2006 Tundra, 6K mi, Mobil 1 EP 5W-30, UOA #18!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is UOA number 18 on this vehicle. I am selling this vehicle to my son, but will be continuing to be the one who maintains it. However, unless my son pays for more UOAs, this will be the last UOA report on this vehicle. Note that I did not perform Particle Counts on this or the last UOA. I will still be posting UOA reports on my 2011 Tundra.

I continue to be underwhelmed at the TBN performance of the SN low Sulphated Ash formulas of Mobil 1. I don't see how this oil could possibly reach 15K miles or 1 year in this vehicle, and this is one that is fairly easy on motor oil.

Not too much to remark on with the current results, the trends are pretty solid and consistent. Comments?

Tundra_UOA18.jpg

Originally Posted By: Garak
I think you did well, and that's some fantastic data, and quite consistent. Perhaps it could go the 15000 miles. That's assuming the TBN degradation isn't linear.

TBN depletion would have to be no way close linear to safely go more than 7500 on this oil.

M1 EP really has nothing special that (I can see at least) over M1. This is a great UOA and you have steady beautiful wear. Really like the way the Fram XG appeared to filter. Great data!

Originally Posted By: Donald
TBN depletion would have to be no way close linear to safely go more than 7500 on this oil.

You're not just whistling Dixie on that one. If one wanted, it might be worth a bit of a push, an extra thousand miles, perhaps, to see how it handles that.

First of all, VERY impressive dedication to methodology.

I presume these are all M1 samples (SM and SN)?

Very consistent data streams. I'd say 10k miles is easily doable, 15k mile might be pushing it a bit, but you could certainly try 12.5K miles and make a decision there.

Understand that the vehicle is leaving your garage. You'll maintain, but not UOA.

I see a LOT of 5k mile OCIs; will that be the continued plan?
Will M1 will be the continued plan?

Here's my suggestion:
Switch over to Mobil conventional Super 5000 oil. There will be a savings, and perhaps that money savings could be put towards more UOAs at 5k mile intervals.
I mention this for two reasons.
1) someone (you or him) is going to save some money
2) Moreover, we NEED this kind of consistent, reliable data streams for good information sharing.

You are one of the few people who has a very solid, methodical approach to UOAs. You are to be complimented on your dedication and consistiency. But it would be a shame to let that data stream disappear.

I would VERY much be interested to see how a quality dino oil would handle 5k mile OCIs in that same vehicle. Presuming that your use and your son's use would be similar, there would be some reasonable ability to compare/contrast long term results.

If you take the savings of using dino oils, and apply it to UOAs, there there would be very little money to have to make up. I, for one, might be willing to assist in the fiscal offset, if you were intersted. But, I'd want to PM with details, because I am interested in specific data development. Are you and he intersted in a little (safe) experimentation?

Last edited:
dnewton3,

Thank you for your comments. To answer some of your questions and address your comments:

This vehicle has only seen Mobil 1 EP its entire life, since factory fill was drained. All UOA intervals reflected Mobil 1 5W-30 EP/SM, except the last two, which were SN rated.

Right now, my plan is to move to an interval of 7,500 or six months, whichever comes first. Right now, I have three vehicles in my family's "fleet" and will be adding a fourth in a couple of months. I am very busy with family/career, and want to reduce the number of oil changes I do - I'd like to limit it to 2 oil changes per year per vehicle, if I can. Both Tundras I own (the 2006 that is the subject of this series of UOAs) and the 2011 specify 5,000 mile oil change intervals. But the 2006 is now about to be out of [extended] warranty. The 2011 has a 125K warranty on it.

I'm considering a new 4 cylinder Camry as the fourth vehicle - not sure if I can afford it. But if I can, that vehicle specifies 10,000 mile/one year oil change intervals. If I acquire this vehicle, I'm tempted to use Amsoil 0W-20 in it as I do like that oil's additive package and I think it would perform better than Mobil 1 EP on an interval that long.

My son will become the principle driver of the 2006 Tundra, but as he still lives with us (as a college student) the vehicle will still be sitting in my driveway. His driving style, however, is as you would expect of an 18-year old - a bit aggressive.

