well for me.

[ September 19, 2003, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: shortyb ]

To offer some long-term experience information, I've been using it in one car for the past five yrs/50k miles with absolutely no problems. But, I only follow the recommendations of all the mechanics I've talked to, & use it no more than every 15k-20k miles max. (So far, that's three times in this car.) It's definitely not a diluted product you need to use every 3k-5k miles (or every time you fill your tank).

Another Saab owner I've talked to said BG-44K saved him from having to replace one of his fuel injectors (at $400 apiece). To get the same results from a lesser product you'd have to run multiple applications, & how will that affect your failing components?

BG-44K MUST be good stuff-every new car dealership seems to have it in stock. I have seen it at the Honda and Toyota dealerships, and I know that the GM dealership carries it. In fact, the woman who I talked to at the GM dealership recommends it over the GM fuel system cleaner (which they also carry). I know the new Saturn dealership in Pueblo is carrying some BG products-I saw some BG MOA oil additives. I didn't see the BG-44K on their shelves but they probably carry it. You don't see other brands of fuel system cleaner at the dealerships, except for the GM brand. The woman I talked to at the GM dealership recommended using it every 6000 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
---***--- The woman I talked to at the GM dealership recommended using it every 6000 miles.

Sure she's making the $ale$ off of it.
I've used it once. Just because my Mechanic
didn't believe the cleaner I was using was doing it's job, anyway he wanted to knock one part of the equation out of his mind and so I opted... it did no real improvement, it actually decreased my MPG... Engine sounded racier but no performance etc.
Anyway, It was POTENT stuff. And he told me that it shouldn't be used all the time, but if it was used maybe every 60-100K (with no additive treatments like I was using) or at least 150-200K "if you plan on keeping your car" .
If I recall correctly it smelled like PINE-O-PINE.

quote:

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:

quote:

---***--- The woman I talked to at the GM dealership recommended using it every 6000 miles.

My parts guy says they get approx. 60% margin on the sale of BG products if they sell the full service line (they do). I've known him for years so he is not try to BS me or make a sale. He claims they could never make near this margin with any of the other, more common cleaners. Thats because every AutoZone, Advantage, Pep Boys etc sells them in volume and undercuts their margin.

The price of BG44K varies DRAMATICALLY depending on where you buy it. I bought some online recently for $18.50 including shipping. To me, buying one can of BG44K for $18.50 is much better than buying a bottle of Techron for $6.00 because it is a lot more effective.

My impression is BG44K is "professional grade" while Techron is a consumer product. It may be the best of the consumer grade fuel cleaners, but it is still consumer grade.

quote:

Originally posted by shortyb:

quote:

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:

quote:

My parts guy says they get approx. 60% margin on the sale of BG products if they sell the full service line (they do). I've known him for years so he is not try to BS me or make a sale. He claims they could never make near this margin with any of the other, more common cleaners. Thats because every AutoZone, Advantage, Pep Boys etc sells them in volume and undercuts their margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back