Engine Pics - 20k OCI miles on Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not surprised in that at all. I have my faith in Amsoil, I think it's the best product money can buy from my somewhat limited experience. If I wanted to do longer OCI's I would look no further than signature series.

yeah but my 30 year old MBs look like that without Amsoil. IMO diesels look/stay cleaner inside for a variety of reasons.

Doesnt mean that using a syn in an engine like that is in any way a bad idea...

Look at the photo on bottom of page 2. Does that oil look like it has been in diesel service for 10K miles as claimed??

It might be a great oil - he never mentioned which oil - but it is tough to see through the independent dealer smoke screen.

THose pics seem...to good to be true...like being stranded on a desert island with a supermodel...a supermodel with no varnish!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
yeah but my 30 year old MBs look like that without Amsoil. IMO diesels look/stay cleaner inside for a variety of reasons.

True.

I'd also think the engines that are easy on oil (like my ecotecs) would look the same way....

That pic on the second page is definately fresh oil, the first pics looked like the inside of any other diesel I have ever seen opened up.

Last edited:
He changed filters every 5-6K so in a 20K OCI several qts of oil were added. A lot of extra expence. My friend does 15-16K with M1 5-30EP on his Ford Windstar 3.0 with 160K on the engine. No in between filter changes are done and no oil has ever been added between changes. And his is a gas engine. Results: His engine is very clean and runs great. Now this guy is using an excellant oil so I just think he is wasting resources with all the filter changes. Also diesels are prone to stay clean as well.

Last edited:
The Cummins ISX 565HP engine in the one truck at work looked almost that clean with 900,000+ kms on it using Castrol Hyperon 15w40 semi-synthetic. Nothing really special to brag about with only 20,000 miles on it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

+1.

This type of engine would look just as clean with any type of good oil that has effective detergent additives, there is nothing special about Amsoil. The filter change interval seems a bit short, but I don't know what that decision was based on.

I don't pay any attention to the Amsoil hype because their tests are not realistic in engine wear terms and they fail to compare with some of the better oil types available. You could getter better results in most of their tests by using a can of Moly or Zinc compound, but if you ran a real engine on pure additives it would cause some real problems.

The tests they use were probably chosen because their oil would produce better results, if they were really interested in proving to intelligent users that they made the best oil, rather than had the best marketing team, they would run their oil in a big fleet of diesel trucks and taxis and then show the UOA's for the different oils used.

When realistic oil tests have been done in the distant past it showed that there was not much of a difference in engine wear factors between all the brands and that viscosity, oil filter quality and change intervals were more important. Most of those results were binned as a result, as they were sponsored tests and the oil company was not interested in publishing results that said their oil was no better than the others.

Genuine full synthetics like the Liqui Moly Synthoil I use, or the Amsoil products are slightly better if you do a lot of stop start driving in winter, but that is about it and for many users a good quality major brand dino or part synthetic will be just as good, unless you are pushing the boundaries of the oil change interval limits and that is a dodgy thing to do if you suffer from unexpected fuel or coolant contamination with any type of oil.

One final point is if you are trying to compare UOA results to figure out the best oil to use, it helps to check what type of use the engine is subject to and if it was during summer or winter etc. There is not much point comparing the results for an engine in a long distance truck during the summer with those from a delivery truck during the winter. I am currently trying to figure out if Diesel Synthoil 5/40 is better than Synthoil High Tech 5/40, but I will wait until the winter period to do a UOA otherwise the results would be meaningless.

Last edited:
I've requested a kit from Blackstone so I can send in a sample of my oil from my '08 Dodge Ram that now has 155,000 miles on it. The truck has been on Amsoil and 20,000 to 22,000 mile OCI's since about 50,000 miles. We will see then if Amsoil is hype or the real deal, I beleive it is the best product out there.
I change my Wix filter mid point and top off the oil.

Originally Posted By: hitmanharleyk
I've requested a kit from Blackstone so I can send in a sample of my oil from my '08 Dodge Ram that now has 155,000 miles on it. The truck has been on Amsoil and 20,000 to 22,000 mile OCI's since about 50,000 miles. We will see then if Amsoil is hype or the real deal, I beleive it is the best product out there.
I change my Wix filter mid point and top off the oil.

What are you going to compare the results to, if you do a UOA then the only way to see if it is the best oil is to switch to another brand of oil that might be as good or better and then compare the two. Perhaps Mobil 1, Royal Purple, LM Synthoil Diesel or Castrol Edge might be good for a comparison.
Trying to compare with another similar truck only works if a lot of the variables are the same, like trip lenghth, driving style, Average temperature, dust in the air and time at idle etc.

Last edited:
The main thing i read from the Cummins post was the smart delete of some emissions system. I think deleting the EGR system puts alot less stress on engine oil.

Sorry , but I 'm throwing a flag , calling [censored] !
Do not think Amspoil was used or miles are true !

Originally Posted By: skellyman

The same photos are posted on another site, the person claims to be using Rotella syn 5w40

The same photos are posted on another site, the person claims to be using Rotella syn 5w40

If that's true that's pretty funny and sad at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back