Sludge in engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I get rid of sludge in my engine? Mechanics tell me it's there, but they don't have the tools/ability to clean it out. What is the best way to clean it out myself?

Kreen or AutoRx OR a top quality cleaning oil like PU.

The sludge while ugly is probably not hurting your engine performance. The goal is to change the tide on the sludge build up. Any high quality synthetic oil (PP, PU, M1) will do it, but slowly. So will AutoRx do it slowly, Kreen is faster. Why are you in a rush?

Was it gooey sludge or hard crusted sludge?

If its gooey sludge you can try Amsoil Flush (but no other brand of flush) but exactly follow directions.

They are telling me it's gooey. They are also telling me it is affecting my emissions testing, that's why the rush.

Rotella t5 10-30 for two short 2000 mile oci with a Napa silver or carquest red filters followed by a 3000 mile oci on t6 rotella 5-40 full synthetic will do wonders if your car can accept those weights without issues . Replace pcv valve if u have one.

Originally Posted By: CityFarmer
They are telling me it's gooey. They are also telling me it is affecting my emissions testing, that's why the rush.

How much time do you have to pass the emissions test? As already suggested servicing your PCV system is a must. What kind of vehicle do you own?

Sorry folks. First time on a site like this.

2005 Pontiac Vibe with 117,000 miles. Again, mechanics tell me I have gooey sludge within the engine. They tell me they don't have the tools to clean it and I should probably trade it in.

Still runs great. In fact I get 36 - 37 mpg. 6 over what I should get. And engine on the outside is nice and clean.

What were you using for oil and what were your OCIs?
Either engine offered in this car should have done just fine on decent oil at reasonable OCIs.
If the PCV system is not working, either through a stuck valve or clogged hoses or both, sludge is certainly a possible outcome.
If the PCV system is your problem, fixing it and then running a change or two of any decent oil should fix any sludge problem this engine might have.

MMO, or Kreen if you want to clean it a bit faster. Just be sure the PCV system is functioning properly before you begin.

It would be nice to know if the pcv system is working. If not, neglecting it can lead to oil burning. Check pcv hose/pipe and connections for signs of leaking and be sure it's not plugged.

Just change the oil and get it retested...

No matter how much sludge there is, if that's the problem, it will pass with fresh oil... I would be sure the PCV system is operating properly as well...

Can you see in the oil fill hole? If so, tell us what you see. If not, then I'm curious as to how the shop arrived at their conclusion.

I've never heard of sludge causing an emissions failure. Certainly whatever caused the sludge could be causing an increase in emissions...you should concentrate on that rather than the secondary symptom.

Sludge can impede the normal operation of VVT-i, so yes, it can cause an emissions testing failure.

LOL! "Welp...yer engine is full of gooey sludge ya see"

What kind of mechanic is this? Dealership, independent/chain mechanic, oil change mechanic? Do you have the oil changed on a regular basis? Do you have any check engine lights? I would have it emission tested somewhere else if it was my car.

For more model-specific information, check out the Generation Vibe forums. Also determine your engine code (it should be on the emissions decal under the hood) and research that engine in the Toyota Matrix and Corolla.

As others have mentioned, try checking the PCV valve and lines. Then, depending on when your emissions test is due, change the oil or try one of the cleaners mentioned above. You could read for hours in the additives section.

Regarding yonyon's comment about VVT, I think there is a VVT filter on some of these engines that can be serviced, if that's part of your problem.

Before the next test, you might consider running a fuel system cleaner like Techron, Redline Si-1, or Gumout Regane. And go for a long drive to get the engine good and hot before testing.

It seems like a shame to get rid of the car just because the mechanic says it has sludge. I would try to find out more about the problem they say you have and try to fix it. Try another mechanic and emissions test station?

Im assuming its not the GT trim, if thats the case then it has the 1zz-fe engine from toyota. Pretty decent and reliable unit. Doesnt seem to have a sludge history/issue. You would do well getting another opinion. Maybe ask around for a reputed shop/recommendations from your friends/relatives.

Also in the meantime, if your motor is developing a sludge issue, with this heat spell, it definitely would not hurt to run a high detergent oil. 10w30 weight dual rated HDEOs are available pretty easily. Take your pick from Delo 10w30, Rotella T5 10w30 or if you are feeling spendy , Pennzoil Ultra has a very nice does of Calcium to help with the cleaning. If you have a Meijer near you, they have Maxlife full syn for 25 USD everyday, another cleaner oil.

In my experience, MMO hasnt done much to clean sludge, it does remove varnish though. It wont really do anything that a high detergent oil wont in this application. Just make sure you get a good oil filter to catch all that will get dislodged.

Go get your emission testing done.
With the car running so well, and getting astounding MPG, then you will be just fine.
Deal with the sludge later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back