Nexen CP672 vs. Michelin Primacy MXV4

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is time for tires on my 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS. Tire size 205/65-16, H-rated. There are not many choices out there in this size, and I am not a fan of +0 sizing (such as changing to 215/60-16). Therefore, I am only looking at 205/65-16 H-rated replacements.

OEM tires, still on the car but worn after 30,200 miles, are Kumho Solus KH25. They are noisy and unimpressive overall. No Kumho replacements this time.

I have narrowed my choices down to the Michelin Primacy MXV4 and the Nexen CP672. The Michelins in my tire size are made in Romania(?!) and the Nexens are made in Korea. The CP672 is supposedly a revised and improved version of the CP671 which is OEM on the KIA Optima (platform-mate to my Sonata.) There are virtually no reviews of the CP672 anywhere. Nexen CP672

The Michelins will cost me $800 installed (mount/balance/4-wheel alignment), the Nexens $570 (mount/balance/4-wheel alignment). I am having a really hard time justifying a $230 premium for Romanian-made Michelin tires on a daily driver that I may trade in the next 12 months.

Anyone with Nexen CP672 experience, or other Nexen experience? I just want a non-directional, symmetric, relatively quiet tire with a smooth ride. Good for getting home in a couple of inches of snow if necessary. Nothing fancy. The Michelin would probably give me that, but I am thinking I can get the same from the Nexen? Nexens really seem to be growing in popularity...

My wife had a set installed on her Hyundai Tucson and had no complaints with them.

I too would have a hard time spending the extra $230.00 for tires on a vehicle that I may drive another year.

$800 is crazy expensive for the Michelin Primacy MXV4. Maybe it's because of the odd size?

We have them on our Saturn VUE. Size 235/60R17. They cost me $605 after the $70 rebate. That's installed with lifetime flat repairs, rotations, and balancing. Ours say Made in USA.

They're a really good tire and I like them a lot. They're on the short list for when my Nissan (size 215/60R16) needs new tires which will probably be within 10K miles. I have a $600 quote from the same shop as where we got the ones for the Saturn, and that's before any rebates that might be in effect.

I know nothing about the first tire, but I highly recommend the Primacy MXV4. Have them on my Accord the V rated form and have no complaints. A quiet good handling tire and the treadwear seems fine.

Not cheap though, but they are huge improvement over the Conti DWS which flat spotted so badly I had to return them after a month, for the MXV4's. If you can, try to wait for the Michelin $70 rebate. They come around often, and may be on now for all I know.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Romanian? Yikes!

What about the mxm4? That's what I'd buy.

Not available in 205/65-16, unfortunately.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
they are huge improvement over the Conti DWS which flat spotted so badly I had to return them after a month for the MXV4's.

Wow, really!? I was wanting a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS for my Nissan but they don't come in a 215/60R16. Based on your experience, I guess it's good they're not a choice.

My current short list is: Michelin Primacy MXV4, Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, and Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring. Those have been the top-rated options in my size on TireRack.com. Another set of Continental ContiProContact 540 A A is also on the list since I've been happy with the ones that came on the car new.

Recently the Firestone Precision Touring and Hankook Optimo H727 (both in the standard-touring category) have moved up high in the rankings, but they're not something I'm considering at the moment.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
$800 is crazy expensive for the Michelin Primacy MXV4. Maybe it's because of the odd size?

We have them on our Saturn VUE. Size 235/60R17. They cost me $605 after the $70 rebate. That's installed with lifetime flat repairs, rotations, and balancing. Ours say Made in USA.

They're a really good tire and I like them a lot. They're on the short list for when my Nissan (size 215/60R16) needs new tires which will probably be within 10K miles. I have a $600 quote from the same shop as where we got the ones for the Saturn, and that's before any rebates that might be in effect.

The 235/60-17 are made in either the US or Canada. My size is Romanian. The Romanian thing is just weird, isn't it? Usually Michelins are US, Canada, France, or Japan.

The 215/60-16 size is made in Canada.

Your Michelin dealer has great pricing. The Primacy's from Tire Rack would cost me $600, then another $80 to have installed. Plus the $100 for a 4-wheel alignment. The $70 rebate offer ended last week.

