To all of my fellow 6.7L Cummins Operators

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it amusing that people are PAYING to have this stuff removed from their truck, so that others can PAY to have it re-installed on theirs for testing or resale.

Reminds me of exhaust shops paying good money for cats cut off of cars in mall parking lots by desperate people, so they can sell new cats and earn money in scrap for the old ones.

You don't think this happens? Is anyone here old enough to remember the scams at Disneyland/Disneyworld and other amusement parks where they'd drive around in tow trucks with the big rubber "NOMAR" bumpers and bang into every fuel injected Ford they saw in the hopes they could set off the inertia switch, killing the fuel pump, so that they'd increase the towing business and be able to sell people $600 fuel pumps which in reality were some guy reaching into the trunk and pushing a button?

Am I alone here?

Hello?

Echo?

440 magnum, i barely see any smoke, just a light puff, on full throttle with the 70hp tow tune on my buddies 2010. those common rails burn very clean. Installed the XRT Pro in my other freinds 2011 Cummins, again very little smoke, i set his on the 40 hp tune.

The dpf/egr play havoc with the Cummins. It's nothing but bad news for the engine & mileage. I paid $1600 for the deletes and Smarty Jr. installed. If I would have done it for myself it would have been about $1100...but no time. I still have the parts if I need to put them back in.

The advantage is in the mpg, OCI & life of the engine. I'll probably keep the truck about 350,000 miles. If I do, the savings in diesel alone over that period, due to the deletes would be around $18,000 at $4/gallon. A long block alone would be about $5000 plus the cost of installation (again, I have no time so it'd have to be someone else). If you subtract the cost of the deletes it's a savings of ~$21k. This doesn't include the cost of the DPF as it will ultimately need replacing or the turbo due to all the above. The numbers could be played around with but no matter what you do it's a no brainer in cost savings.

There are not a few who are already rebuilding the engine due to problems inherent in a bad system. This is why even the Dodge mechanics are recommending and doing the deletes in shop.

In other states there are problems with doing the deletes but not in GA.

Originally Posted By: GBL
In other states there are problems with doing the deletes but not in GA.

What warranty does Dodge offer in the States on the Cummins? Up here, one gets a lifetime powertrain warranty on Dodge diesels.

The warranty is 7 year/100,000 here.

I can't believe they'd offer a lifetime.

They sure wouldn't offer it on the new EGR/DPF models.

Originally Posted By: GBL
I can't believe they'd offer a lifetime.

They sure wouldn't offer it on the new EGR/DPF models.

They do, and it's regularly advertised up here for the brand new Dodge Cummins trucks, EGR/DPF or not. They've been offering that warranty for over a year.

Yep, I know. I didn't think they'd be doing that with the new emissions controls. And besides, it's not like they have any trouble selling their diesel trucks up here.

For a while, they were offering the Cummins for free (as in selling it at the same price as the base engine) along with the lifetime warranty.

That's a FINE warranty-my '06 Ram only had a 5/100K warranty on the engine (alone)!
08.gif

There are plenty of very high mileage non-emission deleted trucks that have been very reliable. If you use the truck to tow and run it like a truck you will be very happy with it. Regens are fewer and components life is extened in trucks that are worked. The problems arise when people use them in stop and go traffice and do too much idling.

There may be many who haven't had a problem with the DPF but there are a whole lot of us that have. I had to take mine in three times to get it fixed. The Dodge mechanics would just shake their heads each time and suggest I get it taken off. Dodge/Cummins kept coming up with reflashes to help handle the problem. Each one would regenerate more often than the last and use more fuel to do so. Even then there's not a long expected lifetime for the DPF and they aren't cheap. There's a class action suit on this issue against Dodge. It's not a little problem and it's ruining the reputation and longevity of the engine.

Yes, the harder the truck is worked the better the DPF's work but almost all of us are not pulling heavy on the highway 100% of the time and therein lies the problem.

There's no visible difference between the deletes and non deletes and I had near the same amount of soot on the body near the exhaust pipe as I did before. Soot particulates are one of those things that drop out of the atmosphere pretty quick so if you're out in the country there's no problem with it environmentally. Now if I lived in LA (like I used to) it'd be no question and the DPF would be essential. In truth, diesels are not really a great thing to have in a city environment especially with the efficiency of the gas motors these days which just keep getting better and better.

I tried to find something on the lifetime warranty in Canada but couldn't. No doubt I'm blind to it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back