Michelin LTX M/S 2 = Good Choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because I said what I did all of a sudden everyone is saying how much better the M+S 2 is vs the original. All I have read, anywhere( including this site )is I loved the originals and these are just as good. That is it. Never seen anyone claim the M+S 2 is vastly superior to the original M+S as people are suddenly saying now. I must have missed all of those posts?
21.gif

I was unaware that there was such a large discrepency between the original M+S and the new M+S 2 in UTQG. I don't know everything and never claimed to. I was simply going on what I have read from people and I have not come across anyone that has claimed the dramatically improved mileage out of the M+S 2's which you would expect with that big jump in UTQG. I haven't really looked at the UTQG of the M+S 2's because they are just too expensive even with a 720 AA. So in that regard I spoke without knowing. It was a good faith mistake.

In the OP's tire size the price difference between the original Destination LE and the LTX M+S 2's is quite significant. Both have a $70 rebate going however which helps out. The LE's will run anywhere from $110-$125 a tire( pre-rebate )depending on where purchased. The LTX M+S 2 will run anywhere from $150-$200 a tire( pre-rebate )depending on where purchased. To me that is just too large of a difference to overlook.

I can get 60K out of the original LE's so to justify the extra for the M+S 2's I would need to see at least 80-100K. To me that is unrealistic for any regular light truck/suv class tire to deliver that kind of mileage. Without it I don't see any benefit to the Michelin tires based on cost.

And for the record I did state I had not used the LTX M+S 2's. Again, I was basing my view on the tire's mileage ability off things said by those who had used them.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Bravo. Everyone who bashes them has not used them! Try a set and THEN tell us how you feel.

OMG! I was not bashing them at all. Bashing is when you say something is no good. I never said the Michelin LTX M+S or M+S 2 tires were no good. I said I thought they are over priced and that I can get similar performance from another brand for less( which is what makes them over priced ). I have always listed Michlin as a top brand when discussing tires. NO BASHING went on.

I know you have issues with me and love to call me out and start trouble but this is lame even for you. And for the record at least I stated in my post that I hadn't used the M+S 2's ( have used the original M+S )unlike so many people on this site who bash this or that and have never used it. I was completely honest and said right upfront I hadn't actually run the M+S 2's and that I was basing my comments off what I have read from others about them( which is one of the reasons I wouldn't spend the extra $$ for them - haven't seen anything different said about the M+S 2 than I have seen about the originals ).

Please tell me where I bash the tires in my original post? Where?

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
If the price isn't a factor for you they are a very good tire. To me the Michelin LTX M+S series tires are just too expensive as in my personal experience the Firestone Destination LE tires match or beat the performance and mileage all for a LOT less money( $50-$75 a tire less in sizes I use ).

I have not personally run the LTX M+S 2's but I ran the original LTX M+S tires and find the LE's to be equal to or better than them in all aspects. Most people seem to say the M+S 2 is pretty much the same as the original with just a little different tread( i.e. same approx wear and performance overall )so I feel comfortable comparing them even not using them.

IMO the Firestone Destination LE is a much better value than the LTX M+S tires due to cost. I saw equal wear between them but I do not discredit others who say the LTX tires wear better. Maybe for them they do. For me they did not and I actually prefer the winter handling of the LE's to the LTX M+S's( originals anyway ).

At least check them out before buying( they have a $70 rebate right now on 4 ). Firestone recently came out with an LE2 with a whole new tread pattern. No idea on them as they are too new. The original LE's are a great tire however in my experience and are my go to tire now( when available in size needed )for light trucks, suv's, and cuv's.

You won't go wrong with the Michelin's either. You will just pay a lot more money for them vs the LE's.

Last edited:
Fer gawds sake man, take a breath.

I was replying to Hokiefyd, and meant you no harm!

Yup and you said Bravo to a post he made to me and said those who don't use them bash them and such. Clearly you were talking about me.

I just wanted it clear I was not bashing them.

I think the Michelin manufacturing quality trumps firestone. I'm a diehard bridgestone/firestone guy. The most recent set of destination LE's I had installed went back 3 times new, and they finally replaced all 4 because two of them were experiencing carcass shift. The firestone shop was excellent. However, the new 4 still had some shake in the wheel at freeway speeds but not enough to make we want to go back a 4th time. The LTX2s that came off hadn't shaken at all, but were old and I'd installed a puncture patch on the outside of the treadblock that made me nervous. I've never had a michelin tire that wouldn't balance.

