Lucas ATF additives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inspired by one of ETCG's recent videos, I found a distinct ATF additive offered by Lucas I hadn't seen before.

Of course, most have a general consensus on their oil additive, but how about their ATF additives?

I've seen two: One is their 'transmission fix' (which seems to be a thickener of sorts, ETCG used it in a recent vid) and the other is their ATF Conditioner.

Do either of these products have merit aside from 'gets you home' or 'keeps it running for a while'? The conditioner makes some interesting claims. It markets itself as being something along the lines of Lubegard's product.

Lucas Transmission Fix "Stop Slip"
Lucas ATF Conditioner

Anyone putting this kinda stuff in a transmission is either servicing it anyhow (and good fluid goes a long way) or trying to bandaid a gunshot wound (in which case nobody is upset if it doesn't work anyhow because the transmission is limping).

Reality: do a regular fluid replacement and save your money. Its like engine oil. Good oil is all you need.

The lucas conditioner I don't have any experience with...the stop slip I do. My 96 Grand Prix began to slip very slightly going into second gear. It had around 150,000 miles on it I believe. I went ahead and tried the Lucas product in it, and to my surprise, the slip went almost completely away. It was very minor to begin with, but the Lucas took care of it. The car just crossed 212,000 miles, and at this point, I haven't felt it slip into second in a long time.

I've had good luck in a Honda Accord transmission as well...the person was reporting slipping in all gears/random banging into gear. He wasn't interested in a rebuild, just wanted to try and get by. Took care of his problem. Last I knew, it had nearly another 100,000 miles on it since and it was still working properly. Just added another bottle of lucas at each service.

Two Chevy Impalas, both poor shift feel. Very sloppy. One of which had developed a bad shudder from the torque convert on lock up. That car had a considerable amount of clutch material in the pan. Both received the stop slip, and both improved dramatically. The torque converter shudder is still there on the one, though it has been reduced. She understands that it's only a matter of time til it lets go. The rest of the shifts feel normal again.

I can't say it'll work for everyone and everything, but it does seem to do a good job if problems develop. I should also mention that only the Impala with the shudder had not received proper maintenance.

Seafoam TransTune is another good candidate to use if the transmission is giving trouble. The Seafoam product actually removed the rest of the slip shift on the 96 Grand Prix.

Originally Posted By: JRed
I'd rather run Lubegard products instead of Lucas junk

+1

Amuse yourself with the Lucas gizmo at the parts counter, but forget their products.

If you use a top shelf ATF like Redline or Amsoil, no need for any additive.

I would use TransX additive first.Its a cleaner mainly for sticky valves and such.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I would use TransX additive first.Its a cleaner mainly for sticky valves and such.

Ive heard lots of good on this, folks with 30 year old MB ATs exhibiting issues often try this.

lucas is half total [censored], half mediocre products that are worse than average.

Lubeguard trans additive has a substantial amount of respect around here.
I would not use the Lucas, but strongly consider the Lubeguard.
Not in a newer tranny that is OK, though!

^I feel the same way.

I honestly have felt it's not worth using Lucas products after finding out several of their most popular aren't all they are cracked up to be(like the Oil Stabilizer 'additive' not containing any additives of note, yet it's more like a thick gear oil, so just use a thicker oil and don't dilute the add pack!; or their UCL which is an overpriced one though decent and not all that great at long-term cleansing at all).

Lucas products are great for the initial 'feel change', though that has been the same argument regarding Lubegard long-term.

It's possible just a servicing(new fluid AND filter in such apps) is all a vehicle may need to have 'symptom cure'.

This is one of the best things about BITOG. I was able to find out about Lubegard here and it 'actually' doesn't mask problems by simply increasing pressure through thickening the fluid.

I don't know about the ATF conditioner, it seems to be marketed more like Lubegard's protectant, IMO.

However, I think most agree fixing a problem is always better than masking 'feel' based on thicker viscosity alone. Yes, some worn apps do need this but I'd rather avoid this if it meant not over-pressurizing a non 'worn out' unit that simply needing improved fluid and easy flowing circulation.

What I can't understand is how Lucas stop slip claims to lower temps. I'm sure it 'could' if operation was failing due to pressure issues, however if a transmission doesn't need thicker how does their additive 'not' increase oil temp? Cold flow performance, etc? Perhaps it's just fine for HD operation, still as others have pointed out some ATFs out there exist which definitely are better than an over-priced bandaid.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: NHGUY

Ive heard lots of good on this, folks with 30 year old MB ATs exhibiting issues often try this.

Very nice, always good to have another additive to look up.

I know Lucas has improved some vehicle symptoms, but the science behind it and the 'credit' or immediate 'praise' to the additive alone is a lazy approach and fails to grasp or determine the true problem all along.

Speaking of TransX, I have also been curious to see others that could use cleansing get up on Lubegard's transmission flush. Personally? I'd use that over TransTune, since I'd rather not use harsh chemicals in the transmission. Is TransX along these lines?

Again, another example of crediting the additives, which all may do 'something' but in what manner and what is the 'end game'? IMO, it's "always" the better option of using something that addresses the problem and not the symptom or at least finding out the preferred method.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^I feel the same way.

What I can't understand is how Lucas stop slip claims to lower temps. I'm sure it 'could' if operation was failing due to pressure issues, however if a transmission doesn't need thicker how does their additive 'not' increase oil temp? Cold flow performance, etc? Perhaps it's just fine for HD operation, still as others have pointed out some ATFs out there exist which definitely are better than an over-priced bandaid.

Because if it reduces slipage in a transmission that is slipping it will reduce temp.

I blew out a front pump seal in my 1969 Mustang's transmission not long after I added TransX. It may have been coincidental, the transmission was working fine before I added it. I was just young and read the bottle then decided to try it.

One post here almost sounds like a Lucas Ad.... - from a member with only 2 posts - hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - I wonder???????

I dont want to purposely throw myself under the bus but I did use the Lucas ATF "fix in a bottle" stuff on a high mileage car that was lazy whe you went from reverse back to drive and had a slight leak from what I think was the front pump seal. It did seem to help and the small leak seemed to slow to almost nothing. But to be fair, I did also do a filter and pan gasket at that time and I got the Lucas additive for free since they sponser a race team a friend works for and they have cases of all the Lucas products. So maybe it did or didnt help the shifting but I am fairly sure it helped with the leak. Just my .02 and experience with it.

May aswell put sawdust in the transmission because all this stuff is the kinda "fixes" you get from greasy used car salesmen.

Originally Posted By: AVB
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^I feel the same way.

Because if it reduces slipage in a transmission that is slipping it will reduce temp.

What's funny is, I realized this claim could technically be made afterward if the slipping(friction) is generating heat of course this does not mean it truly translates to 'coolest' temperature during every day use. It's simply 'not as hot', and the thicker fluid is a band aid while for the price you 'could' have something give the best of both worlds if you are going for additives.

Of course, use the stop slip if the transmission is on it's last leg, OTOH?
21.gif

My personal experience with the two is that Lubeguard seems to do a better job long term and Lucas does help but more on a short term get you through a couple moths. My brothers Jeep Cherokee was not shifting into OD and I changed out his fluid and added some Royel Purple ATF which I am sure also helped and a half bottle of Lubeguard Red bottle. So far Jeep has been staying strong. My friends car was having trouble going into gear and would stick in 2nd gear alot. I threw some Lucas down that fill hole and it worked for a while and then needed some more but its also still chugging along with constant refills of Lucas. I do prefer Lubeguard though as it doesnt seem as harsh a product as the Lucas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back