Used ARX in my P/S system. Interesting result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a moderate power steering leak so I decided to use some of my extra ARX and see what happens.

Well..

My power steering immediately went very "soft". The wheel turns as if the front end is off the ground. Well, thats not an exact description but the point is, there is much less resistance in the steering. This happened within 20 seconds of running the car so I don't think anything got cleaned that fast. What I am wondering is this. Does anyone know what happened here? Increased viscosity/lubricity? (yes, I know ARX isn't supposed to affect viscosity)

I'm really not complaining. I haven't decided if I like it or not but I will say that most people would probably love it.

After searching I see someone had a similar experience here on Bob's board.

I would also like to point out that my steering is not jerky at all. It's smoother than it has ever been. So I am not seeing the ill effect the guy in the other thread saw.

I'm just curious about the tech behind this change.

I don't know as my reply will directly respond to your observations. I have used both ARX and LUBE CONTROL in three power steering systems:

One, a 1971 Saginaw box and pump in a 1971 Chrysler. (LC; with 135k on unit)

Two, a 1979 Ford Fairmont rack & pinion (same as Mustang). (LC and ARX; with 64k on unit)

Three, a 2001 Jeep Cherokee, stock, with 55k on unit. (ARX, two ozs for 1k)

The first vehicle leaked severely. Repeated fills with fresh fluid and LC brought the leak down to almost nil. (So bad at first that even a thirty mile drive could nearly empty unit).

Second, classic "morning sickness" symptoms of groaning and slight wheel jerk. Completely gone.

Third -- and the reason I posted -- is that even a "slight" overfill of fluid as measured stone cold renders the steering "feel" lighter. Fluid darkened slightly -- using MOPAR P/S fluid as recommended.

Much lighter in steering feel.

Removing fluid to correct also corrects changes in steering feel.

(At this third change of fluid went to REDLINE P/S fluid along with external cooler and MAGNEFINE in-line filter. Flushes are now extra easy with low-mount filter.)

[ August 28, 2003, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: TheTanSedan ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back