Boeing nears Max thrust definition

Status
Not open for further replies.
By production line I mean the line that build the nose cone in Wichita and not the assembly line in Renton. It is a massive tooling change if you were to change the nose and its contents.

Quote:
No they wouldn't. While I was at Raytheon, we offer them several smaller radar options but they do not want to upgrade.

Then their wind tunnel tests must have shown no real drag reduction advantages over a smaller or different nose cone design. You have to take into account the shape's crossectional area as well as the total blending effects.

Quote:
...if it reduced drag and still accomodated the weather radar, they would.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
No they wouldn't. While I was at Raytheon, we offer them several smaller radar options but they do not want to upgrade.

Then their wind tunnel tests must have shown no real drag reduction advantages over a smaller or different nose cone design. You have to take into account the shape's crossectional area as well as the total blending effects.

Quote:
...if it reduced drag and still accomodated the weather radar, they would.

They don't want to even consider it much less doing any kind of test. The new radar cost a little more upfront but it is lighter, more reliable, less maintenance, etc. but they still said no.

Quote:
They don't want to even consider it much less doing any kind of test. The new radar cost a little more upfront but it is lighter, more reliable, less maintenance, etc. but they still said no.

I can believe that. One of the many considerations is interfacing a new piece of avionics to the legacy avionics.

Personally, I would have opted for a lower weight Radar unit IF it could be interfaced, at minimal cost, to the current avionics suite. They may have decided it wasn't worth the extra System's enigineering costs to interface it.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
I just wish Boeing would redesign the nose to look more modern like the 787.

Believe me, if it reduced drag and still accomodated the weather radar, they would.

Doesn't Southworst strong-arm them into keeping as much the same as the 737-300 as possible, including the nose?

Good news at the airshow so far....http://www.komonews.com/news/boeing/Boeing-lands-another-big-deal-at-Farnborough-Airshow-161916815.html

Well, Boeing is destined to get more order than Airbus due to one specific reason, delivery slot. If you order the NEO from Airbus now you would not get it until after 2020. Boeing can deliver the MAX sooner, around 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back