Nexen tires are not noted for their quality, based upon what I've read here and there.
Michelin tires are of high quality, at least in my experience over the years, made in Romania or not.
Still, if you only plan on having the car for another year or so, I'm sure the Nexens would be fine.
If you sell the car yourself, it might be easier to sell on a set of Michelins.
If you trade the car in, you won't get any premium from the dealer.

The Primacy MXV4 is a good tire, Romania or not. I would not get too hung up on the country of origin when production is controlled by such a well-reputable company.

Another tire to consider is the Continental EcoPlus ProContact, if you are willing to drop to a T-rated tire as opposed to a H-rated tire. You will likely see better fuel economy with this tire than the Michelin.

Cheaper tires, you are trading soon enough. The truth is the Nexen's may be perfectly fine tires. Michelin makes some good tires but the question is the improvement going to be noticed?

Did you look on Discount Tires Direct to see what tire fit your car? They're usually reasonably priced and have free shipping. The shipping alone save a lot over Tire Rack.

Newer Mexens seems to wear well, starting to see quite a few around here (many on minivans) Neighbor has those Nexens, and the seem to be wearing well after 17k on them so far.

Like everyone says, if it's trade bait, just toss the Nexens on there....

My '04 Nissan Altima came stock with 205-65-16's and I found lots of choices in "T" & "H" rated tires. I actually like the "T" rated Pirelli P4's that I chose.

Maybe it's the "H" rated tires that there are only a few of. But, many "T" will work just fine and the P4's have plenty of performance atributes with very good handling.

I know that the OP isn't into "0" sizing but, 225-60-16 are a perfect replacement and closer in size to the 205-65's than are the 215-60's and width won't be an issue!

205-65-16...26.50" close
225-60-16...26.60" close
215-60-16...26.15" different

Last edited:
they are huge improvement over the Conti DWS which flat spotted so badly I had to return them after a month for the MXV4's.

Wow, really!? I was wanting a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS for my Nissan but they don't come in a 215/60R16. Based on your experience, I guess it's good they're not a choice.

Yep, that was my experience. I purchased them in January, winter time. In the mornings the car would vibrate very noticeably. After some driving and warm up, it would get better, but the amount and length of the vibration was more than I could accept. The size is a lower profile (215/50-17) than your's is so perhaps that was a factor, but if you read some reviews, apparently others have had a similar experience with the DWS.

Yep, that was my experience. I purchased them in January, winter time. In the mornings the car would vibrate very noticeably. After some driving and warm up, it would get better, but the amount and length of the vibration was more than I could accept. The size is a lower profile (215/50-17) than your's is so perhaps that was a factor, but if you read some reviews, apparently others have had a similar experience with the DWS.

We have a set of the DWS's on the Fit in 205/50-16. They definitely don't flat-spot. I've driven the Fit after it's been sitting for a few days, and the tires just roll. Maybe it's the size difference?

Regarding the OP, I'd get the cheaper tires since the car may be traded. For a trade, if it's rubber, round, and has legal tread depth, it's good enough.

We just put a set of 4 Primacy MXV4's on one of our cars a few months ago. They have been excellent so far, very quiet and good traction. They are also made in Romania.

$450 shipped from Tire Rack.

I must be the only one on here, but I got the Primacy MXV4 on my Rondo and I am not happy with them. They are very rough riding compared to the OEM tires. And they started dry rotting in the outside tread blocks after only 2 years and about 20K miles. I'm hoping to get 40K out of them, but after that the rubber will have probably deteriorated too much to continue using.

The OEM tires were Kumho KH16. I wish I would have gotten another set, it would have cost me a lot less money and in my application it was a better tire.

The only good thing I can say about the Michelin is that they balance very well.

I am the OP. Just as an update, I went with the Michelin Primacy MXV4's. They are sitting in my garage and will be installed this coming Friday.

The $70 Michelin rebate came back so I went for them. I will probably put at least another 20,000 miles on this car so the Michelins were a better choice and only $25 more per tire than the Nexens.

Looking forward to getting the horrible Kumho Solus KH25's off the car!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back