Costco's new high detergent gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Around Cincinnati, Toledo, Cleveland, and Columbus. I frequent the Columbus store, off of 71 next to the Polaris mall.

I didn't even know there was Costco at Polaris. It's not that far but I almost never go to Polaris. I might check it out, but they need more store locations.

its really matter much for saving 5-8cent over other top tier gas station ( shell , chevron ... ). or its because 1 stop shop ?

I know some some one run cross town for saving 8 cent a gallon.

Costco in my area is Aloha gas. I know for a fact Aloha purchase old gas from Chevron at a discount when Chevron has an over supply stock which goes to where Costco. For years Costco gas had very poor performance in some batches of gas they sold.

Years back when the price of crude fluctuated wildly, Costco had a set contract to purchase so many thousands of gallons of gas per day. They wanted fresh made gas from Chevron at market crude price. The savings was not funny either like 50 cent a gallon at one point. Gas lines where full tilt almost the whole day. Fresh fuel was like night and day from the old, great performance like the gas was spiked. Best gas in town. When the price of crude stabilized they no longer purchased fresh made gas.

I've spoken to someone that works for the Costco gas department and knows his auto stuff if he buys Costco gas. He says no, buys only Chevron gas. He may know something...different regions may differ but Costco usually is 10 cents cheaper from the local market here.

What is "Aloha gas"? I was on the big island earlier this year and they were stacked 20 deep in line to buy gas at Costco..

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
What is "Aloha gas"? I was on the big island earlier this year and they were stacked 20 deep in line to buy gas at Costco..

http://www.alohagas.com/about.html

Aloha gas provides Costco's gas on Oahu is it the same on the Big Island?

Costco was the first to sell fresh made gas from the Chevron refinery through Aloha and it was a hit with the motorist price savings or not the performance was very noticeable. But also this was when Costco didn't have the top tier additive.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
Originally Posted By: Indydriver

http://www.alohagas.com/about.html

Aloha gas provides Costco's gas on Oahu is it the same on the Big Island?

Costco was the first to sell fresh made gas from the Chevron refinery through Aloha and it was a hit with the motorist price savings AND the performance was very noticeable. But also this was when Costco didn't have the top tier additive.

Tested the new Costco gas with 2 tank full. MPG increase a bit with a new oil change.

Will do 2 fill ups with Chevron gas to see any difference.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Costco doesn't accept cash for gasoline, correct?

How do you guys pay for the gasoline?

lol.gif

Here's another great thing about Costco gas.

Here in Indiana, some stations had dipped below $3.00/GL. The average was around $3.15 and Costco got down to $3.08. After the $7 rise in crude on Friday, nearly every gas station in town went up to $3.45. With Costco's promise not to mark up anything they sell more than 15%, they went up to $3.18. This is not an isolated instance. They always give a greater cushion on the way back up.

So while they may not be the absolute cheapest gas in the market, they ALWAYS provide an important cushion when prices are fluctuating wildly.

BTW, if you want a crystal ball on where gas prices are heading In the short term, turn on CNBC and watch for the RBoB Gas price on the top ticker. The retail price is normally $.65-.75 above this price which is $2.75 today. That spread had been squeezed down to about 30 cents so it was easy to see this jump coming and at least get alll the vehicles filled up. You beat a few of these big price increases several times per year with three or four vehicles and it really adds up.

104 in Indy today. Yikes! We had no 100 degree days in 20 years and now 7 in the last year.

Last edited:
Better yet, you can see the price of RBOB directly on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange site, here:

http://www.cmegroup.com/market-data/delayed-quotes/energy.html

I take the Globex price as the one to watch. If prices at the pump are around +50c here that is decent, below that is even better but suggests Speedway will soon jack them up 30 cents more. I only pay attention because otherwise my wife will reliably tell me the tank is empty the very day the price at the pump goes up 30 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back