BP gas pump horror!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tommygunn
For the record Husky used to sell midgrade for the price of regular because the ethanol blend was made with regular 87 octane. That stuff was great because it was free gasline antifreeze.

Yes, that was another great incentive that I used for many years. The Mohawks lingered with the 89 at regular price until a couple years ago, then they were all rebranded as Huskys, with the switch in fuels as you describe. There's one Mohawk left in town. I may have to check it out; it's out of the way so I haven't gotten fuel from them in years.

Quote:

Yep, just buy it, trust antiqueshell, if its a few cents more what do you got to lose.

Sounds like those "fuel saver tablets" and other junk
crackmeup2.gif

I didn't say to "trust me" I said trust Consumer Reports tests and the auto manufacturers that recommend Top Tier fuel.

You do know that pump detergents have been tested by the EPA, car manufacturers and independent labs and are PROVEN to reduce carbon deposits.

Also I mentioned that in many markets Top Tier costs either the same or less than other fuels that are not Top Tier, so especially in that case it is a no brainer.

Last edited:
There's a lot of retailers on the Top Tier list. The one I use the most is USA (Tesoro) which are at my local Walmarts. And they are the cheapest in town from .05 to .30 per gal.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Once you've actually taken an engine apart, you'll see that intake valves are usually quite clean, without regard to the fuel used.
To say that fuel from Europe or Japan "burns cleaner" is silly on the face of it.
We drive Japanese and Euro cars, and generally have over the years.
They do just fine on the least costly fuel I can find that meets their octane requirements.
An annual dose of a fuel system cleaner containing PEA is all that any car should require, and almost all cars do just fine without even that.
"Top tier" is no more than a marketing ploy, and it could not exist without the coopoeration of the gasoline marketers.
The automakers could not have established this little sham by themselves.

Exactly, and I might even add that it is not much of a marketing ploy when there are areas of the country where these "Top Tier" fuels (Ohio, for example) are not readily available and there are only two "Top Tier" listed retailers that service the state of Ohio, those being Shell and Exxon/Mobil.
The reality is that there are not many Mobil stations left in the state, as many were incorporated in UDF convenience store locations and were replaced by "UDF branded fuels." Turkey Hill convenience stores have entered the state in the last couple of years. They now no longer are blessed by the "Top Tier" Gods.
In addition Costco branded fuel promotes 5x the EPA mandated detergency, yet is not rated a "Top Tier" fuel. I'm sure that that is because Costco views fuel as a commodity that they provide and feels no need to assume the overhead that such frivolous validation as "Top Tier" requires.
I'm not sure what the real purpose of the designation is. It doesn't seem to be accentuating the availability of gasoline that meets the standard.

Going back to the BP card, my Chase BP Visa Rewards card also made the change in March to the Pump rewards program. No more 5%. My old balances were still listed on the last statement, but no more earning by percentages. I have used the rewards at the pump however, pending some other credit card changes that are being made...

As far as top tier goes, none of my cars are made by manufacturers that are participants in the top tier program. I don't go out of my way to find top tier retailers, and I haven;t had any issues with the detergent levels in my gasoline in my cars. Interesting that some manufacturers don't see the need at this time.

independents do not always get same strength of additive as the company owned, Texaco independents got weaker additive then their company owned counterparts and often got charged more for their gas was in the late 1990's

that could be the case buying from a distributer,it would be up to the dist.

its been 12 years since I hauled fuel, how a no fit is dealt with varies by company, most times a full compartment is retained to next delivery with credit given to station that had the nofit, one company used to retain just what would not fit and we would have to deliver to another station before returning to load the next load. we never hauled product for different brands at same time, separate compartments were for different grades of gas to same station mos times though once in a while we would get a split delivery of same brand to 2 different locations.
I once had a no fit at a bulk plant above ground tank, got to sit for 3+ hours until the retain of approx 300 gallons would fit at the local service station

only trucks I have seen with meters were distributors trucks used for delivery to homes/small businesses with small tanks.
retains of less then full compartment gallons were determined by before and after stick readings at both sites+ when available before &after printouts from tank monitor devices. along with stick reading of truck/trailer compartment most of which had calibrated sticks in the compartments if not there were calibrated charts for truck and trailer in cab of the truck

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
Ok, then why when I click on "Reward detail" it states this?