Regarding keeping the data stream going: I've often thought about this. One approach is to continue the same UOA monitoring, but choose a different oil, and compare it with the Mobil 1 EP. Another thought, and one that I am leaning towards: Trying to understand how engine wear changes (at least according to UOAs) as the vehicle ages. I've often wondered why "High Mileage" oils have heavier amounts of anti-wear additives in them. Apparently, engines wear more as they age. This seems counterintuitive to me, so it would be interesting to see how the wear metals trend as the engine goes well past 100K miles.

With four vehicles to maintain, I can't afford to perform UOAs on all four. I've pretty much stopped doing UOAs on my 2003 Lexus GS430. Perhaps my son will be willing to fund UOAs on the 2006 Tundra. He has seemed interested in the reports I have been doing, we'll see if he is interested enough to pay for them :)

btanchors -

What I am looking for is a dedicated user with a methodical process; you are that person.

It's no secret that I'm against wasteful uses of lubes. You have a great history of using syns with very detailed results. I'd like to see (as would most others here) how the same OCI plan (5k miles) would be served by a conventional oil, and then compare/contrast those results to your excellent data stream already established.

Here is another example of very dedicated person that understands the approach of consistiency:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2664064&page=1
He's used syns for quite some time, and now is trying dino oils for the same exposure limits.

What I seek is people that don't hop from brand to brand, grade to grade, in some lame attempt to discover the undiscovered golden nugget. I want to see a consistent UOA approach; you and he are those people. It is RARE to see such patience and diligence.

I'm not made of money, but I would be willing to help out a bit if you can find a way to consider a new approach to your plan. Please PM me if you think there is merit to my suggestion.

Last edited:
dnewton3,

Your comments have caused me to think about why I do this. You are correct in that it would be somewhat of a waste to stop at this point. Pretty much any vehicle using a decent oil at regular intervals should be able to produce UOAs with normal numbers up to 100K miles. It would be interesting to see how the engine wears beyond 100K.

I was disappointed with part of this series of UOAs. I was hoping the Particle Counts would be able to show the differences in filtering ability between different brands of filters. From what I concluded, it would only show gross differences in filtering ability. Since all the filters I used were pretty high-end filters, there was no clear "winner" in the tests.

To continue with this series of tests, I am not sure whether to "stay the course" and use the same brand and weight of oil, or to change what I am using. I am partial to synthetics, but there is no reason I couldn't switch to regular oil for the intervals I am using. I have about another 5 months and 7,000 miles to make this decision.

If I had lots of money to spend, I would *love* to be able to conduct these sorts of tests in controlled laboratory conditions. Unfortunately, I have to use my vehicles in the real world and cannot control all the variables.

I will review and study 2010_FX4's tests for ideas and inspiration to try some new ideas for my series of tests.

I had not realized there were people this interested in this series; if there is interest in this forum (as you have already indicated), I will continue them.

Last edited:
Look at the post count for this thread. Many people read this who never contribute to the posts.

There is much more interest that you think.

And as I have stated, the dedicated approach that you and 2010 FX4 exhibit is rare and desirable.

Please give heavy consideration to continued diligence. You have 1/2 the storyline well developed. Wouldn't you like to read the whole book and see how it ends?????

Thank you for your costs in doing this testing. From the data you provided,I concluded that,no matter which filter you used,you wear numbers,were,essentially,the same. I concluded that the EP is an acceptable oil to use in my car. I prefer synthetic oils,as do you. Thanks,again,for this great series of data.

Hi,
btandchors - Thank you for sharing with us all

Simply and IMHO you (the vehicle) should continue as you are, and I agree that around 7-10k is probably the OCI limit

It is not really about the UOAs though - it is about the engine's condition. On this lubricant I expect the engine will be very clean internally and free from the sometimes costly affects caused by excessive varnish/sludge deposits etc. - some of which are not always obvious - oil ways and the likes. And of course they can effect emission control devices and other engine technologies

Thanks again for sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back