Hobby metal lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a lathe this past weekend that was gifted to me from an estate.
I backed it into my shop and got it unloaded. I need to sandblast and paint the stand, clean and oil the machine and level it all up.

It runs as I plugged it in and messed around with it a bit. I need to figure out were to put it and find a storage system for the tooling. Then work on finding a mill.

4_lathe_1_1.jpg

4_lathe_3_1.jpg

4_lathe_2_1.jpg

OMG. That is a long bed, 12 inch Craftsman lathe that my father had and I used for years while I was at home. I seem to remember that the head ran in roller bearings and would easily turn to within 0.001". We also had a Bridgeport mill, metal cutting bandsaw and several other pieces in our basement shop. Lots of good memories here for me. Ed Hayes

Originally Posted By: Trav
Atlas?

I think it was made by atlas for sears. Somebody more knowledgeable can answer for sure.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
That's your shop? Jealous.

Yea it is mine. I wish it was just a little bigger.

Yes, it was made by Atlas for Sears. Atlas had several 12 inch lathes and the Craftman version was the top of the line with a roller bearing headstock. Ours did not have the quick change unit but, we added one later. Ed

"Hobby" does not apply to your post.

Nice piece.

As is tradition to this site, OCI on the vehicle behind the lathe is the most important info.........

Last edited:
Eddie was there a mill/drill attachment with these units?

4_lathe_4_1.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yucca
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
That's your shop? Jealous.

Yea it is mine. I wish it was just a little bigger.

Jerk.

j/k. That would be huge for me - a dream.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch

As is tradition to this site, OCI on the vehicle behind the lathe is the most important info.........

My wifes car. She needs front brake pads. She thinks parking it in my shop is going to get a fast turn-around time.

I have the OCI dialed in at 8000 mile intervals

Yes, its made by Atlas in Kalamazoo Mi, I have one I completely rebuilt years ago, had the ways scrapped and everything. However mine is the older model that one must change the gears for the various feeds, no quick change.

Not sure about parts but there used to be a company in Goshen, Indiana that had acquired Atlas Tool years and still had parts, can't remember the name of the company tho.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Remembered the company that may, and I do mean may, have parts

http://www.clausing-industrial.com/index.asp

I see all kinds of stuff on E-Bay also.

Thanks for the info. The tooling that was included with the lathe had a few new in the box parts.

I'm looking for a mill now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back