Two different Napa Gold 1358 filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has Wix/Napa Gold gone through some changes recently?

I found two 1358 filters at NAPA, different outer boxes, and seems like different construction inside the filter. What's up? Which one is the most recent design and what's the difference?

Napa_1358.jpg

Napa_1358_2.jpg

I'd say the one marked "The Original" on the box is the older design - all though the box on the right looks like something I've seen around for awhile.

The one on the right looks to not have the bypass valve where you can see it ... therefore it could be the dreaded ADBV/bypass combo valve design. Maybe it's got the standard base end bypass ... can't really tell from the photo.

I just got some 51356 filters from wix and they too have the bypass valve at the far end of the filter, unlike the old configuration that had the bypass at the mounting end, the filter is now made in Mexico. Last filters I will buy from Wix.

Maybe Wix just figured that the base-end bypass just wasn't the best idea for some applications. The Wix 57060 has a dome-end bypass, but its made in the USA.

Some filters already have a small amount of media. They don't need a base-end bypass to take away any more. (I'm lookin at you, Wix 51334)

I ordered a WIX 51358 (equivalent to NAPA 1358) from Amazon. Curious to see which design I'll get in the mail.

Originally Posted By: bigblumer
Maybe Wix just figured that the base-end bypass just wasn't the best idea for some applications.

I agree. I'd forgo the thread end bypass on the small filters that fit my G in order to obtain some more filtering media. For my F-150 with the 51515, there's more than enough media, and Ford prefers the thread end anyhow, so that's fine.

Originally Posted By: dan89
...the filter is now made in Mexico. Last filters I will buy from Wix.

Wix has been making stuff in Mexico for a couple years, at the very least. I have zero problem with that. Any auto part made in the three NAFTA countries (Mexico, U.S., and Canada) can be shipped into another NAFTA country for personal use with no duty.

As for thread end versus dome end, I prefer thread end, all things being equal. However, the 51356, 51365, and 51358 are very small filters.

Just realized a mistake in my post, 51356 is still made in USA (it was a 51215 for my Harley that is now made in Mexico).

I always liked the bypass valve at the base end, but I have to agree with several here that in the small filter cans, it sure makes the actual filter pretty small.

Originally Posted By: dan89
Just realized a mistake in my post, 51356 is still made in USA (it was a 51215 for my Harley that is now made in Mexico).

The only Wix that I saw, personally, that was made in Mexico was a fuel filter for the old Audi. I have a 51356 on my shelf, but I haven't bothered to check the country of origin.

What vehicle is this for? I'm not liking a Napa Gold with a nitrile rather than silicone adbv. No real issue with using nitrile, but when I think NG/Wix I think silicone adbv. IIRC, something similar was discussed here recently regarding Wix doing the similar with soem of the new Honda oil filter applications. Wondering what's going one?

I have a NG 1356 in my stash for Honda, and it has silicone adbv and thread end bypass. The latter of which doesn't really matter to me, other than it's been traditional for Wix/NG.

In some ways, I don't mind, since it's such a small filter, and happens to be specified for my G. I wish they'd put the silicone ADBV in it like they do with the previously specified filter.

^^^^Yeah, I had looked some of the application on the Fram xref and motorcycle came up most prominently, just asking because I didn't see it in your sig. Prehaps explains some of the construction differences in this application.

As for the bypass, the newest(left/last) sure looks to be dome end with the intrusion at the end of the center tube. The other(right) may well be thread end, but I can't see the typical spiral spring around the outlet normally associated with the Wix/NG.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
just asking because I didn't see it in your sig. Prehaps explains some of the construction differences in this application.

It's the Vulcan listed in my sig.

Quote:

The other(right) may well be thread end, but I can't see the typical spiral spring around the outlet normally associated with the Wix/NG.

I don't remember seeing any spring around the outlet either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back