BUT, in my experience the compound seems to harden up before the tread wears out. Traction is still good but the noise increases. Have other people experienced that?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: meep

BUT, in my experience the compound seems to harden up before the tread wears out. Traction is still good but the noise increases. Have other people experienced that?

Firestone D-LE or Michelin LTX M+S 2? If the LE's the answer is no, I have not seen that. Never saw that on the original LTX M+S sets I had either. Can't speak to the M+S 2's?

Last edited:
Having used both tires, the Michelins are worth every penny - very likely you'll actually get the advertised mileage and then some. Up front they are expensive, but per mile are tough to beat.

Can't say the same about another tire being so vigorously defended. I also use a lot of Bridgestone/Firestone tires and recommend them, but the LE is not on that list.

Yup and you said Bravo to a post he made to me and said those who don't use them bash them and such. Clearly you were talking about me.

That's an amazing conclusion you got there. You obviously know more about what I'm thinking than I do!

Bravo to you too!

Calling the ltx similar to the ltx ms/2 is ignorant because the compound is very different.

Surprise, one of the most important parts of the tire you cant visually tell the difference..

performance wise I guess they are both in the same tire category at least.. light truck highway all season

Originally Posted By: Rand
Calling the ltx similar to the ltx ms/2 is ignorant because the compound is very different.

Surprise, one of the most important parts of the tire you cant visually tell the difference..

performance wise I guess they are both in the same tire category at least.. light truck highway all season

Shoot me. What a horrible sin I commited. Some of you guys are a riot.

That's an amazing conclusion you got there. You obviously know more about what I'm thinking than I do!

Bravo to you too!

No but based on your history of antagonistic posts to me it is pretty clear what you meant. I think any rational person would come to the conclusion you were praising the other poster for calling me out.

Whatever man. Deny it if you want but we both know what went down.

One of us knows enough for both.

Give it a rest for goodness sake.

You need to get out more.

And you need to find someone else to always try and start a fight with.

The problem is you imagine I care!

The trick is to get over it. The only fight here is your problem. If you imagine that you somehow intimidate me or change my participation here you are quite ignorant, because it's not like that at all. I really could care less.

People that maintain grudges for long periods are unhealthy, both to themselves and to others.

Try using the "ignore" button. I will too!

Last edited:
other poster for calling me out.

Hemi, I hope you didn't take my post as one against you. I tried to make it clear that others were wrong if they said that the new version of the tire is essentially the same as the old version. You said that you merely read what others were saying. The point of my post was to present the differences in the two tires. I apologize if you took offense to what I wrote.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Hemi, I hope you didn't take my post as one against you. I tried to make it clear that others were wrong if they said that the new version of the tire is essentially the same as the old version. You said that you merely read what others were saying. The point of my post was to present the differences in the two tires. I apologize if you took offense to what I wrote.

I wouldnt apologize some people just are never wrong.
and always read your posts in the worst possible light.

Let the "riot" begin
43.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Thanks. I appreciate that. I did in fact take it wrong. So I apologize to you. I understand now that you explained it.

No harm no foul.
11.gif

The problem is you imagine I care!

The trick is to get over it. The only fight here is your problem. If you imagine that you somehow intimidate me or change my participation here you are quite ignorant, because it's not like that at all. I really could care less.

People that maintain grudges for long periods are unhealthy, both to themselves and to others.

Try using the "ignore" button. I will too!

Fine. We can end it anytime you wish. I am not intimidated by you in the least either however nor do I care what you think about me( think is not post and publicly state it - THAT I care about ). In that regard we agree on something.
grin.gif
I haven't blocked you yet just because I do value your input at times on things and I read much of what you post even though I try not to respond directly to you unless provoked.

This is all going on because I disagreed with you on oil weight in MDS HEMI engines. We never had an issue before that. Completley ridiculous thing IMO. You have been following me around being antagonistic as you have here in all ranges of topics BECAUSE of our disagreement on oil weight in the 5.7L w/ MDS. It is stupid and it needs to end.

You go your way and I will mine. If we don't address comments to or about each other there should be no problems and no need to place anyone on the ignore list right?

Last edited:
I will address any comment anywhere anytime I like. Neither you nor anyone else will have any control over what I say.

There is no 'disagreement' on anything between us to my knowledge. I do not follow you anywhere, this is a discussion forum and we talk a lot here. If you're in a thread you don't own it. You may want to look at my post count, I post in a lot of discussions! I am not trying to provoke you, period!

You get to do whatever you like. Just get over it for goodness sake. I'm embarrassed for you now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back