New Mustang v6. Need oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JCM35
Just picked up a 2013 mustang v6. Looking to see what's the oil of choice here for synthetics. ................... Have a good weekend.

2013 Mustang in 2012 is this a typo ?

Originally Posted By: scudpilot
sissix, you will get many opinions on whether you should dump the FF now or go by the OLM. The only reason I dump mine early on the FF(factory fill) is that every single oil analysis I've seen for a new engine it has higher metal content due to the engine breaking in. Will this increase the wear on the engine long term? I don't know. Probably not. My wife has a 2011 MKX with your motor and I run MC 5W20 and an FL500S and change it every 7500 miles and would definately go 10,000 miles, but since I rotate the tires at 7500 I just change the oil too.
It always has seemed to me with Ford engines, when they start to burn a little oil during a oil change cycle, it is probably time to change it out. At 7500 miles my wifes engine still has burned no oil so I do believe Ford's claim of 10,000/1yr.
Some will argue that you need synthetic oil to go 10,000 mile change intervals, but I think this 3.7 can with MC semi-syn. especially with your high highway miles!
Pete

I may change it at 7500, I'm almost there now. OLM at 33%. The motorcraft is just very easy to get and priced right. I've used it in all my ford's with no problem. My wife has a '10 Flex and I was using the motorcraft but recently switched to PP. Her job is 2 miles away from the house with no traffic and I change it at 5k. I just figured the full synthetic would be better for the short trips.

One good thing is both cars use the same filter so I order those in bulk.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
5w20 = faster oil flow to the top end.. Oil runs cooler because it circulates faster, 5w20 oils are usually more stable, 5w20 is thinner so it has less drag on the engine and gives the engine slightly more power and gas mileage sometimes.It also makes a difference on the dino i saw this first hand a few years ago at one of the ce classes for engine rebuilders.

thin is in when it comes to todays oils..

+1

My younger brother and his friend put 15w40 for the first time in the 50cc dirt bike and the engine got noticeably hotter during normal operation. I told them to drain it, and put the 5w30 back in. Since then, they told me the engine was running at normal temps again.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: DemoFly

Do you hate warranties or something?

What does Ford recommend for the same car shipped to Australia?

What is the availability and cost of 5W20 in Australia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back