Compare and contrast these oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 0W40
Mobil 1 10W40HM

Which is the "better" oil per se,as in add pack,base oil,film strength,etc. Which oil can probably take more abuse and give the best hot weather protection/severe service driving (lots of short trips and sustained high speeds) in a car that specs a 10W30/10W40 oil?

M1 0W-40 is undoubtedly made from higher quality base oil stocks; after all it is used off the shelf as a race oil.
It is slightly lighter with it's 3.8cP HTHSV vs 3.9cP for the low VI HM 10W-40 but that's splitting hairs.

IMO M1 0W-40 it's a no-brainer superior choice.

One of the WM`s here has it for $6 a quart. I`m thinking about buying an oil change`s worth of it and trying it out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
M1 0W-40 is undoubtedly made from higher quality base oil stocks; after all it is used off the shelf as a race oil.
It is slightly lighter with it's 3.8cP HTHSV vs 3.9cP for the low VI HM 10W-40 but that's splitting hairs.

IMO M1 0W-40 it's a no-brainer superior choice.

Even M1 5-30 off the shelf is used by some in both drag racing and the American LaMans series.

Although the M1 15W50 runs so insanely smooth in my car,I`m almost afraid to try a different oil,haha. The "if it aint broke,don`t fix it" adage is resonating in my head :^P

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
tig1 I agree with you but our friend from Texas is a thick oil guy. If we can get him to at least try M1 0W-40; well that's progress.

Yeah it is progress. But if this was my car, 5W20 Red Line is what I would use. I know the OP's reaction is this
crazy2.gif

Yes RL 5W-20 (HTHSV 3.3cP, VI 145) would work but I'd much prefer RL 0W-30 (HTHSV 3.2cP, VI 185). It's a bit lighter but psychologically it sounds heavier being a 30wt oil (an easier sell).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back