Rewards Program Details

With your BP Visa® card you earn a 5% rebate on all BP purchases, 2% rebates on eligible Travel & Dining and 1% on all other eligible purchases.

There’s no limit to the amount of rebates you can earn! Redeem for your choice of rebates as soon as your rebate balance reaches only $25. Choose from a BP Gift Card, a check made payable to you or a check donation to The Conservation Fund — a top-rated environmental charity.

Use your BP Visa card to pay for purchases at millions of locations around the world - anywhere you see the Visa® logo and watch your rebates add up fast.

I use my card all the time, I think I would know if I had to change cards.
crazy.gif

And my statement clearly shows my 5%. But hey, if you want to think I'm a liar, so be it.

Enjoy it while you can. As soon as BP installs the hardware/software systems necessary to covert to the new Pump Rewards program in your area, you'll have the same [censored] BP card the rest of have.

We have an advantage. No need to worry about which stations have better gas.

It is all made by the government. All subsidized by the government. All sold at the same price anywhere in the country. All you have to do is find the station that still has some and has a shorter line.

80 octane everywhere except a few that also carry 90 octane.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Quote:

Yep, just buy it, trust antiqueshell, if its a few cents more what do you got to lose.

Sounds like those "fuel saver tablets" and other junk
crackmeup2.gif

I didn't say to "trust me" I said trust Consumer Reports tests and the auto manufacturers that recommend Top Tier fuel.

You do know that pump detergents have been tested by the EPA, car manufacturers and independent labs and are PROVEN to reduce carbon deposits.

Also I mentioned that in many markets Top Tier costs either the same or less than other fuels that are not Top Tier, so especially in that case it is a no brainer.

Yeah, but what do the "big 3" know about testing and building engines? LOL (end sarcasm).
http://www.chevron.com/products/flash/big_three_v4.swf

As far as i know they're is no special button no magic potion the attendant adds mostly all gas is same. what they dump in brand x tank is brand y is the same. Most tanks have 4 tanks or so to carry diesel, 87 , 93 octane sometimes E85 and some may have 89 octane from what i recall i know alot of stations have only 2 or 3 tanks 2 of which 87-92(3) are used to make the 89 mid grade by simply mixing it. the other is usually diesel or e85.. so to think they bring certian fuel loads for certian stores isnt likely they have bulk lb of grade fuel i doubt they have any spec or special loads to any store just marketing whoo haa

I know I am dredging up an old topic, but since BP changed their card, I applied for and recieved the PenFed Cash Rewards card. 5% cash back on all gasoline purchases, no matter what brand. The "Cash back" is applied as a credit on that statement. (Example: I charge $100 worth of gas. I get a $5 credit on the statement where that charge appears).

Application process was pain free and the card was issued quickly (with a generous credit limit too). I understand PenFed can be picky, so your mileage may vary.

The rewards on everything else are low on this card, but if you are a heavy gas user, it is a winner.

Originally Posted By: NismoMax80
Originally Posted By: NismoMax80

Originally Posted By: [email protected]
Justin,

We do have a 76 branded station in Harrisburg, PA. They receive fuel from our Cahokia, IL terminal, which is most generally supplied with product from our Wood River, IL refinery.

Web Consumer Services
1-800-527-5476

From IL to Harrisburg, PA is roughly 788 mi, 14 hours away????
confused.gif

any thoughts on 76 telling me the gas travels 788 hours?

Conoco/Phillips is the refinery in Hartford. CP and Union 76 are all the same gang now. No doubt the refinery puts the fuel into a pipeline, and pumps it east to a terminal. At that terminal, they add whatever package to the fuel when it goes into the tanker, then to a station.

The penfed card is great if you have any affiliation with the military and or civilian personnel. Thats the only way the pentagon federal credit union is going to let you join. I have one but thats because of my parents are in the military and I am able to get a penfed account. Card is not good for everyone.

Not true. You do have an option of making a one time tax deductable donation to one of two charities affiliated with the military to join PenFed. That's what I did.

Only note of caution: If you go that route, you have to make the donation before the application. If you are denied the card, you are out the donation (other than for a good cause).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back