New here, questions help??

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, i drive a 1984 BMW 528i.

I have used a myriad of oil additives and cleaners..but not all on the Bimmer.

First off, have a look at this link, i am Ace E28. edit #1

In the past i have used,
Super Roo Engine flush (claims restores power) it is a Cleaner.
QMI Teflon treatment
Lucas oil addities
Nulon PTFE Engine and Gear box additives.

And found 0% diffrence after use...minus Psychosymatic from the prices...PLACEBO

I want to know whether or not engine/oil cleaners make any diffrence.

I have been having this debate with a bloke from this forum..read the link: edit #2

He sez it restores Compression, where as i argue the simple changing of oil does the same due to the old oil loosing its propertys..ie: viscosity and Hydrodymanic film sheared....thanks to bob i now know what it is!!

I beleive that there are postives to oil cleaners in older engines with a bad service life, but i dont expect them to restore power or compression..only de-crease wear as Oil galleys are cleaned of sludge hence more flow..witch i dont even know if that is correct.

9ive read most a Kerosene..i gave a bottle to my dad and he said it smelt like Kero)

The guy on the forum sez it is a cleaner with brand name OWS..but the only thing i can come up with is a Wurth cleaner with a similar name, which is used on Transport ships.

Im getting hammered arguing with them....i may be wrong im just using Skeptical anaylisis as to the claims that are made.

For example:

new oil (that reccomened by manafacture) is all that is needed if regularly serviced will replace old oil that has lot it properties there for allowing for better tolrence of clearances..and restoring compression like wise....rather than the pre-cleaner.

Also i came up with a test:

1: warm car and test compression
2: Warm car drain old oil and replace and do compression
3: add oil cleaner and drain car add ew ol and do compression test.

4: compare 3 tests.

I had the intenetion of doing such, but have yet not.

Look i dont care if im wrong..if i am all the better i will use the stuff all the time...but if not...well..Hmmmm

Any way great site..ive been looking for a oil additive site De-bunker for a while..about time.

Really good site...i love the experiments and ingnuiety (spelling)

Cheers.

Hope that all made sense.
smile.gif

Forum Rules ,PLEASE READ! no links to other forums,mark

[ August 23, 2003, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back