2012 Honda Accord 2.4li - Which Oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hounds

You also asked whether an additional HondaCare warranty is worth the expense. Obviously, it's worth the additional cost if you have a significant component failure beyond the original warranty period. Only you can decide whether you can shoulder the expense should that occur. However, you don't have to decide this now. A unique aspect of HondaCare warranties is that you can wait and purchase additional warranty coverage at the end of your manufacturer's warranty. You also don't have to buy it from your selling dealer. HondaCare warranties are available at low cost via several reliable online sources.

It was my understanding that within the first 6 months or 6k miles you can purchase the original Honda care warranty.

I have seen some of the warranty offerings online, but none of them come close to the dealer cost of $850 that was offered to me. That's why I am interested in it.

This is my first Honda so I am on the fence. For my Ford's, I wouldn't think twice about it.

Originally Posted By: fastsvo
I have seen some of the warranty offerings online, but none of them come close to the dealer cost of $850 that was offered to me. That's why I am interested in it.

Is that the cost they gave you, or the price you negotiated to? They offered me Honda Care on my CR-V when I bought it certified pre-owned, at about $1,200. I negotiated down and paid about $500 for it. The price they pay for it is much less than the price they quote you.

Thank you for the welcome Brian. Who knows, perhaps we will run into each other one day. With that said, this really is such a neat website!

I would like to clarify an item for my previous post. For my second oil change, I drove 8195 miles, or that is 15,268 minus 7073 miles (first oil change on factory fill) on the odometer. The MM just began to read 15%, so I probably could have pushed to just below 10,000 miles for this particular change.

I am approaching about 1800 miles for this current change with the M1 0W-20 oil. FWIW, I wiped a sample from the dipstick to a paper towel. The oil is a light tan color.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Is that the cost they gave you, or the price you negotiated to? They offered me Honda Care on my CR-V when I bought it certified pre-owned, at about $1,200. I negotiated down and paid about $500 for it. The price they pay for it is much less than the price they quote you.

Yes, this was their negotiated price. I have read that their cost is at $799 dollar, but I cannot be 100% certain.

Originally Posted By: Hounds

You also asked whether an additional HondaCare warranty is worth the expense. Obviously, it's worth the additional cost if you have a significant component failure beyond the original warranty period. Only you can decide whether you can shoulder the expense should that occur. However, you don't have to decide this now. A unique aspect of HondaCare warranties is that you can wait and purchase additional warranty coverage at the end of your manufacturer's warranty. You also don't have to buy it from your selling dealer. HondaCare warranties are available at low cost via several reliable online sources.

It was my understanding that within the first 6 months or 6k miles you can purchase the original Honda care warranty.

This is my first Honda so I am on the fence. For my Ford's, I wouldn't think twice about it.

We really are jumping the thread here. Apologies.

To ans yr q, as I said above, a unique aspect of HondaCare warranties is that you can wait and purchase additional warranty coverage at the end of your manufacturer's warranty. That's what makes purchasing a HondaCare warranty later unique: you don't need the additional coverage during the warranty period.

In any event, it's simply a matter of determining the cost and whether you want to purchase additional coverage that you may or may not require three/five years hence.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
I bought an '11 CR-V in December which utilizes the same engine as yours. It has just over 6000 miles now with 30% on the MM. So it looks like ~7500 will be my magic number of my first oil change.

Until this purchase, I had little interest in 0W-20 grade oil since I had no use for it. Post purchase, I learned everything I could. Here are a couple key points I learned:

1. Honda is the only manufacturer in which I read with my own eyes that claims to use a special break-in oil. It says so three times in my owner's manual (OM).

2. The OM and the dealer both are vehement about leaving the factory fill (FF)in until at least 15% on the MM.

3. In '11, Honda re-designed the oil control rings and pistons which now have moly-impregnated skirts.

4. A member here did a UOA on his FF to find that the oil appeared to be run-of-the-mill 20 grade oil with lots of moly.

5. Search for member "CATERHAM". He is the resident BITOG 0W-20 expert. You will learn alot from his posts.

6. Of course the dealer is going to say that their oil is best. But we know better. The following is CATERHAM's list (in order) of the perferred 20 grade oils for use in your new vehicle:

-Sustina 0W-20
-Toyota
-OEM Mazda, Mitsubishi, Cdn Honda/Acura and Subaru 0W-20s made by Idemitsu (SM, GF-4 only)
-ENEOS
-RP
- American Honda 0W-20 made by COP (full syn)
- American Honda 0W-20 " " (syn' blend)
-PP/QSUD 0W-20
-Texas Tea 0W-20
-Mobil Special 0W-20
-M1 AFE 0W-20
-Valvoline 0W-20
-Subaru 0W-20 (SN, GF-5)
-Beck/Arnley 0W-20 (SN, GF-5)
-Castrol 0W-20 (SN, GF-5)
-Other 0W-20s

7. I bought a case of Toyota's oil; a very high VI, very high moly concentrated oil which myself and a few others feel will make for a great initial first fill to replace the FF. Just make sure it is the SM variety.

Don't get paranoid or obsessed. Change your FF when the MM says to (15% or less), use one of the above listed oils, and your engine will outlast your interest in the car.

Also, make sure you change your oil drain plug crush washer each change. I always use OEM filters. My dealer charged me eight dollars. After I'm done with the case of Toyota oil, I will use Eneos.

Here's the dilemma I have. My 2011 CRV purchased 10/2011 is almost 9 months old and my wife drives it very little carting two small children around town. The MM has been sitting at 90% for over a month with only around 1000 miles on the dial. The FF looks a bit brownish to me.

I have a case of Honda full syn (Idemitsu) waiting. Should I dump the FF soon or wait for the MM to go to 15%? How long can the original FF stay in the crankcase on a low mileage vehicle? I don't forsee taking an extra long driving trip across the country to push the odo past the 7500 mark anytime soon.

My brother takes his 2008 Accord Coupe 2.4L to Valvoline quicklube using conventional 5w20 every 8-10k miles and he has 92k miles on his car with no issues. The motor is clean looking through the fill cap.

Originally Posted By: cp3
Does the manual have a time limit or just the MM?

For example my GMs say follow OLM but change if it doesn't indicate a change in 1 year.

Owner's manual states to follow the MM, but seems to state that the oil should be changed 12 months after the MM has been reset. Does that apply to the factory fill (Honda's special break-in oil)?

I agree with buster and I don't think I would change my oil if the OLM had not gone off in a year. 2 maybe a year and half or a UOA, I think todays oils can handle that.

Of course, for warranty concerns you may want to get clarification on the 12 months and follow that.

As for FF, if I'm not mistaken there has been a bunch said about Honda wanting the factory fill left in. Seems to me 25% or full change was mentioned. Then ya I'd stay with 0w20 as well. A high VI flavor if you can get your hands on it would probably serve you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back