Code p2096, o2 sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Recently had hesitation on highway under load, i was thinking of ingnition coil pack, but i got the code p 2096, o2 error. Is this what cause slight miss and jerking? Any of you have same trouble?

Originally Posted By: wolf_06
Hi,

Recently had hesitation on highway under load, i was thinking of ingnition coil pack, but i got the code p 2096, o2 error. Is this what cause slight miss and jerking? Any of you have same trouble?
btw i chang the #1 o2 sensor bank 1 two weeks ago, so its the one after the cat.

I thought that was a lean code. The second O2 sensor has it's own code.
So you replaced the first O2 for what reason? This code? Poor running?
You may have a fuel pump or filter problem .

I had replace the first one because of a code, and the second one as well. It was running poor, hesitation. But now i got two new sensors, the ngk ones, the car runs like new, moreower on the highway when passing cars. No hesitation, gone.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
The second O2 has nothing to do with how the car runs.
Nothing.
can you explain more, i changed the two o2sensor and its fine now.

The second O2 has nothing to do with how the car runs.
Nothing.
can you explain more, i changed the two o2sensor and its fine now.

The second O2 sensor in line (ex. Bank 1 sensor 2 or (in a V configuration engine) bank 2 sensor 2) is used to monitor the catalyst efficiency. The first o2 sensor (ex. Bank 1 sensor 1 or (in a V configuration engine) bank 2 sensor 1) monitors the amount of oxygen in the engine's exhaust and reports it back to the computer.

Right.
The first O2 is to measure and report back to the computer to change the mixture as you drive.
The second [after the cat] only reports a difference from the first, to know the cat is working.

Its not there for nothing, yes the first o2 sensor can mess up the engine performance, but the second one too, not as bad, but i does. On long trips, i can see hesitation when passing. With a new o2, runs like a brand new car.

Its not there for nothing, yes the first o2 sensor can mess up the engine performance, but the second one too, not as bad, but i does. On long trips, i can see hesitation when passing. With a new o2, runs like a brand new car.

NO. Wrong. Tell us exactly how the second O2 can influence the computer.

NO. Wrong. Tell us exactly how the second O2 can influence the computer.
well, its not wrong, sorry. So yes it did fix hesitation at highway speed. So how do you explain that the code was saying "bank 1 #2 o2 error, lean gas"??????? If the gas was too lean, not rich enough, jerking at highway speed, code comming from that sensor, what makes you think that this sensor is useless inn engine performance? Give us an explanation for this because i changed the second sensor and it runs perfect since then. I would like to hear what makes you think the #2 o2 sensor dont influence engine performance.

mechtech2 is right. The second sensor monitors c/c performance. Short of some kind of electrical short, the second sensor won't have any influence on the engine.

+1 The rear o2 is just a monitor that compares measurements with the front o2 (the front o2 is also the A/F sensor so its dual role). If the difference between the two is small, off goes the light.

And how do I know the rear o2 sensor does nothing other than a monitor? I plugged mine off with an anti-fouler so it cant sense anything to keep the CEL off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back