Redline S-1 Fuel System Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally found it at my local Pep Boys.
Bought all they had (4-bottles) so I'll finally give it a try since I've read a lot positive things about it.
Guess the 8 bottles of Techron I bought last week (another auto store)will get time on the garage shelf for awhile.

Figures I changed the oil earlier this morning - so will use it for a tank just prior to next oil change.

I thought I had seen S-1 somewhere a year or 2 ago, now I know where to get it. Last couple times I went to Pep Boys, I thought maybe they stopped selling it since I didn't find it. Either they were out or I just missed finding it. Hitting up my other local auto stores, they don't carry it.

Might save a small shot in a bottle for the motorcycle and lawn mower.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Is the main diff between the 2 PEA content, and upper cyl lube?

My understanding (maybe I'm wrong) is the S-1 has more PEA.
UCL - I don't about that.

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
they are normally stocked up at my walmart. Actually 3 walmarts around me.

Are they any better then chevron?

The Wally's by me didn't have it, but I didn't check the other 2 Wally's.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Redline has PEA and a Upper cylinder lube...

But the way I read it - it's preferred over Techron, right?
Good to know the UCL properties - thanks.

I don't see the Techron Concentrate Plus at my walmarts, just the Techron Pro Gard. Techron concentrate plus is listed as a complete fuel system cleaner like the Si-1, the Pro Gard is listed a fuel injector cleaner. Excluding PEA, what is the difference between a complete fuel system cleaner and a fuel injector cleaner?

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Is the main diff between the 2 PEA content, and upper cyl lube?

My understanding (maybe I'm wrong) is the S-1 has more PEA.
UCL - I don't about that.

Somebody spent the time to create a "PEA sheet". The 2 I checked were accurate. His guess? Well, it is what it is.
eaqmue.jpg

Quote:
30 - 50% PolyEther Amine
` 1-10% Isooctanol - TLV- None established CAS # 104-76-7
5-20% Aliphatic Naphtha - TWA - 100 ppm - CAS # 64742-88-7

I don't know why he "guessed" 37. If i were guessing i would just say 40 wouldn't you?
But wait then it would rival a personal favorite maybe?

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Redline has PEA and a Upper cylinder lube...

But the way I read it - it's preferred over Techron, right?
Good to know the UCL properties - thanks.

My rear end prefers Redline over Techron. Just made the car seem smoother.

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
they are normally stocked up at my walmart. Actually 3 walmarts around me.

Are they any better then chevron?

I never saw it at any wal mart, how much does it cost?

I have never seen the Redline S-1 on a shelf for sale.
It is supposed to be one of the best, and I believe it.
A 10-20 percent difference is not a deal killer for any of the good cleaners out there.

why i switched to red line long ago, everytime i went to fill up and added bg44k the filler neck never got clean!!! until i started using red line si-1 it is spotless!!i used it ever since.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
How much at Pepboy?

I paid $9.99 per bottle (not on sale) today. Each is 15 ounces. Seems like a big bottle & it says "Concentrated".

Now I see (have glasses on) where it says it's a UCL too. Missed that earlier.

I dumped a bottle in the kid's Camry (hehe) just a bit ago - he was headed to fill the tank before heading to a friends.

Myself, I'll have to wait for the week of the next oil change. Just changed oil earlier this morning and had ran a bottle of Techron this last week. I didn't notice any difference this last time around with Techron, but seem to on a prior oil change, hence the reason for using it again. Maybe the system remained fairly clean from prior use. I mainly use Chevron gas, and 95% mileage is highway/freeway.

Last edited:
OK, so that is the same price as Amazon. You can't go wrong with 3M Max Strength or Techron FSC or Redline SI1 or Regane HM. I just stock up with whichever happens to be on sale.

Yikes, this stuff has really gone up in price. I was lucky to buy 22 bottles of it when AAP had it on clearance for $2 I think regular price back then was $5.99

Sometimes PepBoys send a coupon/flyer in the mail for 20% merchandise (excluding tires, lubes, filters, electronics, special order parts). Next time I get one I can mail it to a person who wants it cause I never shop at PepBoys.

Well even @ $9.99/bottle I wasn't about to walk out without it when I have the opportunity to give this stuff a try.
Maybe I'll rotate between the S-1 and Techron since I have both now.
I guess better to have several bottles on hand than nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back