Meyle Platinum Rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered a pair of Beck/Arnley rotors from fcpimport and instead, a box of Meyle Platinum rotors showed up. Apparently these were shipped from IMC and through some research, I learned that this likely happened because IMC only stocks Meyle rotors for this car.

These Meyle rotors are Chinesium rotors made by a German company. :p I am not familiar with this brand, and these rotors are supposed to go on a co-worker's car, so I would rather not go with an unknown. Does anyone have experience with this brand?

Aside from raising heck to fcp for shipping me something different than what I ordered, I was thinking about either getting the Centric 125 series high-carbon rotors or a set of Genuine Honda rotors. Any other recs for high-quality, high-carbon composition based plain rotors?

An autoshop teacher I know put a high quality rotor on one front side and a $30 rotor on the other side. They braked the same at the start and 1 year latter they were both still working fine and BOTH rusted looking.

What application is it and front or rear? Raybestos Advanced Technology and ACDelco Durastop are good quality rotors. They are made in china now like about every other rotor, but are probably the best for the price. That's what I'd go with if I wanted the best quality and price without going OEM. Wagner are decent I think too.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
What application is it and front or rear? Raybestos Advanced Technology and ACDelco Durastop are good quality rotors. They are made in china now like about every other rotor, but are probably the best for the price. That's what I'd go with if I wanted the best quality and price without going OEM. Wagner are decent I think too.

2008 Acura TSX, front rotors. Painted hats are a requirement. I would really prefer non Chinese rotors.

The Raybestos AT are painted and the Durastop usually are. I prefer non-chinese rotors too, but I don't think any of the non-OE are. I've heard Centrics are US machined china blanks but I don't think that is always the case. The AT and Durastop are probably the highest quality. Any chance you could turn the original rotors?

The Raybestos AT are painted and the Durastop usually are. I prefer non-chinese rotors too, but I don't think any of the non-OE are. I've heard Centrics are US machined china blanks but I don't think that is always the case. The AT and Durastop are probably the highest quality. Any chance you could turn the original rotors?

AFAIK the Beck/Arnley and Genuine Honda rotors are the only ones made outside of China. Centric 120 series are all made in China, and I believe their 125 series high carbon rotors are as well.

I could turn the old rotors but it is not cost effective nor efficient to do so.

Have you googled "meyle rotors"?

That brand is pretty well known on VW forums. I know I've read some threads on VW Vortex about Meyle rotors.

All the Meyle parts I've ordered were Chinese.
frown.gif
Most of the parts have been good quality, except for a set of axle bushings I bought. I will avoid Meyle parts in the future. When I ordered them, I thought I wouldn't be getting Chinese parts.

They're an aftermarket only company, I believe. I don't think they supply any OE parts.
http://www.meyle.com/EN/Wulf-Gaertner-Autoparts/Company.html

Quote:
Wulf Gaertner Autoparts AG manufactures and markets automotive spare parts under its MEYLE brand. Since its foundation in 1958, Wulf Gaertner Autoparts has been an owner-operated, unlisted family business on the aftermarket.

Last edited:
If you turned the original rotors the brakes would have to be apart a little longer, but it could be very cost effective if some place can turn them in the $15-20 region. A new set of high quality AT rotors are probably around $100 and the OE are probably good bit more. If the rotors are in good shape it's not completely necessary to replace or turn them.

I just installed a set of Meyle Platinum made-in-China rotors on my Mercedes. They look fine, work fine, and have no shimmy at all. I'm happy with them. They're even coated.

Lately I've been hearing reports from others that auto parts made in China can have no discernible differences in quality than the best made parts. I believe China is beginning to shed it's reputation for bad quality.

Critic, you can get Mountain rotors (An OE supplier to Honda) for 90.00 per in the LA area NAPA stores... They will have the same fit and finish as OE because they are OE.

Take these numbers (there are two different - not sure the difference) to the counter...

094 2944 & 094 2944B

If you turned the original rotors the brakes would have to be apart a little longer, but it could be very cost effective if some place can turn them in the $15-20 region. A new set of high quality AT rotors are probably around $100 and the OE are probably good bit more. If the rotors are in good shape it's not completely necessary to replace or turn them.

Good point. O'Reilly charges $15/rotor to turn them, but I really do not trust them to do the job properly.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I just installed a set of Meyle Platinum made-in-China rotors on my Mercedes. They look fine, work fine, and have no shimmy at all. I'm happy with them. They're even coated.

Lately I've been hearing reports from others that auto parts made in China can have no discernible differences in quality than the best made parts. I believe China is beginning to shed it's reputation for bad quality.

Thanks. I guess I will use them if all else fails. You are probably correct in that Chinese mfg quality has improved significantly over the years; it is the only logical conclusion.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Critic, you can get Mountain rotors (An OE supplier to Honda) for 90.00 per in the LA area NAPA stores... They will have the same fit and finish as OE because they are OE.

Take these numbers (there are two different - not sure the difference) to the counter...

094 2944 & 094 2944B

I had forgotten about the Altrom Imports line from NAPA, thanks. The dealer who runs Hondapartscheap is actually somewhat close to me, so I can actually get the Genuine Honda rotors for $85/ea with tax should I go that route, and those have painted hats. I will need to call Fast Undercar on Thurs to see how the pricing of the 120 and 125 series compare for this application.

I dont think any rotors made recently are made with material that doesnt come from china.

Maybe so, but iron is iron.

It's the machining and finishing that mean the most, and just a couple of minutes checking before installation can save everyone a ton of time and money.

Quote:

OT Imagine that. I believe many here had made a similar point on a recent thread regarding the topic of the quality of Chinese made wheel bearings. There was some agreement that the name behind the part more likely dictated the quality of the part. Seems also to apply to made for parts stores, like AAP rotors made in China based on a recent thread. But, a traditional German auto parts company manufacturing parts in China...heresy. j/k Thanks for the comments.

As for the topic, other than the fact that a B/A rotors were ordered, based on the above authoritative anecdotal experience I have no issue using them. But, that's just me.

Iron is iron, but cast consistence can be important and that's what I'd be concern about more than machine and finish. They all get machined in the car by the pads anyways, and they all get rusted eventually in the vanes.

But if you ordered something and it came with something else, send it back and ask them to refund you. At best your receipt is different than what they send you and when you need warranty (unlikely for a rotor) it will be a challenge proofing what you buy is what you get.

How much did you pay for them? If they are super good deal you might as well just use it. I'd imagine Beck Arnley also uses Chinese sourced parts as every manufacturer has plant in China and they too need OEM parts that's up to spec.

Not all rotors rust in the vanes. Some are solid!

Seriously, I have a set of R1 rotors on the car that are completely anodized black everywhere that is not a swept area.

Beautiful pieces, but expensive. These would be a great choice if I chose to live in the frozen tundra.

[quote/]Good point. O'Reilly charges $15/rotor to turn them, but I really do not trust them to do the job properly.[quote/]

And you shouldn't. I had them machine one of my rotors for the Audi, and they gave me back a record. When I went back days later to complain about the chirping when the brakes are not being applied, they looked at me like I had two heads when I asked them why they didn't put a non-directional finish on the friction surface. Ruined a $95 Zimmerman rotor, but they were more than happy to price out a China rotor for me to buy.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Not all rotors rust in the vanes. Some are solid!

Maybe I'm just inexperienced. I've never seen a front rotor that is solid and has no vanes.

Well if you have a rotor turned, you need a competent place to have it done which isn't always easy to find. Some NAPAs have a machine shop service and do some work for auto shops, so they might be a decent place. I wouldn't trust a place like O'reilly to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back