GM 5.3 V8 normal oil use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an "07" Chevy Silverado with a 5.3 V8 with about 50,000 miles on the clock I have run PP 5-30 for most of it's life. The truck runs great but consumes about 1.5 to 2 quarts of oil within my oil change time of 7,000 miles and has done so since about 20,000 miles and I was wondering is this normal for the 5.3? Is 1.5 to 2 quarts between changes excessive?

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
I have an "07" Chevy Silverado with a 5.3 V8 with about 50,000 miles on the clock I have run PP 5-30 for most of it's life. The truck runs great but consumes about 1.5 to 2 quarts of oil within my oil change time of 7,000 miles and has done so since about 20,000 miles and I was wondering is this normal for the 5.3? Is 1.5 to 2 quarts between changes excessive?

GM will tell you that amount is not excessive. Seems as if the 5.3 motors with AFM are prone to oil usage. GM is aware of the problem, and has thrown a few "fixes" at it. However, they have to determine that your oil use is excessive-per their definition. Lot's of reading on this topic all across the net. My '11 isn't using, but if it starts sucking the oil, I'll be off to blue oval land.

Last edited:
Interesting, that seems a bit much to me.
I just bought my 2011 with 20K on it and will be monitoring any usage. Not sure if/why the AFM adds to the consumption though.

Google search 5.3 AFM oil consumption. It is a common problem, I understand why you are asking why the 5.3 AFM has this problem and Chrysler's 5.7 MDS engines are not. But Chrysler engines are not having this problem on the scale GM is.

Simple answer, yes it is. I have heard of this and it is disturbingly common.

1.5 to 2 quarts over 7,000 miles? That's very little consumption. GM won't look at it unless you're using a quart every 1,000 miles. You're using a quart every 3,000 or 4,000 miles. Not bad.

A co-worker had a 2009 Chevrolet 1500 with the 5.3L and his ran through oil pretty quick. I think he used a quart every 2,000 miles or so. It was getting worse by the time he turned 80,000 miles, and just recently traded it for a new F-150 with the EcoBooost. So far, the Ford hasn't used any oil, but he's watching it close.

If I had an 07 5.3 using oil I would drop the synthetic oil and do 3/4k oci with a good conventional oil, 50k and that's all it's using, it's not doing to bad, I have seen some use that much oil every 3000/4000 miles.

Yes this is a excessive amount of oil to burn, this problem is well known to GM. GM has released a few TSB's addressing this problem but the "fix" is not always 100% The oil burning is caused by frozen oil rings on the pistons, they claim it is caused by excessive oil spray in the crankcase which puts to much oil on the cylinder walls below the piston. If you search for TSB's on the net you should find it or have your repair shop find it in their information system.

I had a 2007 Silverado with the 5.3L( w/ AFM )and I never used a drop over 5K intervals running Royal Purple 5W30. As others have said however it seems to be a common issue with the 5.3L's w/ AFM. GM will say normal but I agree with the others it is not. I would have raised holy caine if mine had done that.

Last edited:
"• Some of the aluminum engines with
AFM have experienced oil consumption,
too. GM says that the oil spray that is discharged
from the AFM pressure relief
valve in the crankcase may result in carbon
deposits in the ring grooves that stick the
rings and cause oil consumption. They
have modified the rocker cover to change
the calibration for the PCV for some
applications, but the real fix is the installation
of a shield (p/n 12639759) over the
AFM relief valve to deflect the oil down
into the pan instead of allowing it to hit
the crank that throws it up on the cylinder
walls."

From this article:

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Content/Site302/Articles/03_01_2012/986163348GMGENI_00000051561.pdf

I wouldn't hesitate to treat the engine with Auto-Rx to clean up the rings and pistons.

Often times when 1qt/3000 miles consumption is mentioned here on this site there are several post stating that it is not anything excessive. Here we have .75 to 1 quart every 3500 miles so in following with the general consensus that I have read dozens of times previosuly on this site, I dont not personally feel that is an excessive amount of consumption. I would however wish it was better and would start to look for some options.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

I had a 2007 Silverado with the 5.3L( w/ AFM )and I never used a drop over 5K intervals running Royal Purple 5W30. As others have said however it seems to be a common issue with the 5.3L's w/ AFM. GM will say normal but I agree with the others it is not. I would have raised holy caine if mine had done that.

I believe you did not have this problem because from reading your comments, I believe you like to properly break a engine in and periodically properly let the engine stretch its legs . This is my theory on this topic.

It is really true that too easy of a break in can cause oil consumption. Many owners baby their cars when new and have these issues.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
"• I wouldn't hesitate to treat the engine with Auto-Rx to clean up the rings and pistons.

Would Auto-RX or Kreen would be appropriate PM for AFM engines that do not currently have oil consumption issues?

I have a 2011 Silverado 5.3 with the AFM. My most recent change before I deployed was with Pennz Plat....engine seemed a bit louder with the Plat but I haven't noticed any consumption. I'll be going back to Factory fill next change...but in any event I'll be turning off the AFM...when it drops into 4 cyl it is noticeable

Goose

My 2003 GMC Sierra 5.3 w/185,000 miles still burns no oil in 7,500 mile OCI. The level is still at the same place I filled it to -- and that's mostly towing a 3,000 Lb. Boat!!
shocked.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back